classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
Locked 55 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The End of the World as We Know It

Harvey
Administrator
Snowballs got me wondering: Do (other) forum members think the massive and mounting US debt is going to cause an even bigger crash?

If so, are you preparing for it? How?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The End of the World as We Know It

campgottagopee
I certainly do, it almost has too. Things are not better, imo, and when that happens it almost always has to get worse before it get's better.

Governments on EVERY level are completely out of control corrupt, people are getting sick of their BS. There will be another revolution in this great country of ours and I think I'll live to see it. Hell, I'll be the guy waiving the American Flag on the front lines. Our American Rights have been taken away....that pisses me off!

I dumped my 3bdrm, 2 bathroom house (with a big mortgage) for a small camp that I could afford to run by taking my cans back. When shit hits the fan, I'll be ready.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Snowballs got me wondering: Do (other) forum members think the massive and mounting US debt is going to cause an even bigger crash?

If so, are you preparing for it? How?
Define US debt?  The National debt?  No.  That is mostly a ridiculous system that has been continuing and mounting since the Central Bank System was reinstated.  That system relies on debt.  That debt only becomes a concern when it is owed to other countries... but if they have a CBS it almost is funny money because they rely on our debt for their system to work.

Personal debt?  Yes.  That is what causes crashes.  The average citizens being forced into debt they can't afford (in some cases) or putting themselves in debt that has no chance of returning the principle (in others).  If you study a bit, you will see that no debt system we use will have hope of returning the principle + interest because the money does not exist to pay interest (hence our perpetual increasing national debt).  It may seem I'm contradicting my first statement but make the assumption that interest is never repaid and more money is put into circulation instead, and borrowed with interest at that.  That is really how it works - only the CBS can make money out of thin air and charge interest based on there not being anything to pay that interest back with.

Anyway, if I've confused you enough with debt, let's move on to revolution.  The US has a unique situation.  Historically a lot of what causes revolution is division of wealth.  The US has a HUGE division of wealth.  The issue is, that a vast majority of those that are on the lower end of that spectrum are also somehow brainwashed by those who retain most of that wealth that our country needs to be based on Christian values and a strong military.  Many of the others in poverty are fighting themselves to try to get ahead by black market means.  Even if revolution was in the air, I'd really wonder who would fight who.

My thought is revolution will not be in this country, but in the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India or China).  These are the countries WE are vastly exploiting to further our wealth and at some point the working class of these nations is going to demand what our working class has.  One only has to work with people from China to realize that they realize how much they are being held down when they get to visit our nation.  Most surprising to them, and myself, is that they can buy things made in their country cheaper here in the US than they can at home.  These people want our way of life - and IMO, they will get it.  And what does that mean for us and our economy?  If it is peaceful it will mean that our standard of living must go down.  Add 2 billion people to the mix consuming at the rate we do.  Where is everything going to come from?

Economists can make up funny numbers and phony bank systems all they want, but from a physical standpoint the resources do not exist for the amount of humans to live the life of the American.  And money will somehow reflect that.

My thought.  Be ready to go backwards.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Mike I wish I understood what you posted.

What got me thinking about this is the endless drumbeat of "gold" ads on fox news, cnn and msnbc.  I wondered if Snowballs had gold or what his strategy was.

Personally I'm not going the gold route.  I figure even if a massive collapse is a 50/50 shot the ONLY chance I have to retire is to take on risk (stocks etc).  I just don't see gold getting it done.

I have been debt averse my whole life, but took a big chance when a piece of land I've been coveting for years came for sale at a "decent" price.  Still not underwater by any means but it was a little crazy for such an old dude.

As far as going backwards... I'd LOVE any excuse to sell the house in the flatlands and live at HQ full time:

nyskiblog.com/headquarters

BTW Camp I get the feeling that youda bought that place regardless.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by MikeK
Some thoughts...

I think the baby boomers are gonna slam SSI like a tidal wave and the money is not there. They say it's fully funded until 2030 but much of it is gov IOUs. We're talking a HUGE amount of money that the gov doesn't have to pay back into SSI.

