The Notorious East Esker Map and Profile (XC Ski)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Notorious East Esker Map and Profile (XC Ski)

Cunningstunts
Banned User
This post was updated on .
5 miles of frozen white hell if you don't do well on Nordic skis, located in in Mendon Ponds Park, NY it's perhaps one of the most perfect terrains for Nordic skiing.  With pitches more like one would find on green and blue runs at a dh resort which are constantly undulating and 700+ vertical feet around the loop, it's very much a "most difficult" ski trail.  One of the most difficult i can think of.

When the snow is right, it's an absolute joy.  Sometimes groomed, sometimes not.  It's fun either way with the proper skis.  The best skate it, most survive it.  Metal edges and dh skills help.

I went and walked it today as there isn't enough snow to ski it, but I'm excited for when the time comes.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The notorious East Esker

Sick Bird Rider
That looks like a lot of fun. Possibly a bit of suffering. Looking forward to the TR of the ski journey.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
I definitely plan on doing a nice one when the conditions are right.

It's really not much suffering.  The climbs are steep, but you get a nice dh to recover after each one.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Woodchuck hollow!  Love hallows!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
I have to admit part of my motivation for posting this now was me messing around with maps and GPS traces on Cal Topo last night.
Reply | Threaded
|

greif
I never thought it was all that bad, even on plain Nordic skis. Of course, I am never sure exactly where the trail goes to be on the traditional 10K course either! Any wander in the woods is a good day.
Gary
Reply | Threaded
|

pointpeninsula
One of my all-time favorites. I've beens skiing this trail since 1975. We don't get enough reliable snow cover much these days for the esker, but some of the other areas of the park have gentler, grassy terrain that's skiable on less snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Notorious East Esker Map and Profile (XC Ski)

johnnyb
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
I've run it hundreds of times both ways.  Figured how hard could it be to ski it?  Answer: Very.   I am very much a novice skiier and was on classic skis.  Scary as hell.  Fell at least a dozen times.  Humbling lesson.  But might try it again some day...
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Greif - the back part (east side) is really tough.  You'd know it if you were on it.  It's also beautiful back there.

Point - I hear you.  I haven't skied the full thing in years.  I'm pretty sure there's always some days where you can, but can't always commit.

Johnny - it'll get easier.  Skis that you really feel comfortable on helps, no matter what they are - not dh skis, but BC XC skis, etc.  I remember skiing this with really long wax classics, full groom when I was a kid and not being too bad.  Now I kind of think it's a lot harder than I used to recall.

I've never tried to skate it.  I can't even imagine.
Reply | Threaded
|

johnnyb
I'll stick to the easier North Meadow for now.  I think someone said they skied Southern Meadow recently.  I have never tried but I would think with a good base of snow, it wouldn't be too bad, since it is not very technical.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
South Meadow is easy but it often gets crust and crappy from the sun.

I've skied the south meadow and had a harder time than the esker just because of the ruts and ice.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Oh - and you can ski every trail in that park and everything in between, groomed or not.  It helps if people don't posthole though.  So if you are going to walk or run, please wear snowshoes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
North Meadow trails are skiable now.  Kind of chewed up from skating practice this morning and people already starting to bareboot/posthole.  Rock skis recommended.