CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Please ride carefully and respectfully

Z
I'm a cyclist myself but I have to say that this year the aspiring iron men and ladies are becoming rudier less safe and more disrespectful of those that live on their venue.

There have been many accounts of urinating in sight of the road and homes.  Today there was an accident near the flume where cyclist touched whees and went down needing a paramedics.  The state police were directing traffic and 3 cylyst come blazing thru the accident  on the left side of the road without stopping.  The laws of the road fully apply to bikes.  This is not the Tour de France.

There is a public backlash building against the Ironman and it may no longer be welcome.  That would be a shame as it is good for the local economy.  The only way to fix this problem is to police other riders.  Call them out on bone headed moves.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Please ride carefully and respectfully

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I avoid riding in the Notch on 86 between the ski area and Lake Placid.  There are plenty of good to great back roads to ride on but all the Ironpeople just ride that one route over and over.  Dangerous as heck in my opinion
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Riders urinating in public and running thru traffic control, not good.  Guys riding two abreast despite cars coming up behind them, like I saw today:  boneheaded, they make people dislike cyclists.  On the other hand, today I also got passed by a police car that cut it pretty close.  And I couldn't get any farther over to the right.

Seems like over Memorial Day, the Ironman organizers could put out Porta-johns at strategic places on the bike route. There's a big turnout on 9N in Jay that would be perfect.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
Maybe I just don't know the area but Lake Placid seems lock in with only 73 and 86 to get access to put on any miles.

When I moved to Saratoga in '04, I was looking forward to doing some riding up near lake Placid. I did it once. I parked in Keene and rode 73 to Lake Placid and down 86 back to 9 and Keene. A little scary at times. (But not as scary as 73 from 87 to Keene. That I didn't bike) I mean, those are the only roads, so they get beat up by not only a harsh winter, but all the truck travel. And you're two feet from some of those trucks at times. I didn't like it very much.
Much better is due east of there on the more mellow back roads east of 9 and 87 down to the lake. There's still some climbing in there, though. Awesome views of the lake and the Greens across the lake at times. A cool thing to do down there is ride a little in NY, take the Essex ferry over to the rolling farmland across in Vermont out of Charlotte, and back. Awesome on a nice day, and enough hills to make it interesting. Good luck with a place to stop for refreshments, though. Quiet.
funny like a clown