Besides SSI there are many people who are dependent wholly or in part on the gov. If the money runs out or runs short hardship will set in for tens of millions. Crime will soar.

We already see towns, cities around the country severely cutting their police forces due to lack of money. Most likely many more will follow as the crap hits the fan and things escalate.

Here's an odd thing. Say our national debt was 10 trillion and the year's budget deficit was 2 trillion. The press and politicians then say our national debt is/will be 12 trillion dollars. Each year this happens and the debt keeps rising accordingly.

So, why does it always go up that way ? Are we never retiring ANY portion of the debt ? Are we borrowing money to pay existing debts  and then repeat, repeat ? If so that's a real house of cards.

Mike raised some good points. Unlike him, I suspect the process of continually printing money will someday have large consequences. Hyperinflation, etc. We already see it happening to some degree. Grocery prices are rising and the products are getting smaller.

If things like this corner Uncle Sam so he can no longer print solvency, then the system crashes and the 10 of millions dependent on the gov go without and perhaps a degree of anarchy sets in.

The Fed has been pumping a trillion dollars per year into the economy for close to 6 years. Energy is abundant yet the economy is sluggish. Why ? Shouldn't it be better ?

They say the Fed has been buying gov bonds with this money. So, are there not enough other buyers ? What happens when the fed stops buying these bonds ? Will the gov go under funded or will it have to pay high interest to borrow ?

IF these trillions of dollars of Fed bond purchases ever get repaid, where does that sum go ? Trillions of dollars in the Fed bank ?
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
http://www.debt.org/government/

This explains it somewhat.

It is interesting to note that there was a time in history when we did not have a national debt:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/andrew-jackson-shuts-down-second-bank-of-the-us

Many economists recommend we go back to a gold standard to put 'check' on our money.  This is an attempt to limit inflation.  Really the problem is, and I know it's confusing, but there NEVER is enough money to pay our interest with the current banking schemes.

Think about it.  I'm a central bank, I make up some funny thing called money out of thin air and I let you borrow some sum, lets say $1 at 1% interest per year (let's make it simple).  So next year you owe me, the bank, $1.01.  But where do you get that extra $0.01?  I'm the bank, and I control the money.  So you need to borrow more money so you can pay back the interest.  See how it works?

You could in essence have made money from someone else, but they had to borrow that money from a bank.  You win, they lose - and they lose even more.

That is where that abstract thing we call money gets really weird.  You may say it's not abstract, you have cloth in your pocket that represents it.  But the majority of it doesn't go that way.  It's numbers on paper, or these days, a computer.  Those that know how to keep others in debt and limit their own perpetually enslave those people.  With a system like that you have to think every time you gain, someone else loses.

But my point in the end is, even if you don't buy into this money nonsense and it all crashes, what's real at the end of the day?  Natural resources.  So your gold.  Land, trees, minerals, horses, cattle etc.

Gold always made sense because it was rare.  But you can't eat gold, and if no one wants your gold, what do you do?

The point is there is only so much natural resource on this planet.  We've imagined that combined with labor into a monetary system.  But if we run out of resources, what does one do?  That is my point with BRIC.  Two billion more people wanting to consume more and more.  More energy.  More food.  More hydrocarbons.  At some point that's what crashes, and we simply are left having to deal with less.  Or the population must decrease dramatically.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote

BTW Camp I get the feeling that youda bought that place regardless.  
That's mostly true.

About 2 years ago I started looking for a place, not just any place, but the RIGHT place for me (hunting and skiing being my driving force). My biggest goal, not kidding here, was to prepare myself to be able to live on 1/3 of what I live on now. The reason for that is, like Mike said, preparing for going backwards. I just think it's going to happen, and when it does, nobody needs to worry about my sorry ass ----- I'll be just fine  

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Got any good groundhog recipes Camp ?

I've no gold harv. I suspect I'll just go backwards like everyone else.

The gov also owes large money to funds like the transportation fund and others.

