19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Hudson Chair Opens at Gore Mtn

Harvey
Administrator
First riders on Gore Mountain's new Hudson Chair:

Bill Brannon - John Crossman (patrol) - Don Townley (lift operator)

First Chair

Post your pics here.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Hudson Chair Opens at Gore Mtn

Harvey
Administrator
Today's Press Release:

emily@goremountain.com

NORTH CREEK - Gore Mountain will celebrate the Grand Opening of the Hudson Chair and completion of its Interconnect with the Historic North Creek Ski Bowl on Saturday, January 29 at 10:30am.  Public is welcome to attend a ribbon cutting ceremony and hear speeches from state and local officials. Skiing will follow, or guests may enjoy some light refreshments in the recently renovated Ski Bowl Lodge.

The redeveloped terrain on Little Gore Mountain, which now features snowmaking and trails for all ability levels, will be open.  Guests can also ski “Eagle's Nest” from Little Gore's summit to the base of Burnt Ridge Mountain, which provides access to the rest of Gore Mountain's vast multi-peak trail system.

The new trails follow the profile of the same terrain North Creek’s earliest skiers traveled, and the lift line of the Hudson Chair was once home to the 1946 t-bar at the Ski Bowl. The expert “46ER” trail that is there was named in tribute to the Bowl’s rich ski history, and runs such as “The Oak Ridge Trail” and “Half-n-Half” maintain their same names and routes as well.

January 29, 2011, just four days after Gore Mountain’s 47th anniversary, commemorates not only the revitalization of the North Creek Ski Bowl, but also the exciting business growth in the region, that in accompaniment with Gore’s extensive improvements have made the entire area a more attractive recreation destination. The first Gore Mountain Restaurant Week begins Monday, January 31.

The North Creek Business Alliance shuttle, along with the interconnect, facilitates access between Gore Mountain’s Base Area, the North Creek Ski Bowl, Main Street, and area lodging properties.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Would love to get some more pictures.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Yikes..........that first chair pic. Looks like you better have your rock skis. How much snow is on the ground there?
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Harvey
Partek? It would have to be a used lift, in that case, right?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It is a Partek. There hasn't been much talk about whether the lift is new or used, but I guess it would have to be used.

With regard to the amount of snow on the ground - I'm estimating we've had about 45 inches since we last were above freezing. That estimate is for 1500 feet. Ski Bowl base is 1000 or 1100 so maybe that number is 30 or 35. The lift line run currently has no snowmaking so what you are seeing is that snow compressed. The run in that shot (liftline = 46er) will not be open tomorrow.

First time ever - all lifts open:

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Way back when, SkiADK days, there was some sourced info that the lift is refurbished. They were hoping to buy new, but the coin wasn't there.

When will Uncle Mikey blow those trails?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Snowballs wrote
SB - which trails are you asking about?  There isn't plumbing on 46er yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gore's Photo of the Day:

Gore Mtn Staff Photographer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Harvey44 wrote
Snowballs wrote
SB - which trails are you asking about?  There isn't plumbing on 46er yet.
The ones that are plumbed. Just curious, for the sake of the masses, if he will. I had a feeling there'ld be a strong initial interest in Skiing the Bowl, so some MM would be good.

I haven't been to Gore this season, but it would sure be nice for the Goreites if the Bowl got covered.

Ma Nature should take a dump on the Bowl.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
We skied down to Hudson chair around 11am. Peaceful Valley is a disaster - flat, flat, flat. There was a zoo at the new chairlift, so we didn't ski blue trail. Narrow and steep Pipeline spills dangerously into P.V.
Interconnect will prove itself a waste of resources.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
Everyone is different. We skied to the Hudson Chair down the Pipeline trail at about 11:45 all was quiet. Trails were narrower like older trails always were. Snow was changing and different in many spots from hardpack to soft groomed to ungroomed powder to bare spots and rocks. Was very nostalgic.  I skied and learned to ski at the ski bowl in the 50s so it was like coming home to me. I was very happy being in that section of woods again. I liked the new chair. I did miss the clang clang of the T-bar going over the towers thou. Skied 2 runs on Oak Ridge that was good quiet GOOD conditions I had fun. All in all we agreed it’ll be a nice addition to Gores terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
We really liked it too.

I'd really like to ski the interconnect with waxless XCD skis like the Karhu GTs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Press coverage of the Ski Bowl opening.

http://poststar.com/news/local/article_3118324a-2bf0-11e0-a279-001cc4c002e0.html

On the right hand side of that article, ^^^^^, under the video window, scroll down under the Editor's pick tab and you'll find a video of a ride on Okemo's Timber Ripper roller coaster.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So how was the trail back over to BR? Any problems?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Snowballs wrote
So how was the trail back over to BR? Any problems?
I'm assuming you are talking about pitch? Seemed ok to me. Truthfully I wasn't paying close attention.  Clearly my frame of mind when I'm out doing that stuff is different than the average person.  The only thought I had about the pitch came on the way down on Pipeline. I skated past a girl on REALLY short skis (snowblades?) says something that indicated she was cranky about the exercise she was getting.

I may have to add something to  "Harv's Disclaimer" to indicate that I like to skate.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
did Gore post that pic on their web site?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Yea, was curious as to the pitch of Eagle's nest. I've been down Pipeline several times and know what it's like. Wonder if Pipeline is what Denis N. was refering to? If so, I understand his reaction or anybody who's never been down Pipeline before.

I can imagine the feeling for people like Hudson Hiker being on the Bowl trails again after so many years. Quite the time machine for a ski down memory lane.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by riverc0il
Is IS a used lift with some refurbishment...another Gore Mountain bargain.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
With enough snow Moxham and the lift line could be entertaining. For the poachers (no one poaches at Gore right?), I'm told there is a lot of interesting out of bounds terrain....just don't go alone. When you get lost it's good to have someone to huddle and shiver while awaiting rescue.
I Think, Therefore I Ski