The Winter of 1969

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Winter of 1969

raisingarizona
Oh dang! Did that gun toting off duty cop tell you to cut that hair?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
1969 was the year of the infamous Mayor Lindsey storm.
I have a book the chronicles in technical detail all of the major winter storms from 1955-1985

69 was a hell of year for the NE

The book is called

Snowstorms along the Northeastern Coast of the United States 1955-1985
 By Paul J Kocin and Luis W Uccellini

This is a must have if your a weather nut
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
JasonWx wrote
1969 was the year of the infamous Mayor Lindsey storm.
Our family drove up to NH from NJ on Thu, Feb 6, 1969, for a long weekend of skiing. We skied Waterville Valley twice and Cannon once. On Sunday, Feb 9, we woke up to steady snow. We skied WV until about 2 and then left for the ride back to NJ. The snow at this point was insane. Luckily, the day before, my dad made a reservation at some motel just off I-93 in NH for Sunday night. On I-93, we saw cars just veering off into snowbanks and people walking on the side of the road. We got off the highway and went to the motel. The lobby was packed with people sitting out the storm. I have no memory what we did for dinner. The next day the storm was winding down around noon and we left for home. The 6 hour ride home took 10 hours.

Potentially missing school and work for snow and skiing made a big impression on me. In this case, school was closed for me and my sister on Monday and my Dad's office in Manhattan also was closed Monday.