classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thanks Whiteface Ski Patrol

zach
This post was updated on .
Over the years I have done my best to avoid those guys in the red jackets as I pop out of the woods; usually at Gore and sometimes at Whiteface. This past weekend I was never happier in my life to see them. Everyone who skis in the woods or on the edge sometimes thinks about what would happen if things went wrong. On Saturday I  found out while skiing the thin line of trees between Upper Thruway and Mountain Run at Whiteface.

The snow was beautiful and I had hit the line once earlier in the day. I saw the space in the trees. Unfortunately, I hit something with my right ski, missed a turn and in a flash was headed toward a large ash tree. Instinctively I put up my left arm, felt a hard impact, heard a snap and lost all feeling in my arm. My buddy Rick was there in an instant and then was gone. The great thing about skiing is that we are all concerned about one another. A friendly skier stopped by and I tried to wave her on. I started to lose focus. In less than 5 minutes my wife, who saw the incident from the lift, and patrol, who had been called by Rick arrived.

First one comforting face, then another, then a few more. Ski patrol assessed the situation and got things under control. They were professional, compassionate and understanding. It was great to see some friends stop by to be sure things were ok. No one ever wants to go down in the sled but after some really dark moments it was the only alternative. The driver was awesome. I tried to figure out our route. It is hard to tell when all you can see is sky and trees. Was it Boreen, Brookside or something else? I alternated between thinking about my kids racing further down on Thruway, how my wife was dealing with it all and when I would be able to ski again.

Once I arrived in the base patrol room, I was struck by how calm and comforting it was. It was like I was with a bunch of old friends. At the time it was hard for them to tell how mangled my arm was but they provided some valuabe advice on care off the mountain and away I went. I have a new respect and appreciation for what ski patrol does every day and I am not sure how they do it. Thanks to the Whiteface Ski Patrol, the Mountain Hosts (who I remember seeing through the haze) and everyone else involved.

Zach
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Thanks Whiteface Ski Patrol

MC2 5678F589
Ouch.

Good for Patrol, Bad for you.

What's the Prognosis on the injury?
Reply | Threaded
|

zach
Hopefully, it will be ok. Radius crushed near the wrist. 11 fractures, a 3.5" titanium plate and 11 screws. Still hurts a lot but I am starting to feel like skiing again! Gore and Whiteface are certain to see several weeks of powder. Enjoy.
Reply | Threaded
|

zach
Harv, by the way, time to work on a message post spelling and grammer check for people like me!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by zach
zach wrote
Over the years I have done my best to avoid those guys in the red jackets as I pop out of the woods; usually at Gore and sometimes at Whiteface. This past weekend I was never happier in my life to see them. Everyone who skis in the woods or on the edge sometimes thinks about what would happen if things went wrong. On Saturday I  found out while skiing the thin line of trees between Upper Thruway and Mountain Run at Whiteface. The snow was beautiful and I had hit the line once earlier in the day. I saw the space in the trees. Unfortunately, I hit something with my right ski, missed a turn and in a flash was headed toward a large ash tree. Instinctively I put up my left arm, felt a hard impact, heard a snap and lost all feeling in my arm. My buddy Rick was there in an instant and then was gone. The great thing about skiing is that we are all concerned about one another. A friendly skier stopped by and I tried to wave her on. I started to lose focus. In less than 5 minutes my wife, who saw the incident from the lift, and patrol, who had been called by Rick arrived. First one comforting face, then another, then a few more. Ski patrol assessed the situation and got things under control. They were professional, compassionate and understanding. It was great to see some friends stop by to be sure things were ok. No one ever wants to go down in the sled but after some really dark moments it was the only alternative. The driver was awesome. I tried to figure out our route. It is hard to tell when all you can see is sky and trees. Was it Boreen, Brookside or something else? I alternated between thinking about my kids racing further down on Thruway, how my wife was dealing with it all and when I would be able to ski again. Once I arrived in the base patrol room. I was struck by how calm and comforting it was. It was like I was with a bunch of old friends. At the time it was hard for them to tell how mangled my arm was but they provided some valuable advice on care off the mountain and away I went. I have a new respect and appreciation for what ski patrol does every day and I am not sure how they do it. Thanks to the Whiteface Ski Patrol, the Mountain Hosts (who I remember seeing through the haze) and everyone else involved.

Zach
This information came to me bit by bit over the last five days. I have to be honest, reading this, all at once, chokes me up.  I'm glad you are ok buddy.

Thanks from me too, Whiteface Ski Patrol.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
zach wrote
Gore and Whiteface are certain to see several weeks of powder. Enjoy.
I wouldn't bet on Gore. Whiteface got about 10" more than them. Gore was borderline boilerplate today in way too many places. Trees still aren't skiable yet.

Glad to hear you're ok though. Things could have been much worse. Lets hope for a speedy recovery.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Keith
11 Fractures!  Sorry to hear of this Zach.  I think of this sort of thing each time I'm riding the edge of a trail, searching for soft. On the up side, you'll probably be able to predict snow and rain better now. :) Heal Brother!

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
We've been trying to track down the specific patrollers and personnel who were involved.

With help of Highpeaksdrifter, Bruce Mc and Kiersten Barry we learned:

"Patrollers that assisted were Don Uhler, Matt Levenson, Mike Baker, Paul Baldwin, Ken Deutchlander. And Kevin Shaw in MSA."
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Having broken my right leg twice in Utah within nine months (in 2002 and 2003), I feel your pain.

I also wrote heartfelt thank-you notes to the meatwagon people at Snowbasin and The Canyons.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
In reply to this post by Harvey
Hey Mike,
I know crazy question but any idea on when you will be back on the snow?
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

zach
The good thing about having hardware installed is that you do not need a traditional cast and the bone has a fair amount of support with the plate and screws. The Dr. says it is okay to ride a stationary bike as soon as the pain is manageable and I should be able to get back to regular physical activities like skiing and running in 5 or 6 weeks. I thought about taking an easy run on Sunway this weekend but the family says they are going to take my skis away!
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
Sorry to hear about your accident, but I agree with you. My wife broke her arm on Mountian Run two years ago and patrol was great. Got her down and fixed her up a sling to head to the hospital with. Last year first run we skied was Mountian Run, she wasn't going to let the mountin beat her. Heal quickly.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
zach wrote
Everyone who skis in the woods or on the edge sometimes thinks about what would happen if things went wrong. On Saturday I found out ...
Maybe it's because I know Zach and his family... I could not get the thought of this accident out of my head on Saturday.  I still skied the edges, and made some turns between trees, but I found myself doing exactly what you aren't supposed to do ... focusing on the obstacles, not the spaces in between.

I had a great day, but between the low temps, and my own thoughts ... I was chilled in more than one way.
Reply | Threaded
|

zach
I have been thinking a lot about how my experience might change the way I ski and other than maybe slowing down a bit in the trees and being a little more careful when the cover is thin I do not think much will be different. As you correctly noted, you need to look at the space not the trees, rocks etc. This was one of the few times in 41 years of skiing that I "saw" the tree. I think it is wise to acknowledge the risk of what we do from time to time but life is short and I can tell you it is no fun to hang in the lodge so keep on looking for the open space!
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
bummer about the injury. wishing you a speedy recovery