Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Whiskey/Bourbon/Rye/Scotch Thread

Harvey
Administrator
campgottagopee wrote
Harvey wrote
So you are putting... what in your expensive brown liquor? Chlorine?

If I liked water in bourbon, I'd use our cabin water, really tasty.  No additives, I think.
No way you well water has additives unless you put them in there.
I was kind of teasing. Our water is delicious, but we've never had it tested. It could have arsenic or who knows what in it naturally.  That's all I was saying.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Harvey wrote
So you are putting... what in your expensive brown liquor? Chlorine?

If I liked water in bourbon, I'd use our cabin water, really tasty.  No additives, I think.
No way you well water has additives unless you put them in there.
I was kind of teasing. Our water is delicious, but we've never had it tested. It could have arsenic or who knows what in it naturally.  That's all I was saying.
Lol
Gotcha
I've never tested mine either. I do shock my well once a year tho. I have to real reason for that other than that's what my dad told me to do.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
What does shocking do?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Dump bleach down the well and voila! No bacteria in water.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Deep well water in the Daks for the most part should be good but Harv is close to a major industrial facility that could really muck with the ground water. If I were him I would do a full battery of tests every few years. Also, the pipe from your well to your house can develop a leak and then introduce bacteria so doing a $30 total coliform test a few times per year will detect that. It’s unlikely that you will have bacteria in a deep well, but once the water is near the surface all bets are off.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Helped out a customer with their big annual tasting today. This guy had hemp-infused spirits and whiskey. He showed up almost exactly at 4:20, which is kind of funny in and of itself....

.... the tasting started at 1 though.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
FYI
almost all booze imported from the EU will be going up in price de after the new year. If there’s anything you just can’t live without.....
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This is my Old Fashion time of year. I like them sweet so I make them with 100 proof Southern Comfort. Man those things are good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
campgottagopee wrote
This is my Old Fashion time of year. I like them sweet so I make them with 100 proof Southern Comfort. Man those things are good.
Oooh, Camp's comment reminds me that is also Flu Shot season, so better get some vodka. Thread drift into clear alcohol territory, I know. Can anyone suggest a whisky/bourbon/rye to mix with mandarin orange juice?

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Wild Turkey 101
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Brownski wrote
Wild Turkey 101
Holy flashback

During my days at Smuggs there was a Wild Turkey Club at the bar located at the upper mountain. These guys were locals and skied nearly every single day. Their table was in the corner of the bar and actually had a Wild Turkey Club sign on the wall behind them.  After their day of skiing they would all come in for a shot and a beer. They'd all stand up with their shot glasses in hand and say some chant they had made up. After belting it back they'd slam the shot glasses on the table then flap their arms like wings all the while gobbling like turkey's.

Those dudes were a riot, and old.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Broski --- any other sweet whiskeys out therre that I might try in my old fashions?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Wild Turkey 101
OK, thanks, will check it out. Blue Toes is less of a fan of the brown liquors (rum being a notable exception), so may take some experimenting. Affordable too, at $38 CAD.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Brownski wrote
Wild Turkey 101
OK, thanks, will check it out. Blue Toes is less of a fan of the brown liquors (rum being a notable exception), so may take some experimenting. Affordable too, at $38 CAD.
My reasoning is that at 101 proof and a traditional bourbon flavor, it’ll balance the sweetness but to be honest Wild Turkey is my answer to most whiskey questions. I like it for all applications.

campgottagopee wrote
Broski --- any other sweet whiskeys out therre that I might try in my old fashions?
Probably nothing as sweet as soco. If you want to save money there’s something called Southern Host out there. You may already be drinking it if you’re ordering your drink at the bar. If you like maple, Knob Creek Maple is pretty amazing. And Wild Turkey honey of course but you’ll have to adjust your recipe to account for its lower proof.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Maybe it’s just the terrible college memories of SoCo, and I need to keep an open mind.....but a SoCo Old Fashioned doesn’t sound good to me.  I guess that’s because I’m envisioning the post original/pre 2017 SoCo, which was a neutral spirit based “liqueur”, not whiskey!  No, a good old fashioned needs the bite of real whiskey (bourbon or rye, although nowadays experimenting with different liquors in classic recipes seems all the rage), enhanced by the classic recipe, including simple syrup.  I prefer my homemade Demerara heavy simple syrup.  I suppose I should give Southern Comfort another try, because I believe they returned it to a whiskey base in 2017.

Honestly, the original recipe Southern Comfort sounds decent...Heron began with good bourbon and added:

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm not a fan of the 70 proof, but the 100 proof is damn good to me. I'll admit to being a sissy though when it comes to whiskey.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I College we would drink from a double chamber shot glass - bottom filled with coke, top with southern comfort
https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Daniels-Licensed-Barware-8310/dp/B00210VD3A/ref=alp_dpwidget_a_m_?th=1&psc=1&smid=A1O35OSAM4W7XD
It looked like the one I linked. These were bottoms up shots. But the worst I remember was wild turkey shots in beer.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
PeeTex wrote
I College we would drink from a double chamber shot glass....
Bah, fancy glasses!  We’d do these, mostly with rum, called them machines.  Pick a glass (depending on the size drink you wanted....how many shots), fill most of the way with Coke, place cloth napkin/t-shirt over top of glass, use finger to push napkin into Coke (creating a well), slowly fill well with booze, then slowly pull out on edges of napkin.  Voila, booze sits on top of Coke.  Shot followed by chaser, no fancy pants glass required!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Wild Turkey 101
Wild Turkey Rare Breed (116.8)

I’m a fan of barrel proofs.  Bookers is still one of my favorites.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
Brownski wrote
Wild Turkey 101
Wild Turkey Rare Breed (116.8)

I’m a fan of barrel proofs.  Bookers is still one of my favorites.
Agreed- Both good choices but a little pricey for mixing and I feel like there is no whiskey with a better quality to price ratio then the 101.
1 ... 45678910 ... 12