The Winter of 1969

23 messages Options
2000yearoldskier 2000yearoldskier
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

The Winter of 1969

Maybe the greatest snow year ever in the east.
By February the reports from Vermont were 100-150 inch bases. The tram face at Jay was skiable to those with less than perfect form. Stowe  that spring was deep well into May. Then there was that party in Bethel N.Y. in August. It was some year. Where were you in the winter of '69?
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Re: The Winter of 1969

2000yearoldskier wrote
Where were you in the winter of '69?
My way-back machine doesn’t go that far
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

In reply to this post by 2000yearoldskier
I remember the winters of 92-93 and 93-94 being pretty darn good on the EC. I would drive up to Vermont a lot on the weekends, sometimes taking 10 or so hours to get to the MRV in blizzard conditions. I remember skiing a lot of powder in Vermont and the cats. I suppose time can sweeten the memories and my idea of high quality skiing has probably changed but I sure had a lot of fun.

Anyways, as good as it was or at least the way I remember those years , they weren’t anything like how this article describes the winter of 69.

https://retro-skiing.com/2012/11/the-winter-of-1968-69/

MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

2000yearoldskier wrote
. Where were you in the winter of '69?
11.5 years from being born.

My dad was 19 and went to Super Bowl III with my grandfather.
BRLKED BRLKED
Reply |

I was at the summer party, started XC skiing the next winter after freezing my butt off waiting in lift lines at Great Gorge [mountain creek] for 45 minutes. Haven't had a locked heel since.
Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |

BRLKED wrote
I was at the summer party, started XC skiing the next winter after freezing my butt off waiting in lift lines at Great Gorge [mountain creek] for 45 minutes. Haven't had a locked heel since.
Haha - mountain creek flipped ya!

Don't grow up, it's a trap.
marznc marznc
Reply |

2000yearoldskier wrote
By February the reports from Vermont were 100-150 inch bases. The tram face at Jay was skiable to those with less than perfect form. Stowe  that spring was deep well into May. Then there was that party in Bethel N.Y. in August. It was some year. Where were you in the winter of '69?
Hmm, maybe that's why I had so much fun learning to ski.  My first winter on skis was at North Country School near Lake Placid in 1968-69.  Every student had leased gear if they didn't have their own skis and boots.  There was enough snow by early November to open the hill above Round Lake (part of the school's campus) in the afternoons for hike & slide.  The NCS ski hill with the rope tow opened right after Thanksgiving.  I managed to pass the little test that allowed beginners to ride the rope before winter break.  Back then students got to ski all day 3-4 times at Whiteface, usually on Mondays.
BRLKED BRLKED
Reply |

In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

2000yearoldskier wrote
  Where were you in the winter of '69?
I was 3 clomping around my grandparents farm in Bakersmills
frk frk
Reply |

I wasn't skiing yet but that was the best winter for sledding and tobagganing. We sledded hard everyday after school and on weekends we kept going into the night until we were too cold and wet to continue. We enjoyed demolition runs, trying to knock each other off our sleds. We enjoyed piling on as many people as possible on a sled or toboggan and then launching downhill. We tried to see who could go the farthest. Of course, we built jumps. We must have burned a thousand calories and fell asleep as soon as we hit the bed. And best of all, the snow stayed on the ground the entire winter without gullywashers or warmups. In fact a warmup was the temp hitting 32 degrees. Great times.