classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Meat Store of the North

Harvey
Administrator
http://www.ultimate-ski.com/features/found-spotlight-on-ski-country/the-best-breakfast-sandwich-in-ski-country.aspx
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Meat Store of the North

Peter Minde
Less than a mile from my grandfather's place.  Know it well.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Sometimes stop in there on my trips into the big city.
I would get their Italian wrap - was huge and enough for 2 lunches but they drastically cut it's size the last time I went through there, could have been the person making it didn't know how - but haven't been back since. Never tried their breakfast sandwich though.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

njadk
Never had the breakfast sandwich, but judging by the description, it would measure up to the b-fast sandwich offerings at the Raquette Lake Tap Room (a fun little place if you've never been). Meat Store of the North does have good jerky, but I prefer Oscar's Smokehouse for local meat offerings.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Personally I think Oscar's is the best meat market in NYS and my uncle and grandfather were both butchers.

Not sure this thread should not be in the off topics section but hey it's your web site.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris@GORE
I work in Warrensburg and eat, or purchase meat from both places. It's a dead heat. I like the steaks and ground beef from Oscar's. Jack Toney's breakfast sandwiches are good, the roll especially.
Oscars bacon cannot be beat. Jack Toney's braciole, or steak florentine, I need once a week.
I guess I like both places.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Not sure this thread should not be in the off topics section but hey it's your web site.
You asked for it Coach. My vision for the Woodstove: Skiing, Riding, Snow and The Mountains.

Skiing and Riding. Of course, from anywhere in the world.  Snow where ever it falls.

The Mountains is in there on purpose.  If it's related to the life and times, economy, environment or anything else about the mountains, it's in.

So while I'll accept skiing or riding or snow tales from the flatlands in the Woodstove, if it's a story about life, just normal life, to be in the Woodstove, it has to be about life in the mountains.

I know the blue line is down near Queensbury somewhere, but to me Warrensburg is the gateway to the Adirondacks, and  story about Meat Store or Oscar's belongs in here.  As well as threads like, hey what's going to happen to Steins or Wilmington. If you look back, you'll find most of those in Woodstove too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

CUontheslopes131
I tend to prefer Oscars for pork, Meat Store of the North for beef. The subs at the MSotN are excellent as well, but for me it's all about the breakfast sandwich.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Living north of there I've not had any of the breakfast sandwiches

We used to get steaks from Oscars and they were custom cut and very good.  Since we now get quarter cows from Moon Valley I gave not been buying beef anywhere else.  Oscar has the best ham, sausage, bacon etc that I gave ever had.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I think they would sell more subs is they made them mortal-sized. I don't think I've ever had their breakfast sandwiches, though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I don't know. Never stopped in the place (My breakfast is half digested before I drive by), but, I had the most amazing breakfast burrito on the way up to Taos when i was there a few years ago. We were staying in a friend's house in town, and discovered this tiny place on the way up one morning, more for the expresso drinks being advertised. The burrito paired with one of their mochas was to die for.

Is a burrito a sandwich?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
I think they would sell more subs is they made them mortal-sized. I don't think I've ever had their breakfast sandwiches, though.
As I stated, I think they have downsized them. Got one back in the summer and it was no longer mondo.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
PeeTex wrote
tBatt wrote
As I stated, I think they have downsized them. Got one back in the summer and it was no longer mondo.

I just had one a few weeks ago, and It definitely fed me for lunch, dinner, and then some.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I suspect someone just didn't make it the same way. Oh well, will try them again. I usually would bring one home and my wife and I would split it with enough for a snack later.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
The key with the sandwiches is to get a half. That is usually enough to split with someone unless you are really hungry or have a family of 4 to feed. I love the Italian. The bread makes the sandwich. Not sure where they get that bread from but its good.

I am more partial to Oscars. They have good cuts of meat, yummy cheese and the prices are reasonable imo. They always remember us when we come in. I like meat store too but if I had to choose one it would be Oscars. Never had the breakfast sandwich from meat store. That might make it an even fight. I plan on hitting hickory at least a few times this year so it might be in my future.

What is this after 6pm pickup service at oscars? I am intrigued.
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40

Because I saw it here I had to stop and try their breakfast sandwich. I've got to admit it was darn tasty. Was it the best ever? I don't know but that buttered roll and sausage was really good. Filling too. 2 for $7. I'll be back.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by dobermann
dobermann wrote
Danzilla wrote
What is this after 6pm pickup service at oscars? I am intrigued.
Call in your order before 4 pm on Friday and it's waiting for you at the storefront after they close at 6.  Benefit to us with longer commutes.
They leave it outside for you?
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Stewart's has fine b-sandwiches.

I smoke my own jerky, meat and cheeses. It tastes much better. Their cheese has very little smoke flavor. I smoke my cheese with alder for 4-6 hours BUT it must be wrapped and allowed to mellow in the fridge for 4-6 weeks or other wise it tastes like an ash tray. After that, it has an excellent smoke flavor. I suspect the aging time is why smoke stores don't put more smoke to their cheese.

Smokin turkeys this week. Dat's good stuff ! Briskets and steaks are the bomb smoked. I had these 2 inch thick NY strip steaks, smoked with Mesquite for 3 hrs, then on the grill, awesome.

Dang, now I'm hungry !