classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Fine Line Between Fun & Folly

P.MAC
This post was updated on .
As a new follower of NYSB I have loved exploring it. I recently built a Log Home in the same general region as Harv near Gore Mt. and my family and I do a lot of skiing at Gore and some at Whiteface. As one who didn't start skiing until my 30's and am now in my mid 50's, I like to think I ski with caution and care. My 14 yr old son is a different matter (in my thinking at least). We started him skiing when he was 5 and he is improving all the time. A few years ago he started to enjoy doing jumps. I encourage him to do them with preparation and care yet admit I cringe a bit each time.

Below is a pic of Jonathan doing his "Right Angle" at Gore in March of 09. I sometimes think he is just too "reckless."

Then this past Sunday I go for an afternoon swim with my family in our back yard pool and do a "silly" dive to amuse my  5 yr old daughter without thinking. The "frog" dive I attempted is something I haven't done in 30 years. I end up smacking my head on the bottom of the pool and breaking 3 vertabrae in my neck. After 3 days in the hospital it looks like I have been very fortunate. There is  90% chance I won't need any surgery and I have no paralysis at this point. The doctor thinks it will all heal and I just need to wear a collar brace for 90 days. A follow up appointment next week should tell more.

For a person who tries to ski and do all recreation with caution I feel a sense of shame and confusion at the same time. If I (the soul of caution) can do something like this and still get badly hurt, what are the odds of my son getting badly hurt with his "wreckless" side so prominent? Truth is, I don't know. As a person of faith I recognize that I do not control such things, all I can do is appeal to my son and hope he gains understanding of how wonderful and yet fragile life really is. 3000 years ago King Solomon wrote "Understanding is a fountain of life to those who have it, but folly brings punishment to fools."Even for those of us who  love to have fun and have lived long enough to have some "understanding" I am living proof that it is easy to forget yourself for a second and do something "foolish." It CAN BE (at times) such a fine line, and the consequences can be dire.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Fine Line Between Fun & Folly

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
P.Mac ...welcome.  As a blogger - I love people "exploring" Harvey Road.

Congrats on your new place. As you might imagine, I think North Creek is a cool place to put down roots.

You're not alone getting a late start to skiing. I started xc skiing at 30, and never rode a lift until I was 40. Jamesdeluxe got a late start too. (Anybody else?)  With the gear that's out there now, we'll all be skiing until we're 100. Powderqueen has this theory that guys who started skiing in "middle-age" are the most enthusiastic (read nutso) skiers she knows. I'm definitely in that category.

And don't beat yourself up. We all do boneheaded stuff. I took a major digger in the parking lot at Whiteface last year on some ice that was so thin I didn't see it. At least that's my excuse. I tore a brand new pair of ski pants and whacked my elbow so hard it still hurts (not kidding).  Luckily nobody saw me do it.

Can't wait to see your TRs from Gore and Whiteface next year. Get well!

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

HGTVfan
In reply to this post by P.MAC
P.Mac

I am so glad that you didn't suffer a more serious injury. I, also worry about my children being reckless and understanding how very fragile life can be. I wouldn't feel any shame over your "silly dive", I am sure you have used it as a teaching moment.  Good luck with the brace!!!

FYI, I would cringe if I saw my son do a jump like that.

HGTVfan
Reply | Threaded
|

Zelda
P.Mac ....

Today we were talking about the swimming thread ... your name came up ... we got into the fine line between fun and folly.

Neve decided she wanted to make you a card. Harv and I helped:

Get well P.Mac

At four - it's all about princesses.

Hope you are feeling better.

Z
"Go ahead and jump!" - Van Halen
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Ok Mrs 44, that was very cute!!!

Good luck with the neck Pmac. Agreed, you are very fortunate it wasn't more severe but don't be too hard on yourself. You've already passed the intelligence test....Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

Perhaps snow angels next time?
Reply | Threaded
|

P.MAC
Zelda - Thanks SO Much!! How PRECIOUS of Neve! I AM feeling better. The biggest "pain" is neck and shoulder spasms which are better now than 3 weeks ago. The 'mental' side is better too, and something I did not anticipate. Dreams of diving off of bridges, buildings and of course, back yard decks. Five days at the cabin was VERY helpful... 6 weeks in the house was getting to me! You know the two 'floats' at Minerva Lake? Well I was sitting on one and talking to a lifeguard. He assured me there were no stumps, just 10 ft of water under us. I decided to "get back on the horse" so to speak. When I got back to the beach my wife was just a little upset, but not for long! No bad dreams since!

PLEASE tell Neve I said THANK YOU! Lord bless her heart! As far as Harv helping... well it takes a big man to help color a beautiful princess!

PS - my little one will be 6 next month and it is STILL all about princesses! Princess pillow cases, dresses, videos, etc!!

PPS - From now on I will follow Van Halen's advice!! 'JUMP!" No Diving in backyard pools!! :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

P.MAC
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Thanks Snow! Yes, it is "the beginning" and my ONLY claim to having ANY!! :-)