The Weather Thread 10/11

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
63 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Weather Thread 10/11

JasonWx
Baker is one of the snowiest places on the planet..I always check there forecast...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Weather update:

Well Hunter Mt seems to be the only ski area that receives a weather forecast. Hunter had the sense not to make snow until Thursday. Tues and Weds will feature flooding rains accompanied by high winds and warm temps. Now the good news, a strong North Atlantic ridge will form. Things are looking real good for the North East. Sustained cold with a chance of some natural snow.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Update 12/2
I love surprises , and the NAM is trying to pull one..The NAM and to a lesser extent the GFS are showing a powerful system that retrogrades in off the North Atlantic into Maine in the 72-84 hr time period . If this comes true Maine and parts of Norther New England could be in for some significant snows..

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/06/images/nam_slp_084m.gif
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
The 12z NAM has jumped on this system with both feet...Areas of Maine , NH, Northern Vermont could be in for a prolonged cold and snowy period starting on Sunday..As the storm stalls and intensifies a strong north /north west wind will develop..The lake effect machine should be in full force..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
JasonWx wrote
The 12z NAM has jumped on this system with both feet...Areas of Maine , NH, Northern Vermont could be in for a prolonged cold and snowy period starting on Sunday..As the storm stalls and intensifies a strong north /north west wind will develop..The lake effect machine should be in full force..
Is Northern NY going to see any?
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
it all depends on how far west the storm moves..as of now the bulk of the precipitation will be over Maine and the favored upslope areas of Northern Vermont..Jay, Stowe, Smuggs maybe as far south as MRG...today is only Thursday , so a lot can still change...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Single Chair Weather Blog:

http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/2010/12/2010-11-season-to-start-with-huge-bang.html

excerpt:

.....Of more significance could be a more potent weather system which should exit the Rockies late next week and have a bit more moisture to work with as it proceeds east toward the region. This storm will be a product of a more consolidated jet stream this year and like many systems this year, the question will be its ultimate track and its ability to gather moisture from the Gulf Mexico since many such weather systems can struggle somewhat in this regard.

Even at this early juncture I feel relatively confident for additional snows next weekend and this will make for a fantastic 7-10 days of early season skiing across northern New England. The even better news is the recent indication from the European Ensemble package which suggests a continuation of a blocked up and negative NAO dominated pattern through the 15th to 17th of the month. This will really limit the chances for any significant thaw or rain through the middle of December.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
NWS  put all of the Northern Vermont in a Advisory. I would think areas like Jay and Stowe should pick up at least a foot or more this week.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
That sounds nice, now send it further East!
If I had any money for gas, I'd go bum around Burlington and try to get some cheap skiing in.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Pics and email from Jon Lundin at WF:

My Skiing and Riding Friends:

Wish you were here! It’s the first real powder day at Whiteface in Wilmington, N.Y. and there are plenty of skiers and riders taking advantage of the fresh new snowfall. Whiteface is skiing 12 trails <http://www.whiteface.com/mountain/conditions.php>  today and the trail of the day is Lower Northway.
Reply | Threaded
|

Teleskiqueen
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Nearly a foot outside right now at my place  - near Mount Van Hoevenberg.
Adirondack Lifestyle
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
good to see all the wrap around from the storm that's north of maine...this should continue on and off for the next 24hrs
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This image, and the following one from 7pm seem to show the most risk of NCP from this weekends event:

As Jason said... it's a long way from now until Sunday.

May the force be with us.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Harvey44 wrote
May the force be with us.
It must be working young Skywalker. Current temps are 18 degrees. The Rebel force is pleased to announce it's lightly snowing here.Enough to cover hard surfaces. Young Wookies exiting the bus from Alderon are catching snowflakes on their tongues.

Not sure if it's an Empire trick or if the wayward flakes just got lost on their way to Vermont.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
The Empire will win this round my rebel friends.. sorry to say it will rain to the Canadian border..

Harv, Where did you get that Fakata map...

James please translate "Fakata" for our friend..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
The weather is changing dramatically in my neck of the woods (north and west of NY). I believe we get the leading edge of whatever system is about to hit you. Temps have risen 5 degrees in 4 hours, light snow has morphed into that sleety-snow but not quite freezing r**n thing.

Hmmmm

Good for base formation.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
70s Gore Kid wrote
Not to gloat (I never gloat, Harv), but the West Virginia areas near me are getting another dumping today.... Timberline is now open for Cross County on all natural, and Snowshoe ( known for stretching, admittedly) is reporting 40 inches at their summit the past 3 weeks. Saw a lot of that last winter too, when DC and Philly got hammered. Normally, we get freezing r@&n, but this December has been amazing so far.
I came across this cool video by Moeghoul last night. Snowshoe is looking GREAT:

Snowshoe, West Virginny 2010 from Mike B on Vimeo.

Sorry for the thread drift Jason. Back to the possibilities for Sunday night.