The Artist Formerly Known As "Xanadu Meadowlands"

37 messages Options
Jamesdeluxe Jamesdeluxe
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

The Artist Formerly Known As "Xanadu Meadowlands"

I don't know how many of you have been following this story over the past eight years, but the troubled Xanadu Meadowlands -- of interest to skiers because of the the first indoor Ski Dome in North America -- has been rebranded as, ready for this, American Dream Meadowlands.

Two days ago, my wife was a participant in a focus group that was trying to gauge which type of people would consider patronizing the complex when finished. Apparently, the study was financed by the London-based luxury department store Harrods, which is thinking about establishing a U.S. beachhead as the anchor retail tenant at American Dream Meadowlands. Everyone in attendance (culled from the tri-state area) replied that they would only check it out once out of curiosity, but that there were simply too many other retail, cultural, entertainment, and restaurant diversions in the region to make it worth their while. Some felt that it may have interest as a "staycation" spot or something for tourists to visit on their way back to Newark Airport.

Would any of you pay to ski there during the off-season?
70s Gore Kid 70s Gore Kid
Reply |

Re: The Artist Formerly Known As "Xanadu Meadowlands"

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
x10003q x10003q
Reply |

I am 14 miles north of the Meadowlands. I would try the skiing once just to do it. I doubt I would do it a second time. As for shopping - the Seacaucus/Meadowlands is chock full of shopping. People are used to shopping in the area. I have no doubt that it would draw shoppers. There is a train that runs to the Meadowlands for NFL games. If they ever run that on a regular schedule they will be able to tap the huge density of Manhattan and all the other lines(Metro North, LIRR, NJT) in the NY metro area. This is why the place was built in the first place. There is talk of extending NYC subway to the Seacaucus train station. This would make the trip out of NYC even easier.

With the right mix of stores the shopping could work. As for the skiing, who knows?
Benny Profane Benny Profane
Reply |

In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Two days ago, my wife was a participant in a focus group that was trying to gauge which type of people would consider patronizing the complex when finished. Apparently, the study was financed by the London-based luxury department store Harrods, which is thinking about establishing a U.S. beachhead as the anchor retail tenant at American Dream Meadowlands. Everyone in attendance (culled from the tri-state area) replied that they would only check it out once out of curiosity, but that there were simply too many other retail, cultural, entertainment, and restaurant diversions in the region to make it worth their while. Some felt that it may have interest as a "staycation" spot or something for tourists to visit on their way back to Newark Airport.

Talk about a dinosaur from the go go easy credit years of the early decade years when commercial real estate saturated the world, too. I lived a few miles from there for a year recently (shudder, I still have nightmares). The only time that place will be full is on Sunday, when the Paramus blue laws keep the FOUR, COUNT THEM, FOUR major malls right down the road closed. But, then they'll just drop those laws, right? And now we'll have FIVE major malls within a ten mile radius open on Sunday. Good lord.

I call it the Mall That's Too Big To Fail. Christie got handed that bag of s*** after he was elected, and decided it was better to continue with the stupidity instead of bulldozing it. Thanks, Gov.. The world will be such a better place when and if it's ever finished. Thank God I don't live in that state anymore.
funny like a clown
jimvdak jimvdak
Reply |

I'm sorry, I would probably have to go ski there at least twice during the summer. You know, those times when you think you're going to DIE if you don't ski..and it's only July.
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
ausable skier ausable skier
Reply |

jimvdak wrote
I'm sorry, I would probably have to go ski there at least twice during the summer. You know, those times when you think you're going to DIE if you don't ski..and it's only July.
agree and I'd have to drive to NJ to do it

it really depends on the quality of the skiing - I don't know anyone that has skied in these things so i don't know if its worthwhile or not but if it was august and I was on the edge of facing another snowless 3 months who knows as long as they installed a metal detector to keep the Huntah types who are packing heat out
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Would I pay? Yeah sure. Maybe even 50 bucks.

But I'd be hard pressed to drive up there to do it.

Is that real snow in there? Or like a plastic substitute?

If it had moguls and no lines and was 10 minutes from my house I'd buy a season pass and use it as my work out.  

I'd be ready to rock on "outdoor" opening day.

Everybody knows the real happening indoor ski scene is in Dubai:

They got "trees."  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

Yep it's real snow..Those places are real energy hogs. Must cost a fortune to run too..

I might do it once, It can't be fun dragging all your gear there on a 95 deg day..
If it had bumps it could be fun, I bet skiing 75 vertical feet must get old real fast..

here's a article on indoor skiing..kind of cool

http://blog.hotelclub.com/worlds-top-5-indoor-ski-resorts/
"Peace and Love"
Hudsonhiker Hudsonhiker
Reply |

That's the dumbest thing since night baseball.
Snowhunter Snowhunter
Reply |

I'd do it once just out of curiosity but that would probably be it.  I imagine it will probably be overrun with kids 90% of the time.  Don't get me wrong, I love kids but I've been skiing more than once on a mountain swarming with undisciplined, manner-less kids and it was not fun.