The Home Mountain

66 messages Options
1234 ... 7
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

The Home Mountain

I've been wondering if the "Home Mountain" is in jeopardy.

With consolidation more and more people are members of one of the big collectives.

Will people stop having a home mountain? Will it matter? Do you care either way?

Wondering what people think about this shift in the business.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Ethan Snow Ethan Snow
Reply |

Re: The Home Mountain

I actually wish I had a home Mountain. I would have a home mountain but all my peeps have gone mainstream with the big collectives, and I like to ski with people.

I think I would still consider my home mountain Plattekill, I just haven't been home much lately because life's been a little Hectic.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Hudsonhiker Hudsonhiker
Reply |

West mt. Wednesday with grandkids homeschool lessons. Friday with old guys and gals. Sunday morning for church. West is doing great for us this season, new little lift lots of snowmaking upgrades and quiet friendly atmosphere.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
I think I’ve got a different idea of what “home mountain” means then most people. To me, it’s the place where you learned or spent the most time during your developmental phase as a skier, rather then just a spot where you happen to have a season pass. So for me it’s Jiminy Peak. I’ll always have a warm spot in my heart for that place, even though it has changed a great deal since I regularly skied there. For my kids it’s Mount Peter, even if they never ski there again. Thanks
Edit: more to the point, last year I bought a max pass- which was fun but had downsides too. This year I decided to put down roots and get a season pass at Plattekill. Of course the ability to mix it up with a couple days at other hills (FreedomPass) probably helped me commit
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z Z
Reply |

Yes this matters particularly for Orda homers
I love WF.  I chose to move my family there.  I have no other options unless a constitutional NYS amendment gets passed allowing it to be leased to ikon.  Zero chance of that with our current dictatorship in Albany as where else would he be able to rain money on the wrong things  for in the Daks
There are lots of us on this blog that live and bleed with this Mt.  mr lady parts keeps saying we can go elsewhere but with WF and maybe to a lessor extent gore peeps that is not the case

Some tourist was talking trash yesterday in the Gondi line saying why wasn’t there more grooming on a pow day.  What a herb. We locals get to bitch but if you are not invested (talking to you mr lady parts) just shut your trap
For better or for worse this is our Mt regardless of how much fun they try to take out of it.  
Wf's the best expert ski area in the east period!
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |

Z wrote
Some tourist was talking trash yesterday in the Gondi line saying why wasn’t there more grooming.  What a herb. We locals get to bitch but if you are not invested like mr lady parts just shut your trap
For better or for worse this is our Mt regardless of how much fun they try to take out of it
Holy SHIT!  Entitled much?

Keep 'em coming Z.  You are really showing some true character tonight.
Z Z
Reply |

Cunningstunts wrote
Z wrote
Some tourist was talking trash yesterday in the Gondi line saying why wasn’t there more grooming.  What a herb. We locals get to bitch but if you are not invested like mr lady parts just shut your trap
For better or for worse this is our Mt regardless of how much fun they try to take out of it
Holy SHIT!  Entitled much?

Keep 'em coming Z.  You are really showing some true character tonight.
You are something you wipe off you shoe after walking in a dog park
You want to defend a herb that complains about lack of grooming on a Epic pow day go for it.  Wasn’t that it powass that wanted all trees b netted.  Sounds like the same moron to me
What a fing Joey mt lady parts is
We are trying to help fix this mess while you don’t give a poop about any area.    Go back over my posts for like 10 years.  I was quite the WF homer but things need to be fixed.  Like I said locals talk a lot and the natives are definately restless.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

When you posted that pic from inside Platty in the wee hours of the night, that was really nice. Please TR that experience! Brownski makes a good point, I guess I'm conflicted between the two definitions.
    As a kid I had to go to Windham early and stay well beyond closing. Watching all the operations and knowing the people making it happen made it feel like home. Staying slopeside at Brodie for a few years in a row on every vacation and extended weekend did it for me there as well. I'm strongly considering going the way of Brownski next year vs Ski3. It's about my kids becoming good skiers and having fun together.

Harvey wrote
I've been wondering if the "Home Mountain" is in jeopardy.
With consolidation more and more people are members of one of the big collectives.
Will people stop having a home mountain? Will it matter? Do you care either way?
Wondering what people think about this shift in the business.
timbly timbly
Reply |

Well, most ski areas are in rural locations because mountains. Rural economies are stagnant or declining. Snowmaking is required in a way that it wasn't in the past which raises costs. So lift ticket prices are starting to climb out of the reach for the rural locals. As long as they're raising rates, the next obvious step is to turn the place into a ski "resort" rather than a ski area, raise the rates even more, and try to bring in more customers from metro areas--that's where the money is--and they're going to need a place to stay, eat, drink, since they're far from home. The locals simply can't sustain a ski area. Home mountains are out. It's a bummer for anyone that likes to ski regularly throughout the winter, but it offers the ski vacationer more options in an increasingly stratified economy...

Or to put it another way, how many NYSkiblogers drive 30 minutes to ski vs. 2 hours or more? What level of income does it take to make that happen?
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote

Some tourist was talking trash yesterday in the Gondi line saying why wasn’t there more grooming on a pow day.  
Yea - I was so bumed Gore did not groom more on Sunday (NOT).

My home mountain is the skiable terrain inside the blue line. The lift service sucks, grooming is nonexistent and the base lodge has no heat.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
1234 ... 7