28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: This years Warren Miller film

BenedictGomez
ml242 wrote
Hey, how was the film?
The film was really good this year.  For starters, they left politics out, which was nice given it got annoying the last few years with preachy-ness.   The photography is FANTASTIC this year too, I really think they outdid themselves.  It's mostly skiing as usual, but there are some good snowboard segments as well.  I feel like they really tried to make it more like a real Warren Miller movie this season, which IMO is a good thing.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
BenedictGomez wrote
ml242 wrote
Hey, how was the film?
The film was really good this year.  For starters, they left politics out, which was nice given it got annoying the last few years with preachy-ness.   The photography is FANTASTIC this year to.  I really think they outdid themselves.  It's mostly skiing as usual, but there are some good snowboard segments as well.  I feel like they really tried to make it more like a real Warren Miller movie this season, which IMO is a good thing.
Generally, I agree with Benedict.  (Did I really just say that??).  It was a fun movie.  There was too much snowboarding and nothing really linked the different segments, but what ski movie really has a solid theme?  Photography and videography was amazing. Johnny Mosley narrates and they threw in some cool old school footage from the WM library which I always love.  It had been about 20 years since I last saw a ski movie in a theater. I won't wait that long again!
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Hey, how was the film?
Went last night.  It was a fundraiser for a local college club team.  Never knew there are 7 college teams in NC, most of them no where near the NC mountains.  One of the team members I talked to is from NYC but mostly skies out west.

I liked the film better than the last one.  Favorite segments were the ones in Europe, including Chamonix where the youngest skier was 33 and the Swiss speed riding stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

snowmonkey
The SO and I went to see the movie in Providence Wednesday night.  I thought they did a really amazing job with the film!!  I was really stoked about all the women skiers in the film.  They were extremely skilled!  Definitely great role models.  I also loved the fact that they featured older skiers as well.  I hope to be out there shredding the slopes well into my senior citizenship. I mean, look at all the amazing deals they get on season passes and lift tix!!  
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
snowmonkey wrote
The SO and I went to see the movie in Providence Wednesday night.  I thought they did a really amazing job with the film!!  I was really stoked about all the women skiers in the film.  They were extremely skilled!  Definitely great role models.  I also loved the fact that they featured older skiers as well.  I hope to be out there shredding the slopes well into my senior citizenship. I mean, look at all the amazing deals they get on season passes and lift tix!!
Have you heard of Pretty Faces?  The film created by Lynsey Dyer.  All women and girls, with plenty of big mountain skiing as well as everyday fun.  Making quite a stir during the Fall Tour in North America.  Scroll down a bit on the Unicorn Picnic homepage to see the trailer.

http://unicornpicnic.com

Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Hey, how was the film?
I went to my local film for the tickets and stayed for the movie. It committed a cardinal sin of ski movies and that was to be boring. The transitions with the fast cuts had a lot of the same footage used multiple times (yea, that big pillow drop was really cool the first FOUR times you showed it) and the fast cuts to transition didn't always fit and featured too much different stuff jammed into one.

The first Alaska scene and the last kite skiing scene were both pretty sweet. But it was kinda crazy... they are touching off major sloughs and triggering an avalanche and the scene felt like a bit of an ad "you can come here and do this too!".  And then the kite skiing scene, halfway through they mentioned the two of the biggest stars and innovators of that scene died doing it. I almost felt the movie owed a PSA to the audience about the dangers of extreme skiing... it just seemed to glorify it and the worst possible way without any reflection on the dangers. I guess I appreciate seeing what goes into that stuff more than the actual cool shots.

The athletes dialog was... just... I dunno. Moseley was pretty good (though there were one or two bad scripts) but the skiers talking about their adventures? Eh.

The jibbing scenes were probably the best part of the movie and I normally don't care for that stuff. WME took a page out of a lot of other play books and got out of the park and filmed more urban stuff. I don't watch many ski movies so I can't speak to the originality of those shots and stunts but I enjoyed them more than the skiing stuff. The Cham scene was boring as sin, Norway scene same. I've seen better shots from Japan in other films.

The best part of any WME film are when they incorporate old film from when Warren Miller was actually involved and filming. This film had a LOT of those older vintage footage (I don't know if that is a departure from other recent WME films or not) and they may be the highlight of the film... the older stuff, ha!

It wasn't a bad film. But I'd almost rather see a bad film than a boring film. It appears I am in the minority on that opinion thus far in this thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
No, I agree, it was boring as shit.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
The best part about these  is meeting your ski buds out for beers and skipping the movie all together