classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Greek Peak List

Dougski
This post was updated on .
Camp, although I agree with your sentiment somewhat, enough with the f-bombs. We don't need that.

I am disturbed by how this tread has gone this season... it seems to have largely devolved into a couple of sides. One defends Greek and one that criticizes.

I'd like to twist this tread into a serious discussion on what improvements we've had over the few years and what we'd like to see in the future...

Improvements made in last 10 (or so) years (in no particular order):
1. Better food all around. Trax and the cafeteria have far better food than they did 15 years ago. I actually hope now that I have enough time during breaks to eat in Trax. I avoided the place 10+ years ago.
2. Better snow-making equipment and groomers as well as the willingness to spend $$ to stay open "no matter what", as one staffer said to me before Thanksgiving. I hope this attitude stays with the place.
3. A real, albeit flawed, 4 seat chairlift that replaced the old 1a chair.
4. More trails in the form of ski-able bike and glade trails than they had 15 years ago.
5. Footrests on Chair 5. (something my old back really appreciates).

Improvements that I'd like to see:
1. Get the replacement for Chair 3 installed this summer, and I wish Greek would install new lift motor and electrics on it, not just install the used equipment they bought.
2. Replace electrics and rebuild motors etc on Chair 1, 4 and 5. Replacement w/ new lifts is just not in the budget, as much as I'd love them to to.
3. Do whatever it takes to run Chair 2 whenever there is snow on Pollux and Caster. Its too hard to get to Pollux and Castor from Chairs 1a and Chair 4 and  Karyatas simply does not have enough capacity to carry all the green level skiers we get on school nite evenings, weekends and holidays. We have had many skier collisions on Karyatas when Chair 2 is not running. They may need to rebuild this lift again, hire more people, but it needs to get done.
4. Run Chair 5 from opening to dark. Every day we've got snow back there. Its fantastic terrain and can absorb many more people.
5. Keep improving snowmaking infrastructure, more tower guns and add snowmaking to all the Greek Peak East trails.
6. When busy, station lift line organizers at Chair 1a and helpers on Chair 3 so beginners don't fall as much.
7. Keep the stupid loading ramp on Chair 1a running well. I know they replaced it this year, but still this thing has proved problematic, but its here to stay. So either keep it running well or take it out of there. But be aware if it goes away, its going to be much harder to get onto that lift.
8. Market to and attract more out of area skiers. They spend more because they stay at the lodge, take lessons, rent skis and eat in the restaurants. Frankly folks, Greek has the hill and lift capacity (when we run all the lifts) to absorb more visitors. And Greek needs their money to do all the other things on this list!

Other ideas?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
Dougski wrote
Camp, although I agree with your sentiment somewhat, enough with the f-bombs. We don't need that.
Who the fuck do you think you are?!

Didn't mean to offend anyone.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Dougski
Dougski wrote

I'd like to twist this tread into a serious discussion on what improvements we've had over the few years and what we'd like to see in the future...

Me too

I'll give it some thought and report back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That sounds like a new thread.

This is supposed to be conditions.

Can you copy/paste and start a new thread?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by Dougski
Adding to the list:

Check lift tickets/passes to minimize revenue loss. They have yet to check the 2018-19 pass hanging on my jacket this year. My 2019-20 pass is in my pocket. Personally, I would bite the bullet and install an RFID system. Yes, it costs money, but will pay for itself over time. One of the scenarios our consultants developed included an RFID system.

They also need to seriously consider replacing the lifts. Yes, they can continue to rebuild them, but enough is enough. Similarly, we had a number of lift replacement scenarios examined, which were financially feasible based on very conservative numbers.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote

They also need to seriously consider replacing the lifts. Yes, they can continue to rebuild them, but enough is enough. Similarly, we had a number of lift replacement scenarios examined, which were financially feasible based on very conservative numbers.
Certainly  new lifts are needed and would be nice but for me I'd rather limp along what we have (if we can) and continue the improved snowmaking. Can you imagine GP with the fire power of Hunter? Man that would be sweet. As you said earlier the lifts are inspected annually so are they really that bad? I wonder who inspects them and if the results are made public. Anyway, what did you scenarios show. How much money are we talking to replace the lifts at GP. I certainly don't see the need for detachable or high speed, I think that would be a waste of money for the vert they will serve.
Reply | Threaded
|

The Greek Peak List

Harvey
Administrator
OK I broke it out and moved it.

Dougski you can change the name of the thread if you like.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Greek Peak List

trackbiker
 "3. Do whatever it takes to run Chair 2 whenever there is snow on Pollux and Caster. Its too hard to get to Pollux and Castor from Chairs 1a and Chair 4 and  Karyatas simply does not have enough capacity to carry all the green level skiers we get on school nite evenings, weekends and holidays. We have had many skier collisions on Karyatas when Chair 2 is not running. They may need to rebuild this lift again, hire more people, but it needs to get done. "

Chair 2 needs to go. It's one of, if not the, oldest lifts in the east. A refurbished triple there with a new drive would probably work fine and not cost as much as a new quad. Realign the towers and reopen Atlas all the way down to what they call Trident. They can leave it natural snow only.

"4. Run Chair 5 from opening to dark. Every day we've got snow back there. Its fantastic terrain and can absorb many more people. "

Agree. Or at least don't list it as open when it is closed. Whatever time they decide to open it, be consistent and make it someone's job to make sure the snow and lift report is accurate every day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Greek Peak List

scrundy
Agree about lifts 1,2,4,5 they need to be dealt  with.

Something I wish they would do is build up the snow a little higher on exit of 1A so it’s not such a pain in the ass to go right.

Parking lot has to be fixed  
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Rj1972 wrote

Certainly  new lifts are needed and would be nice but for me I'd rather limp along what we have (if we can) and continue the improved snowmaking. Can you imagine GP with the fire power of Hunter? Man that would be sweet. As you said earlier the lifts are inspected annually so are they really that bad? I wonder who inspects them and if the results are made public. Anyway, what did you scenarios show. How much money are we talking to replace the lifts at GP. I certainly don't see the need for detachable or high speed, I think that would be a waste of money for the vert they will serve.
Lifts are inspected by the state.

One scenario included a HSQ to replace lift 1, and the removal of the old 1A. However, HSQ's require highly trained mechanics, and on-going maintenance. They are rather complicated pieces of equipment. The one thing I will say is that HSQ's garner attention from a marketing standpoint.

The consultants ran various models and capital expenditures; however, all included lift replacements and infrastructure improvements.
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
A honest, up to date, an accurate ski report would be nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Lol. Where you going to get one of those?