Many of our institutions, schools, hospitals are dependent on gov money. They will also go backwards.

We're riding the wave of being the top dog and having the reserve currency. It masks the situation.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Found it interesting that when one of the agencies (forget who) downgraded our bond rating, people still seem to flock to the "quality" of US Bonds in a downturn.

I agree with you it ain't good.

Be an amazing thing if you HAD to balance the budget and it took an act of war (remember those?) to get an exception.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Harvey wrote
 Found it interesting that when one of the agencies (forget who) downgraded our bond rating, people still seem to flock to the "quality" of US Bonds in a downturn.
Well, we're the " cleanest dirty shirt in the laundry "..... for now anyway. That and the fact that it's the Fed whose buying most of the bonds.

I wonder if people are flocking to buy so to speak. Maybe they're not.  Maybe that's why the fed has been pumping in a trillion dollars per year.... I.E. in order to prevent the US from having to pay high interest rates on bonds, the fed steps in and buys mega to keep the interest rates low.

I've read China no long buys US debt. Not sure how true it is or if they've resumed purchases.

Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Pretty Grim topic here men .

being an economist by trade i have long been of the opinion that things were out of hand and at a very early age made the life style choice to do several things :

1. Live beneath my means
2  Hyper save , in other words pay myself first in SAFEinvestments and let the effect of 50 yrs of compounding interest to work . once the corpus is sufficiently sized become even more conservative .
3 work to become debt free by 40 and stay that way , we bought our home and stayed in it , it is ample size 2000 sq ft , updated and debt free ,and even tho we have the resources to upgrade to the mcmansion phenomina we chose NOT to do so
4 .Continue to live simply and under our means preserving corpus for future generations ,and teching them HOW to both HUSBAND resources while continuing conservative growth and expenditure patterns .
5 As a result we passed on many TOYS and still do even tho they are all easily within our reach . IT TAKES Discipline , It takes a healthy skepticism about the entire notionof consumerism , materialism and keeping up with the Jones . moreover if one UNDERSTANDS the power of Herzberg's Theory of Motivational Hygene ( Things , possesions are SHORT TERM SATISFYERS which do not equate to happiness etc etc ) Simplification is not only. Desirable BUT a  most effective strategy for retaining your wealth while sleeping well.
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
In reply to this post by Snowballs
What I worry about when I go to sleep at night is our natural places.  Say like the Adirondacks.

Increasingly we see the have-nots of this country wanting to develop, mine, frack or whatever these places to create jobs.  The haves want the same so they can continue to have.

And when our money well dries up and debts need to be paid, this is where we turn.  The only thing that has real value is natural resources.

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

At the very bottom, somewhat in the center is a figure representing total US unfunded liabilities..... 118+ trillion. This appears to be SSI, Medi and prescription drug costs whose figure are on the same line.

Other sources give a similar figure. Some much higher.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
Pretty Grim topic here men .

3 work to become debt free by 40 and stay that way ,  
Was waiting to hear you input, Warp.

Your 3rd point REALLY hits home with me as that is my goal. I didn't make it by the age of 40, and I don't think I'll make it by 50, BUT before I'm 55 I will be debt free. That's how I'll be ready for whatever the hell is heading our way. This is a grim topic, but one that isn't talked about enough, imo. I think it's reality and those who aren't prepared will be extremely sorry.

In terms of debt, part of the blame has to be put on the banking system/laws. When banks are loaning anywhere from 100% to 150% of RETAIL VALUE, wtf do they think is going to happen. That's where we're at now...upside down.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
This post was updated on .
warp daddy wrote
1. Live beneath my means
2  Hyper save , in other words pay myself first in SAFEinvestments and let the effect of 50 yrs of compounding interest to work . once the corpus is sufficiently sized become even more conservative .
3 work to become debt free by 40 and stay that way , we bought our home and stayed in it , it is ample size 2000 sq ft , updated and debt free ,and even tho we have the resources to upgrade to the mcmansion phenomina we chose NOT to do so
4 .Continue to live simply and under our means preserving corpus for future generations ,and teching them HOW to both HUSBAND resources while continuing conservative growth and expenditure patterns .
5 As a result we passed on many TOYS and still do even tho they are all easily within our reach . IT TAKES Discipline , It takes a healthy skepticism about the entire notionof consumerism , materialism and keeping up with the Jones . moreover if one UNDERSTANDS the power of Herzberg's Theory of Motivational Hygene ( Things , possesions are SHORT TERM SATISFYERS which do not equate to happiness etc etc ) Simplification is not only. Desirable BUT a  most effective strategy for retaining your wealth while sleeping well.
That is probably the proper way, but it surely is boring.  Here's my story, just for fun.  Feel free to scold me for my financial ineptitude.  Keep in mind however, my philosophy on life may be much different than an economist.

1.  I live at my means.  My means are not meager, but they are also not extravagant.  My goal with my paycheck is to experience life as fully as possible with each passing day.  That sometimes means I have days where I do nothing because I don't have money, but I do a lot of things that don't involve a great deal of money, but they involve a lot of preparatory investments.

2.  I save very little.  I live day by day mostly.  My vision is very short sighted in terms of my financial future.  I tend to think I could be dead tomorrow, and I want to get the most out of my life right now.  50 years of money does me very little right now when I could be enjoying something modest, and fun, while I still have the health to do so.  I plan to work until I can't work anymore, just because I can't see it any other way.  I'm not the type of person that is very motivated if I have a ton of free time.  Work limits my free time so I enjoy it more.  If I was independently wealthy I'd still do what I do, just a bit differently.  I also enjoy the type of work that I do the majority of the time.

3.  I worked to be debt free when I was young, and have only started to enslave myself to debt in recent years.  Mainly marriage changed that for me.  Before that I had never had a single loan.  I had zero credit.  The best thing about that was not having student loans, which I feel are the ruin of many young people today.  I am working to reduce my debt on stuff that has little value, like cars - I'll always have a bit I imagine, but less is better in my mind.  Home debt is my mortgage only.  I see little value in me paying that off quickly and being poor today.  I'm OK with paying almost double over time to have the advantage of being able to enjoy today.  I don't think anyone wants to be house poor at any time in their life.  I live in a modest house that I bought at a bad time.  It was during the $8k tax credit.  As such, it seems my house instantly depreciated by that much as soon as that went away.  I had suspected as much and was not eager to buy a house at the time but I found one that would work for me.  My wife now wants to move and I've entertained the idea.  I can afford more debt due to other changes in the way I live and may be willing to take those on in order to appease her request.  I am 33 and have no plans on being debt free, especially from a mortgage anytime soon.  I'd just as soon spread that out as long as I can and keep it manageable so I'm never house poor.

4.  I will continue to teach my generations to invest in their mind, and the outdoors, and to enjoy as much of life as you can with as little impact as you can.  That is my philosophy.  Money comes and goes; happiness, nature and knowledge are priceless.

5.  Toys.  Those which allow you to experience something new and/or expand your horizons with minimal impact are those which I invest in.  Instruments.  Recreational equipment.  Sports equipment.  Some entertainment equipment.  If your mind and body are to stay active you are going to invest in some of these.  I try not to jump on fads or fashions.  When I decide I want to do something I decide if I can afford it over a long term.  Even if it is financially a horrible decision, am I willing to pay for the experience?  That is always the question in my mind.  And then of course I try to think of waste and impact on our society.  But that has only come in recent years since I've tried to become less selfish.  I had always been of an ecological mind, but less of a conservationist.  In my advancing years I'm trying to think less of the ideal state in my head and more of the actual physical impact.

