The future of skis

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The future of skis

PeeTex

I have been fascinated by what can be done with this and how it will change so many things, particularly around part logistics - At IMTS in Chicago last month they 3-D printed a car and drove it off the stage. I worked with Nissan Motors back in the late 90's we were going to create a final assembly manufacturing cell that could be placed at every dealer, custom made cars on the spot - interesting idea, but ahead of it's time, now the time is near.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The future of skis

pro2860
3D printed a car? Was it like a Flintstones car?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
According to Ulanoff, the car is capable of traveling at up to 50 miles per hour, but the early models will only be able to go 25 mph. This means they will be "neighborhood safe," eliminating the need for seat belts and airbags, but not street legal. The first models are expected to go on sale in the next year, and will cost around $14,000.

Neighborhood safe? Does that mean it's good for driving over to the neighbors to tie one on?

Don't worry officer it's neighborhood safe
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
skimore wrote
According to Ulanoff, the car is capable of traveling at up to 50 miles per hour, but the early models will only be able to go 25 mph. This means they will be "neighborhood safe," eliminating the need for seat belts and airbags, but not street legal. The first models are expected to go on sale in the next year, and will cost around $14,000.

Neighborhood safe? Does that mean it's good for driving over to the neighbors to tie one on?

Don't worry officer it's neighborhood safe
You need seatbelts and airbags if you're going 25mph. Watch some crash videos of offset frontal impact even at that speed. Nevermind if someone much larger than you vehicle hits YOU at a higher speed.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Are there seat belts and airbags on the shortbus?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
You need seatbelts and airbags if you're going 25mph. Watch some crash videos of offset frontal impact even at that speed. Nevermind if someone much larger than you vehicle hits YOU at a higher speed.
Is it safe for the trees?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
3d printing is an amazing technology.  I have a customer that uses the motors the company I work for makes in one of these.

They are coming out with new materials that can print metals.  Not sure currently it makes sense to 3d print such a large part but I would not be surprised to see it used for parts for bindings.  In 10 years who knows?  This technology is advancing really fast.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
They have been printing with metals (metal powders mixed with epoxies) for awhile now. I was helping a grad student working on a part for sub sea that needed to withstand 15k psi for deep ocean down hole.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Yes they have but I doubt current 3d tech could print an usable ski edge.  Stainless Steel is a whole different animal.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Yes, and they only printer the car body, the drive train, suspension and electronics were all bolted on.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
The skis look like fine beginner sticks but I have a tough team buying into plastic skis. Foam was terrible, I don't see why plastic would be better just because it's "printed". Skis kind of have their own magic with different layers of wood here and there, and carbon fiber is just an amazing material that is used on everything I buy. Not saying they won't get there -- i'm actually quite impressed -- but for me skis are more than the sum of their materials.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Yeah, but remember, ml, the early attempts to put Carbon Fiber in skis didn't go very well at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I could see ordering up a pair of skis for exactly my weight and skiing style and terrain preference, they print them right in the shop, no inventory to carry. I get personalized graphics as well.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
That is a pretty cool concept.  It's probably 10 years away.  Right now a 3d printer that can do multiple materials and make a 3 foot part is a million bucks and it can take a day to make a large part.  Size thru put and cost all will rapidly improve.  The sticking point for skis would be the sintered base, stainless steel edge and titanium.  I don't think you will be able to print them with the right structural integrity.  

Plus you can't print laminated wood so it would have to be a foam core.  To me wood core skis are always better than foam core.