234 messages Options
1 ... 789101112
sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Whiskey/Bourbon/Rye/Scotch Thread

sig
All the grappa I have had is rockgut. Chug it down to dissolve things on contact. I only have it after a big meal if I want to start drinking again
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
There are good grappas out there
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 12 yesterday.  I doubt that it’s the First Fill of which you speak, but it’s a’ight.  It’s smooth, I’ll give it that.  Nothing I dislike about it, but it’s just not as flavorful as a nice bourbon, at least the kind of flavors I like.  Maybe that’s a good thing for whiskey, if you aren’t some amateur like I am.  I think they had Monkey Shoulder at the liquor store I’m using now, so I’ll get that next time out.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From the peanut gallery. I believe there is some brown liquor in my future. T minus 3 hours, I'm guessing.

Normally I would get Knob Creek and be done with it. Assuming you don't do something stupid, like mix it with something, you can't go wrong.

BUT...what would anyone recommend, that would be even more awesome for a guy who likes KC.

Post a photo for the visually impaired.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
From the peanut gallery. I believe there is some brown liquor in my future. T minus 3 hours, I'm guessing.

Normally I would get Knob Creek and be done with it. Assuming you don't do something stupid, like mix it with something, you can't go wrong.

BUT...what would anyone recommend, that would be even more awesome for a guy who likes KC.
Duh. I’ve covered this. The answer is always Wild Turkey 101
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Booker’s is Knob Creek’s big brah, and one of my faves.

Even though I’m prone to overpaying, I’ve found Wild Turkey Rare Breed at a similar price point to 101.  Yup, I’m a sucker for all the variants Brownski despises!

How good are your liquor stores up there?  If you see some Nikka from the Barrel you should try yourself some Japanese whisky.  

Maybe branch into a wheated bourbon, which brings a different flavor profile from KC.  Larceny is my go to there, and very well priced.  

One size fits all answers are BOOORING, even if from the pro!

Straight Kentucky style, what say you about Old Forrester, Brownski?  It’s pretty ok I think, and at $40 per 1L in my local liquor store it’s also priced well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Well yeah, you're 100% right. Bookers and Rare Breed are very good of course. My brother loves Bookers and since they're done in legitimate small batches it changes a little from one bottling to the next which helps maintain interest with the Bookers fanatics. I don't think I can remember what Old Forrester tastes like but I've heard good things. Russell's Reserve is a good one. Harv is a sort of an odd case because he has told me in the past that the only whiskey he's ever liked is knob creek. He likes Knob Creek but not Makers Mark. Like you said, wheated bourbons are an option, as are Japanese or Irish whiskies. But I almost feel like those are introductory whiskies when compared to Knob Creek. Generally, they're (mostly, not all) lighter and softer then Knob Creek, which is a traditional corn heavy + rye mash bill aged in heavily charred barrels. That's actually very close to the Wild Turkey formula. KC used to be a 9 yr until they took the age statement off. WT101 has always been an 8 yr old even though it's never had an age statement. KC is bottled at 100 proof. WT101 is of course 101 proof. I consider them very similar but a little different. Elijah Craig barrel proof 12 year is another great option. Normal EC small batch, Evan Williams Single Barrel or Jim Beam Black Label are good suggestions too. They're all Traditional high corn bourbon recipes. There are so many good choices, we could go on forever.
So the answer is....
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
It's funny. As much as I love WT 101. I haven't opened a new bottle in quite a while. I finished off the Yamasaki I had in the house last week, then killed a bottle of Bowmore that's been around awhile. Then some McCallan cask strength. I need to pick out something new now
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
So the answer is....
Wild Turkey 101!

Russel’s Reserve is what got me hooked on Caskers dot com, once upon a time.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Brownski wrote
It's funny. As much as I love WT 101.....
Classic “do as I say, not as I do”.

I get what you’re trying to do with Harvey, but with soooooo many  good bourbons I think he can take more than baby steps without getting overwhelmed!

Booker’s, though, would be too big a step.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
Booker’s, though, would be too big a step.
Yes.
Harv, if you already bought some Bookers, for gods sake put some ice cubes in there.

JTG4eva! wrote
Brownski wrote
It's funny. As much as I love WT 101.....
Classic “do as I say, not as I do”.
Guilty. It’s how I parent also

Went to the garage and these little guys were staring right at me

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Brownski wrote
Went to the garage and these little guys were staring right at me
Did you stare them back down into submission?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!

Scotch aged in bourbon casks.........as long as it isn’t too peat-y.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote

Scotch aged in bourbon casks.........as long as it isn’t too peat-y.
Actually You might really like Glenrothes. Similar to Glenlivet in some ways but more robust and muscular and not peaty at all. With some exceptions, you're safe from peat in the Highlands
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I forgot Henry McLenna Bonded 10 yr yr single barrel- though it was a better value five years ago before the price doubled.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Soooo......try anything new Harvey?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I found a half full bottle of Tomintoul 16 yr out there too. Now that’s some good shit
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Well, my garage is now clean AND painted, with a ping pong table....but I still want your garage!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
Well, my garage is now clean AND painted, with a ping pong table....but I still want your garage!
Ha! Mine is a mess. It’s barely functional. But there is some stuff worth digging for. I found a couple of bottles of rye from the Catskills distillery People too but I dropped that on my sister’s front step in Albany today.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I said ‘now clean’, because a couple of weeks ago mine was more than a mess, it was a less than functional embarrassment, with no bottles of interesting booze to be uncovered!
1 ... 789101112