classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
53 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Ghee Backside

gorgonzola
very cool RA, looking forward to more!

During this mornings' coffee clickbait of a monster road gap  huck I got sidetracked down a rabbit hole of Tate's story. I remember seeing it on social media but didn't get the whole story, sad to hear of someone so young passing.

We really do have to live for the moment and count our blessings.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
For the record, there is no best skier on the mountain in Jackson, the whole place is filled with amazing rippers and on any given day you are going to dropped by some unknown ripper.
I thought of your statement while watching this. Not only will you get dropped by some unknown ripper, he could be 12.

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
hardly unknown, some serious pedigree there
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That kid is on track to becoming one of if not the best freeskiers in the world.

In all honesty I’d be stressed to be his parents.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
raisingarizona wrote
That kid is on track to becoming one of if not the best freeskiers in the world. In all honesty I’d be stressed to be his parents.
LOL . . . that make you sound a lot older than you are. ;-)

In a TGR clip from the movie, 11yo Kai says something like thinking about "how far can I push it so that my mom won't be scared."

Good intro for folks like me who don't follow big mountain free skiing: https://www.rei.com/blog/snowsports/kai-jones-the-12-year-old-son-of-teton-gravity-research-founder-todd-jones-to-star-in-2018-film-far-out
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
marznc wrote
raisingarizona wrote
That kid is on track to becoming one of if not the best freeskiers in the world.

In all honesty I’d be stressed to be his parents.
LOL . . . that make you sound a lot older than you are. ;-)

In a TGR clip from the movie, 11yo Kai says something like thinking about "how far can I push it so that my mom won't be scared."

https://youtu.be/FP6AN1hQ6B4

Good intro for folks like me who don't follow big mountain free skiing:
https://www.rei.com/blog/snowsports/kai-jones-the-12-year-old-son-of-teton-gravity-research-founder-todd-jones-to-star-in-2018-film-far-out
I'm not so young these days! I'm 44 now. I know his Mom, I'd party with her back in the day. I wonder how she feels about it, it's that families culture so I'm not surprised but that shit is seriously dangerous. And for the record I'm not judging in any way, it's just interesting.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by marznc
From the article

Smart Bastard still lives !!!!

Kai and the TGR film crew are at Smart Bastard, a classic and notoriously bold line outside the gates of Jackson Hole that requires skiing above an exposed cliff, then launching a mandatory 35-foot air into an apron of snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
35 footer? Ha! Maybe that season where they had a record breaking deep base when they filmed that. I’ve hit it really early on a lean year and it was more like 60.

That’s me hitting the air in the middle of the 02 season which was a 500+ inch year. There was only like 8 of new on a fairly set up base so I bounced. Looks like 40ish in that clip. It’s a lot bigger with a 50 or 60 inch base.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Very impressive. Thanks for sharing. Real deal. You would give mamamikey a run for his money 🙃
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
At 44 you have a lot of happy memories of your adventures. You also have a beautiful daughter to share those with. At 44 you still have a lot of runway left.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This thread rocks.  Give me some time and I'll properly embed the videos.

And you fuckers better save some of this comment love for the final piece when we post it or I will ban yo ass.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
At 44 you have a lot of happy memories of your adventures. You also have a beautiful daughter to share those with. At 44 you still have a lot of runway left.
Thanks Peetex.

By runway I think you mean plenty of more time to take off or maybe discover a meaningful career etc.

Truthfully, I don’t want to do anything but build trail and retire to van living with a large side of back packing. My families judging and constant disapproval of anything I did or desired haunted me for ever but thankfully I let that shit go over the last bunch of years. Holding on to that sort of stuff is so toxic.

The best part is realizing that all that crap is what made me into who I am and drove me straight toward those amazing adventures. I’m thankful for it all now

At times I wished I was normal and understood most people’s desires for the American Dream and making money but it’s just not me.

Anyways.......

“Enough about me, I want to hear about you and what you think about me.”

-Micah Black
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I never wished I was normal. But ^^that really speaks to me.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp