classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Similarity between Ski Areas and Amusement Parks

snoloco
This post was updated on .
Recently I have noticed that ski areas and amusement parks have a lot in common.  You pay a lot of money to get in, then wait in line to have fun, and spend lots of money on food and other amenities, it is also very crowded. Many of the really popular ski areas have this feel, such as Hunter, Windham, Killington, Stratton, Mount Snow, Whiteface*, and Gore*.  The ski areas that don't have this feel are the classic ones such as Magic, Plattekill, Hickory, and Big Tupper.  Is this atmosphere a newer thing or has it been around since the earlier days of skiing?

*Whiteface and Gore only are like this at the base area during the holidays.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Similarity between Ski Areas and Amusement Parks

tBatt
Unfortunately Hickory and Big Tupper never have any lift lines, ever.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
OMG.  Is that a liftline??  It looks like a Critical Mass Event.  Do Gore and Whiteface get that crowded?  If that is what they look like, I don't think I could ski at one of the "amusement park like" resorts anymore on a busy weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
If i saw a lift line like that, i would just pack up and go home..
"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Marcski
On Holiday periods the Whiteface Gondola worst case line might be 10 mins and that gets you 2.5 times the vertical of that lift at Mt Creek.  There really is no reason to ski to the bottom on a busy day as the lifts higher up never have more than a minute or two lift line even on the busiest days.

Wind holds are a whole different animal though.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

njadk
In reply to this post by tBatt
This is true. If you go to Big Tupper planning to ride a chair lift to the top, it may take awhile before you reach the summit. You would have almost the same chance of finding a train that goes from Lake Placid to Old Forge.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Bad thing about skiing cross-country: skiing usually done 1st or 2d week in April.

Good thing about skiing cross-country:  no lift lines.
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Recently I have noticed that ski areas and amusement parks have a lot in common.  You pay a lot of money to get in, then wait in line to have fun, and spend lots of money on food and other amenities, it is also very crowded. Many of the really popular ski areas have this feel, such as Hunter, Windham, Killington, Stratton, Mount Snow, Mountain Creek, Whiteface*, and Gore*.  The ski areas that don't have this feel are the classic ones such as Magic, Plattekill, Hickory, and Big Tupper.  Is this atmosphere a newer thing or has it been around since the earlier days of skiing?  I can give an example of how Mountain Creek is very similar to an amusement park.  Below is a typical holiday lift line.

*Whiteface and Gore only are like this at the base area during the holidays.

Guaranteed that you'll do a pack and a half worth of 2nd hand smoke in that line at  Mountain Creek.
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
This post was updated on .
Guaranteed that you'll do a pack and a half worth of 2nd hand smoke in that line at  Mountain Creek.
Not just tobacco smoke and you will likely learn a few new words.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
...Magic, Plattekill, Hickory, and Big Tupper...
Each either in danger or a least temporary not spinning. I guess HPD isn't the only one who doesn't see the appeal.

Long lift lines, mass appeal, profitability.

Gore and Whiteface lines certainly seem on average shorter, and both mountains need supplemental funding to operate vs Stratton, Killington, etc.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
We're spoiled now. Back in the day, that line in the picture would be considered short. In the olden times, people would hang out in the sun, relax, and (gasp!) actually talk to one another. Now everything has to be immediate. No such thing as delayed gratification anymore.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Back in who's day? Matt you are not old enough to have skied before high speed lifts.

That lift line looks like lines in Europe where there is no ropes and organization to the lift lines
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I skied Mountain Creek. Once.

That line is actually a good lesson for all of you arguing about funding ski areas close to Jersey and NYC. Look at what people will put up with instead of driving another half hour to an hour.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Back in who's day? Matt you are not old enough to have skied before high speed lifts.

That lift line looks like lines in Europe where there is no ropes and organization to the lift lines
Yeah but at the end of the lift ride in Europe you get a 5k vert run...not 800' of playing bumper cars on skis on Jersey man-made snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
I skied Mountain Creek. Once.

That line is actually a good lesson for all of you arguing about funding ski areas close to Jersey and NYC. Look at what people will put up with instead of driving another half hour to an hour.
+1
i live exactly 1hr from MC . takes me 1.5hrs to get to hunter..no brainier..or 1:45 to platt
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
True, but that doesn't mean I can't wish for a simpler time. I also like the Wayne Wong freestyle era.

There was a good article by Warren Miller about this, but I can't seem to find it.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
snoloco wrote
...Magic, Plattekill, Hickory, and Big Tupper...
Each either in danger or a least temporary not spinning. I guess HPD isn't the only one who doesn't see the appeal.

Long lift lines, mass appeal, profitability.

Gore and Whiteface lines certainly seem on average shorter, and both mountains need supplemental funding to operate vs Stratton, Killington, etc.
Harvey gets bonus points for staying on topic.  Amusement parks have mass appeal which means long lines.  Companies that run them such as Six Flags make money hand over fist.  Some ski areas end up being like amusement parks because they are trying to make money. Some ski areas think that if they have a similar atmosphere they will have the same mass appeal to customers just like amusement parks.  The reason for this similarity I think is just businesses trying to appeal to customers.  More customers=more money which means a better experience.  This may not make sense because I'm sure that amusement parks do not appeal to a majority of the people on this blog.  However since I am 14 I am at prime amusement park age and I enjoy them a lot.
Reply | Threaded
|

I_BUILD_PARKS
In reply to this post by tBatt
yup, and OMG IT'S TEDWARD!
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
A lot of that is due to the massive amount of rooms that these guys built on these mountains.  In order to keep the rooms filled, guests need to stay more then a few nights.  With most people not wanting to ski 4 or 5 days, each mountain did what they could to keep people on the mountain another day or two or to get people to come to the mountain that won't ski at all.  Its why Jay has a water park.  Its why Stratton has a mini downtown.  Off snow stuff to do is cheap and is the the ROI is very high.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I have realized that my favorite amusement park which is Six Flags Great Adventure has many things in common with Whiteface.  Both do not have on-site lodging.  They are also underrated in their respective industries.  There is lots to do near the two places, Lake Placid at Whiteface, and the Jersey Shore at Six Flags.  They also are highly affected by weather issues (wind holds and ride issues).  They also have high numbers in height.  Whiteface has the highest vertical in the east and Great Adventure has the world's tallest and once fastest roller coaster (Kingda Ka at 456 feet tall and 128mph).  Dorney Park has some things in common with Gore as well.  Both are overlooked and not crowded despite being very easy to get to.  There is also no on-site lodging.  They are also both family friendly.