Thanks To The Person Who Stole Our Pack

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thanks To The Person Who Stole Our Pack

Goreskimom
Last Sunday in the shuffle to get off the mountain, the daypack that we use to bring our lunch to the mountain was left behind in the back room of the base lodge.  We realized our mistake on the way home.  We meant to call the mountain on Monday, but the week ran away from us.  We came back up Thursday night and we were quite confident that the pack would be in the lost and found because this pack was the height of mundane.  It had nothing of the techno-razzledazzle that so many packs have nowadays.  Ours was a glorified bookbag-nothing that anyone would ever covet and decide to take for themselves.  Plus, it had nothing of value in it.  It had some empty tupperware, cheap plastic water bottles and some hot chocolate fixings.  (OK, I know the hot chocolate fixings would have some appeal)

When I arrived at the lost and found on Friday morning, I was shocked that the pack was not there.  I reported the news to my husband and we both shrugged it off.  I won the pack years ago in a triathlon and I figured my era of stewardship had ended...time for someone else to take over.  

We loaded the gondola and half way up the mountain we realized that there was something special in the bag: the little gray wool sweater that my youngest child wears as an extra layer.  It had a pattern of red and gray snowflakes around the chest.  The sweater had been worn by my husband and all his siblings as children.  It had been passed around all of the grandchildren and finally made it's way to us. My youngest would be the last to wear it of this generation but one of the cousins is getting married next year  Surely there will be another generation to wear this little treasure.  Many people might turn their nose up at a wool sweater in the era of super/wicking/heating/cooling/breathable/blends.  My mother-in-law is 75 years old and was a ski patrol for 25 years.  You can take whatever North Patagonia Face layer you might have...she believes in the power of wool as part of any ski layering ensemble.  She carefully cultivated and passed down a series of wool sweaters for children ages 2-10.  The little gray sweater was part of this collection and it was gone.  Now my husband and I were upset that the pack had been taken.

On Saturday afternoon I came in from the BR area with a few minutes to kill before I met up with my husband.  On a whim I decided to go back to the lost and found.  I asked the man who I have seen there many times before if a small, gray wool sweater had been turned in from the weekend before.  A few minutes later he came out with our sweater on a hangar, complete with the 2010-2011 hot chocolate stains on the chest.  I was so excited!  I told the man that my husband had worn the sweater as a child.  "Then it's an heirloom", he said.  

So to whoever needed my pack, use it in good health and thank you so much for sensing the importance of the little gray wool sweater and leaving it behind.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Thanks To The Person Who Stole Our Pack

Danzilla
Awesome story in that the sweater was returned, but seriously who needs a lunch pack that badly?  That is just strange.

To the person who picked up my brand new "level" snowboarding gloves last year while I was locking up my snowboard I would like them back please - or you could turn them in to lost and found:)
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
I get what your saying, but it strikes me as odd thanking someone who took your possession.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
I hear you.  I am directing my thanks to the fact that they left the one thing we cared about behind!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
You're welcome, and, thanks for that lottery ticket! I normally don't buy them, but that one was a winner! Aloha!
funny like a clown