classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Most Epic Day at Whiteface 2/14/08

Goreskimom
This post was updated on .
My most epic day at Whiteface was Valentine's Day 2008.  The snow was plentiful, the temperatures were in the 20s, the wind was lying low and the sky was blue, but that was not what was important.  It was the first time I had skied Whiteface in 19 years.  In order to understand what why the day was so epic, I have to backtrack.  Nineteen years earlier I was in college and this guy I hung out with talked me into going to Whiteface to ski.  We went to the top of the mountain and this guy disappeared.  I felt like I was skiing with the Road Runner.  We would start down a trail and he would vanish.  I would find him waiting on the side of the trail, half expecting him to say "meep meep".  Despite the fact that he was such a good skier, we had a really nice day.  At the end of the day we drove out the access road to head back to campus and this guy said, "Well, now that I know you can get down the hill, I can call you up when we are 25 and we can get married." Now, that kind of shocked me because I was not expecting him to say that! So imagine when I returned to Whiteface 19 years later with that very same guy and we had three kids!  That was an epic day. Our kids were 9, 7 1/2 and a 4 1/2  year old with no poles.  It was our third winter skiing with our house at Gore and the kids were PSYCHED to finally hit Whiteface.  They knew the Mom and Dad's Whiteface story.  We loaded the gondola when it opened and skied bell to bell.  We skied bumps, trees, steeps, terrain park, all with my husband in the lead, the three kids in hot pursuit and me on the tail.  I think the day was so great because I could really see how much I had done in 19 years and take stock of my life.  I liked what I saw that day! This photo is of the kids snowshoeing around the same time we went to Whiteface.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Most Epic Day at Whiteface 2/14/08

K man
Love the story Goreskimom.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
Goreskimom wrote
We went to the top of the mountain and this guy disappeared.
You had me worried for a moment.

Goreskimom wrote
We loaded the gondola when it opened and skied bell to bell.  We skied bumps, trees, steeps, terrain park, all with my husband in the lead, the three kids in hot pursuit and me on the tail.  I think the day was so great because I could really see how much I had done in 19 years and take stock of my life.  I liked what I saw that day!
Sounds like it qualifies.

And of course nothing is more epic than a great long lasting relationship.

Congrats GSM. Love the pic too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
And it sounds like she's still in love. Way to sweep her off her feet Goreskidad.

Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
In love is the easy part...liking each other every day is the hard part.  In the "liking each other every day department", we are very lucky.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Goreskimom wrote
In love is the easy part...liking each other every day is the hard part.
That is very well said. It explains alot.