Open this post in threaded view
|

The POT

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
Very interesting article

http://www.skinet.com/skiing/articles/smoke-screen

This paragraph blew my mind:

"When they do, they’ll be contributing to a business that raked in more than $3 million in tax revenues in Colorado in January 2014 alone, the first month recreational marijuana was legally available through retail outlets. This money is one reason why legalization is expected to provide a windfall over the next decade, with the state’s department of revenue anticipating $40 million in additional taxes associated with retail marijuana sales for 2014 alone."
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The POT

Harvey
Administrator
Agreed, interesting.  This is the quote that got my attention:

“The people who live this type of lifestyle can’t afford to support resorts like Vail that frankly cater to a demographic more like my own,” she claimed, adding, “you can’t be a destination resort for high-earners and a pot-town at the same time—you have to choose.”

Is that based on any data or...?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Cause rich people don't smoke pot, right??
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Harvey
So Vail caters to ski snobs?
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Interesting piece.  I can say from a WA state perspective, it's a non issue.  There was a lot of pot here before it was legal... and there is still a lot of pot here.  All of my friends who didn't get high before it was legal, still don't get high.  Along with a kick-ass ski area, in Wenatchee, we also have 2 medical dispensaries, 1 recreational shop, and a tier 1 production facility (40,000 sq ft +/-).  Generally, it feels as if most people still mainly come to our area for the dry East Cascade pow.  It terms of people getting high on the mountain... it's the same as it ever was.  It happens.  If you're not a pot smoker, you probably don't even realize it.  As far as I'm concerned, it's not something to worry about.  Most people know not to be stupid about it.  Of course, as with every bunch, there are still a few bad apples.  Eventually, I'm sure there will be a high profile RUI/SUI incident, and things will change, but for now things are good.  

The quote from the NYC woman about Vail is laughable.  

"The people who live this type of lifestyle can’t afford to support resorts like Vail that frankly cater to a demographic more like my own,” she claimed, adding, “you can’t be a destination resort for high-earners and a pot-town at the same time—you have to choose.”

This prohibitionist drug warrior obviously has her head buried in the sand.  I know many "high earners" who lead super healthy lifestyles and get high everyday.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
"The people who live this type of lifestyle can’t afford to support resorts like Vail that frankly cater to a demographic more like my own,” she claimed, adding, “you can’t be a destination resort for high-earners and a pot-town at the same time—you have to choose.”

Sais the lady hopped up on prescription drugs.  What an ignorant thing to say.  She needs a kick in the youknowwhat

When I am looking at places to travel too legal weed is on the pro side of the page.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
It's just another mechanism for the governments to take money from those that can least afford to part with it.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
PeeTex wrote
It's just another mechanism for the governments to take money from those that can least afford to part with it.
The government doesn't sell the pot... the product is produced and sold by the citizens.  The government taxes the sale at both the wholesale and retail levels.  The tax revenue is earmarked for healthcare and education.  

Do you think that the current mechanism of prohibition is working?
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Legalize it. /thread
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
The tax revenue is earmarked for healthcare and education.  
You are naïve, once taxes are collected they go into the general revenue.
I don't care if they legalize it, hell - make all the shit legal, heroin, crack, all of that shit.

What bugs the crap out of me is how all of society preys on the lower classes - but that is all political and not ski conversation. Come to think of it, neither is weed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
PeeTex wrote
What bugs the crap out of me is how all of society preys on the lower classes
I agree, better to have organized crime handle that job
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
In reply to this post by ml242
This no reason it not is BS. It makes people enjoy life and think about choice s, makes life, music sex art and what ever you enjoy better. It also great thing out their for depression and anxiety.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Thacheronix
Thacheronix wrote
PeeTex wrote
I agree, better to have organized crime handle that job
Correct - the organized criminals we have voted into office.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote

What bugs the crap out of me is how all of society preys on the lower classes - but that is all political and not ski conversation. Come to think of it, neither is weed.
In this case weed is ski related, did you read the article???
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
nepa wrote
The tax revenue is earmarked for healthcare and education.  
You are naïve, once taxes are collected they go into the general revenue.
40% of the revenue goes to the general fund.  The end result is a reduction in my property taxes through 2017.  Maybe I am naïve... Maybe the tax reduction is a result of effectively managed big government.  To be perfectly honest... I don't care where the money goes or how it is divided up... as long as I no longer have to pay it.  

PeeTex wrote
I don't care if they legalize it, hell - make all the shit legal, heroin, crack, all of that shit.
I couldn't agree more.  I am a supporter of extreme legalization.

PeeTex wrote
I disagree with this generalization.  I think everyone preys on everyone regardless of class.  That said, the primary purpose of the current system of criminalization is to prey on lower classes.  The proof is in the incarceration statistics.  The vast majority of people that are incarcerated as a result of drug violations are from the lower classes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
nepa wrote
  The vast majority of people that are incarcerated as a result of drug violations are from the lower classes.
That's the cart before the horse.

Even if those numbers are correct, it can also be said that substance abuse sufficient to lead to incarceration contributes to financial loss for people. This is also true all kinds of criminal behavior.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Snowballs wrote
nepa wrote
  The vast majority of people that are incarcerated as a result of drug violations are from the lower classes.
That's the cart before the horse.

Even if those numbers are correct, it can also be said that substance abuse sufficient to lead to incarceration contributes to financial loss for people. This is also true all kinds of criminal behavior.
I guess it depends on your point of view.  I see your point, but I disagree.  I don't think drug use should have ever been made illegal in first place.  Undoubtedly, there is a financial loss on many levels as a result of the drug problem.  It's more than just financial loss.  It's human loss.  In my opinion, the criminalization of a health problem is the root cause of much of this loss.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
Never thought I'd see the CNN anchor lady wasted on tv
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
I feel that people should be able to do what they want as long as it doesn't harm anybody else.  

the people who are anti-legalization tend to think that keeping it illegal keeps the number of users down.  This is obviously not true.

Take this article for example:  http://www.denverpost.com/marijuana/ci_27163543/nebraska-and-oklahoma-sue-colorado-over-marijuana-legalization

From the article:
"the State of Colorado has created a dangerous gap in the federal drug control system."

"Marijuana flows from this gap into neighboring states, undermining Plaintiff States' own marijuana bans, draining their treasuries, and placing stress on their criminal justice systems," the lawsuit alleges.

I have an idea, legalize it in your state, get the $$$ benefits and stop arresting people for victimless crimes.  They are creating their own problem from being on the wrong side of this issue
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Thacheronix
Thacheronix wrote
Never thought I'd see the CNN anchor lady wasted on tv
That's funny. So was Diane Sawyer being drunk on tv.