I can agree with simplification as well.  But I think of it from a different perspective perhaps.  My thoughts are more mechanical; more of the nuts and bolts.  I appreciate simplicity, and have always regretted when I have made changes in my life that have increased that.  Some, as I alluded to above, were a tradeoff for an experience.  Sometimes the experience was not worth the added complexity.  But had I not tried I would have never known.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Mike : would never propose to scold anyone ;)    I Am a bit of an iconoclast and really know what works for me and believe in live and let live ;)

That said we always prioritized  traveling vacations each yr , outdoor sports have been a staple of our existence since Moses was a lad . moreover another goal was a new vehicle every 3 yrs and cash payments for all college expenses .  i also have several guitars , amps , processors and other guitar crap that adds to my enjoyement as a self indulged geezer rawker. Hahaha

we enjoyed and continue to enjoy our selves immensely but did not go for the second homes , big boats , and other trappings that were possible but not prioritized . i guess i was lucky cuz my grandma and my dad provided those experience sfor us all when i was a young guy , and i got them out of my system early ;)

One should always live life , after all it is not a dreas rehearsal . My bias as an "Dismal Scientist". ( economist ) was to plan for a worst case scenario long term in order to cover contingencies while remaining self reliance . Every $$$ i earned as a consultant beyond my career as a college educator was INVESTED , every $$$ my wife made was invested , and fortunately ny principle career paid well and i maxed out my 403 while enjoying a defined benefit plan too. I was lucky , worked hard , played hard , saved hard and retired from fulltime work at 52 but continued to consult till age 57 working just 75 days a year  BUT all of this was ACCORDING to my LIFE PLAN that i worked out at AGE 25 .

yeah i am probably nuts and maybe a bit conservative now but the thing worked very well for us .My only wish is that folks begin to see that THEY are the ONLY force that can enable their own Self Reliance and once that insight is understood to begin to discipline themselves financially . I always taught my students when i was teaching and my colleagues later on when i went into college leadership HOW to initiate this kind of approach to enhancing their own futures EARLY on so that the miracle of compounding impacts their lives in their 5 th decade of life .l

Schools fail miserably whenever they fail to educate. Kids on this topic

Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
warp daddy  - EXACTLY!!!

I saw this economic downturn coming...  I feel bad for anyone that did not..

I re-invented myself as far as my main work..
Moved to where it's cheaper... and downsized dramatically...
Stopped spending and started saving - a lot...
Slowed down on my purchases for fun stuff...

And I've been thriving..  
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Thats the ticket D !!!

Hey mebbe we could also work a trade deal  hahah i got me some excess GEETARS and u got some excess Drum kits. ,  i always wanted to " bang on them bongos like a chimpanzee  ". like Knofler sang about in Money fer Nuthin

cept one thing i know 4 sure , You will forget more riffs than i will ever know !!

All the best A frame man !

warp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I doubt I could fine much fault with anything that has been said – I will offer my perspective as a student of History.
Capitalism and our government was never formed to allow the masses to prosper or run the country that is what a representative democracy is all about. It has always given the advantage to those that already have an advantage. This leads to a natural separation of the classes. However in the past the system was unstable enough to cause major catastrophic events which have redistributed wealth and re-shuffled the deck creating new opportunities. Wars, Economic collapses, or major changes in the technology landscape. Unfortunately most if not all of these “holes” in the system have been plugged. Case in point, we will never have another major military engagement, the wars of the last 25 years have done nothing but maintain the status quo. Catastrophic economic events have been stymied by “To big to fail”. The Microsoft Millionaire  phenomena has been reworked by the new age of venture capitalists. If you weren’t on the advantaged side of the line 25 years ago, there are few opportunities to get there now.

On the national debt, Alexander Hamilton figured out that being in debt to other nations was a good way to get them to leave us alone. If you owe your neighbor a lot of money you want to give him every opportunity to work hard to pay you back. You don’t want to blow up his house and put him on the street. On energy prices, I sat in a wonderful lecture a few years back on the economic strategy of OPEC. To simplify it, their goal is to maximize profits and they don’t do that by raising prices, they do that by keeping prices at a level that will keep the dependent countries’ economies just healthy enough that they stay addicted. At that time the target was $90/barrel. China is trying to do the same thing, not to overproduce, keep the prices low enough to control the markets yet keep our economy healthy enough so we continue to pay. If they refuse to buy our paper anymore it is likely because they feel they control our currency well enough and they want us to get a little healthier so we keep paying them and buying their goods. Hamilton’s policy is still at work today.

