The Home Mountain

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
66 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Home Mountain

GoreMountainLodge
I think the home mountain of Gore is going to continue to undergo a personality change in the years to come with more back country and Nordic options.   Wilderness Property Mgmt, Steve Ovitt and the Chazen Company (sp) recently received a grant to explore the idea of designing skiing, biking and hiking trails from the ski bowl to Garnett Hill.  As I get older the appeal of these sort of activities is greater than even high speed lift service and I’m glad these options in North Creek will continue to grow.  
Mark Parobeck, principal
GoreMountainLodge.com
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
^ Agree with this. I still optimistic about the future of the Ski Bowl/North Creek.

In theory, the area should be a Mecca for outdoor activities (biking, hiking, River, skiing). In practice, there's no need to worry about slopeside condos because houses downtown and condos at the summit sell for super cheap, going by ski town standards.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by GoreMountainLodge
+1

It would be great to see Steve's dream come to fruition.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
Should be public in the next week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
BRLKED wrote
Should be public in the next week.
The proposal or a response?
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I didn't know that.  It was a nice little mountain to learn the sport, race, and hit on ski club nights.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
My home mountain has changed over the years. When I lived in Kinderhook NY my home Mtn was Jiminy Peak and that was because that is where my Mom, my Dad and ski club went to. I moved to Michigan in 1984 and didn’t ski much at all for 15 years due to the size of the Hills here. When my kid was 5 we went to Mt Holly and I started skiing very often again so Mt Holly was my home area for about 15 years. Now I get the $99 weekend season pass for Caberfae Peaks in Cadillac,Mi and for the last 4 years we drive 3hrs and 20mins to ski my home ski area. I can say that when I have gone back to Jiminy Peak and back Mt Holly (which was this past Saturday) it is like putting on an old pair of shoes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Jiminy was a pretty cool place to learn. I think I need to revisit midweek or on a slow night when the crowds aren’t around. It’s still the same mountain right?  That place was loads of fun.
https://nyskiblog.com/first-time-skiing-jiminy-peak/
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
Jiminy still had two t-bars when I started skiing there. A year later they were replaced with the The beginner and novice(I think that is what they called it) double lifts. You could only go 3/4 of the way up for night skiing
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
Proposed plan, then to the DEC for
ump changes, it is a long game.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by jmc5040
jmc5040 wrote
New to the forum as I just moved back east. My home mountain was a ski hill in Pennsylvania - Bear Creek (formerly Doe Mtn). I left PA for NY (Clifton Park) and skied all over the place but Magic stole my heart from the get go. Three years later I found myself in Colorado skiing anything and everything since I was just SW of Denver. Turns out I7O will make a diehard skier not really want to ski so the only logical thing was to move to the mountains - Gunnison, CO to be exact. Nothing like skinning up Crested Butte before work. That mountain and the town had such as cool vibe. Thing is Vail swooped in and time will only tell what that does to the things I loved about CB... To go full circle this season I nearly got a pass at my original home mountain, but they would only allow uphill skinning during daylight. That doesn’t work with that job thing so I went with the smaller more local hill 15 minutes from my house (Spring Mtn). I loved the uphill workout in CB so that aspect was a must. Turns out Spring Mtn has a cool vibe that in a way reminds me of Magic. Yeah the skiing is not comparable, but that feeling is... The home mountain can be a lot of places to me, but they need to give me that feeling. Really pumped to check out Plattekill. Was up at 3am last Saturday ready to do the 3:45 drive but that mixed bag trashed my mood. Might head up Saturday just to check things out since the wife already has plans.
Welcome jmc. Sweet first post.

I forwarded a link to it to the Plattekill owners... they smiled and say welcome.

Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
My home mountain is also no more.  Remember Highmount?  Right next to Belleayre.  Back in the day we could get a bus ride and lift ticket from Woodstock for $10.  Family didn't have much money so I had to work a lot in the summer to save up for the winter trips.  Great place - seemed huge at the time.  I remember a T-Bar and Poma lift - maybe there was another one.  There was a trail through the woods where you went to take a leak and smoke a cig or doobie LOL!  Used to marvel at the "rich" folk that could afford to go to Belleayre.

Don't really have a "home" mountain now (ski all over) but if I did it would be Plattekill.  I remember riding the long T-Bar up to the top and was also there the year they put the triple in.  Think that was in the mid to late 70's.  Also remember a lot of runaway skis and people yelling "SKI!!!!".  Good times for sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Jmc  it sounds like your down in my neck of the woods, I ski blue mountain pa. It’s a Jekyll an hyde hill, not perfect but beloved to those of us in the lower lot. Here because I’m a Greek peak passholder also and have roots in the north country although I can’t seem to get there often enough these days. Met some great people on here for some fun times at Greek, gore, Platty, ‘face and  bcXcd ! Give me a shout if you want to head North some time
Reply | Threaded
|

jmc5040
In reply to this post by Harvey
I was definitely impressed with Plattekill and it certainly met my expectations. It was extremely refreshing to ski at a mountain that truly values the skiing. Everyone who I interacted with from ticket sales, bartenders, lift operators, to ski patrol brought that good energy. Thanks Harvey, for passing that on!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
jmc5040 wrote
. Everyone who I interacted with from ticket sales, bartenders, lift operators, to ski patrol brought that good energy.
This is why I love Platty, too. It makes me happy when i'm there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Very cool jmc.  Owners had a big smile when they saw your IG.

Sweet IG too BTW.
Reply | Threaded
|

jmc5040
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola, I used to occasionally go to Blue when I was in high school. Nice spot to be local to! Always looking for someone to drive up and ski with so thanks for reaching out!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
jmc that 3.5 hours puts you somewhere in PA?
Reply | Threaded
|

jmc5040
Harvey, yeah I’m in Gilbertsville, PA - 1 hour NW of Philly...
Reply | Threaded
|

camp
In reply to this post by Harvey
I've not always had a home mountain in my ski life. But for the past 13 years I've lived 25 miles from two different resorts. One, a 750 vertical hill, and the other 980'. I've been a regular at one or the other for many years and started working part-time weeknights last season. Got an afternoon session today after watching dry light snow fall all day. One of the main joys of my Home Mountain - proximity,

What was near boilerplate last night was groomed overnight and tracked & freshened all day. 3-4 inches of blower on top of boilerplate is still better than boilerplate without the blower.