So how does one “protect” oneself and assure that you have a comfortable retirement. I am not sure you can. In 2000 I thought I was sitting pretty, sold a company bought a nice 40’ Pilot House Ketch and lived a Margarettaville life, then came 911- wammy one, came out OK but sold the boat. Then came 2008 and I had to rethink everything, I was in great shape but realized that I couldn't be cavalier, too many unknowns. I changed my strategy and realized with modern medicine I could live for another 40 years and also watched the "assisted living" eat up my parents assets, so I scaled way back and started consulting for fun and profit, how much do you need to retire – better rethink that one based on all the broken promises. Remember when there were retirement plans – gone. You use to have medical insurance – gone. You use to be able to save money but now inflation far outstrips passbook savings or bonds -gone. It used to be that land was a good investment, but you don’t own land, you own the right to rent it from the local government – people are beginning to figure that one out. Buy gold? Precious metals are only precious to those who can use them for industrial purposes. Just look at what gold has done – down 30% since 2012. So I don’t have the answer to this question, I just know that you need a lot of legs in the retirement chair. One of those legs better be being able to live simply and be happy doing it no matter how much money you have. The best thing you can do is die with a lot left over to give so your kids and other deserving folks can have more opportunities.

Some sobering thoughts: The government CPI is less than 2% but if you use the 1990 metrics its closer to 6% and real consumer felt inflation is running close to 10%. The system is now set up to separate you from your assets, at a rate where it is just slow enough where you don’t feel it happening. It is set up to make indentured servants out of your kids if you don’t have enough money to send them to school (if you are advantaged you will advantage your children with a paid education in the finest schools). They can’t even go into the armed services to get an education, the Army college fund was suspended in 2011 and GIs are finding that they get maybe 1 year of tuition for 6 years of service (another opportunity – gone).

So how can interest rates be so low? This is not new, it is the same thing that happened after WWII, after Vietnam (But not Korea – Eisenhower had the guts to pay for that with the tax code)  and is happening now on a regular basis, the Fed is manipulating interest rates to be low so they can “inflate” the debt away and hiding it with a bogus CPI metric. So take advantage of it, why sit on assets and cash, if you are not getting at least 10% on your investments then borrow now and stock up on durable goods (refurbish the house, new appliances, new car, but not new technology as it depreciates fast). So the trick today – borrow what you can at 2% and either spend it or invest it in something that yields 10% or more. Sitting on cash is like pissing 10% of it away each year and not even getting to enjoy it. But you do need some cash, it should not be the only leg in the chair because it is getting shorter every year.

The fallacy in our system is the saying that anyone who works hard enough can make it to the top. The truth is that there are only so many spots, you have to be lucky and working hard improves the odds but is no guarantee. It’s always been that way, but today there are fewer opportunities per person than ever before and the pie is getting awfully small with the world economy. Your kids are going to need all the opportunities they can get and the more you can help with that the better.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Excellant post PeeTEx.

Fair is a playground word, not a guarantee in todays economic reality . The one thing that is for certain is that limits exist , middle class aphorisms and goals for a better future are being severely challenged in this globalized economy

Many years ago,  From the first instance i assumed that things in general were destined to become very constricted . In that regard all along it was my intention to plan accordingly ,act decisively ,and abandon crass commercialism and build the best of my ability AND to teach my kids and grankids  how to do this

Even tho they are well educated (several are currently in or will be in the Rx field )The conditions are changing rapidly . Artificial constructs ,heretofore non existent are already limiting access to the profession by creating a very slender bottleneck by adding additional yrs of study and advanced degrees and clinical
 experiences all of which add considerable expense which add little professional value but limit access. To a decent income to few .

Altho OUR family goal is secure , the more important segment is to  teach my adult kids how to husband that resource and grow it and pay it forward to sucessive generations .

Your points are well thought out . Building , maintaining and. husbanding family resources is hard work and not for the weak at heart .