classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The high cost of living the skiing life

Z
Writing a lot of big checks this month for NYSEF program fees, my Max Pass I bought, and the airfare for the Spring break trip I booked.  Got me thinking about how much money as a family we spend on skiing.  Once upon a time before my son and my wife and I both teaching skiing we used to turn a profit on skiing as a family.  The costs went up for us when we committed to a cabin in the mountains and went back down when we moved here full time.  Now ski racing is the real cost driver.  We will spend more on skiing this year than we do on our mortgage and property taxes combined.  Its starting to sting  a lot .   I am not wealthy and part of why we can live this life is its actually pretty cheap to live up here in the Daks compared to down in the suburbs.  Ski teaching money doesn't help like it used to.  In 2000 the last year I taught at Killington I made more per hour than Orda pays me today while they have more than doubled the price of lessons over during that period.

Those of you that have second homes in the mts are likely in the same boat.  Others that are young and just starting out in life probably spend a good deal of your disposable income on skiing.  A family of 4 that are road tripping a weekend are spending probably at least a grand.

Snow makes us do things that doesn't make much economic sense but we love it and live it.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The high cost of living the skiing life

ml242
It was always expensive but it does sound like you have figured out how to make it cost more. I generally ask my gear to go 5+ years now which helps. I did get some new down mittens at the end of last season on sale and hope they're as good as advertised because i'm stuck with them for awhile.

Not getting a pass has forced me to be more creative and look for deals or other opportunities when the skiing isn't good. Ski and Ride VT, gas fillup deals, etc.

I'll ski BC for marginal snow but might throw an ice climbing or hiking day here and there as well if the skiing is complete garbage. At this point, as long as I'm outside I'm happy - I don't have anything to prove, and no obligations at the moment to a future ski racer, etc.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
Several years back (maybe 2007 or 2008) somebody was giving me flack on FTO grief about building the cabin, the cost and being tied to one mountain etc.

I did the math and included everything, passes, plowing, taxes, gas etc and the cost came out to $6000 a year.  I'm sure its much higher now, in large part because we added to our land and needed a loan to do it.  But as you imply I just don't look at it that way.

First I have no issues skiing the same mountain(s) over and over. Plus I love nordic, especially having it our property. Also I have this fixation about spending money on things that hold value like land and buildings etc.

In the end it's all rationalization... the real reason I do it is because it feels natural and I like it!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Coach : i am seriously NOT being a smart ass here or being critical at all ,this is a rhetorical question that you need NOT respond to ..

But WHY are you spendingTHAT. Kind of money on ski racing ? I mean more than your mortgage and taxes seems really high . What are your expectations ? Is it ego gratification or vicariously living theu the offspring ? AGain not being critical or expecting an answer but have you really done some soul searching on this question ?

Could there be a middle of the road commitment that would satisfy the need   or is it a WANT .?.

At least a seroius share of That kind of maney may well be invested elsewhere for your sons education , your retirement , some other more tangible and value based concern  while still feeding the Skiing  bug .Are you expecting your son to turn pro ? Im sure the boy is good but the odds  are long and life is short . I

I mean you absolutely no direspect but simply wonder at THAT level of outlay for such a transitory want / need . You're a smart guy so imagine you have and /or are mulling this by the very nature of your post .

Whatever your rationale , i wish you and yours nothing but the best

Cheers
W
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Clinton made him do it!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The NYSEF program fees are likely the largest cost (outside of western ski trips).  My dad and I are getting Ski3 passes this year, although I won't be skiing with him all that much.  I may throw in a trip to Tremblant or Killington, and there's a fully funded trip that Clarkson runs that goes to Smuggler's Notch.  Skiing expenses in my family should be relatively low this year, when compared to other years.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Not sure what you're paying in mortgage + Property taxes, but I know what I pay, so let me assume that you're paying somewhere in the range of $10,000 to $20,000 for the year?

Definitely seems like a lot of money for someone to spend on a kid's ski racing. I don't have kids, so I don't really have a sense of the benefits to these costs. But I would definitely ask myself the questions that warp asks (particularly if you're sacrificing your own retirement plans for this training).

I probably don't turn a profit on skiing (it'd be closer if I didn't spend so much at Ski Area bars), but our household definitely does.

Like anything in life, though, you can do it cheaply, or you can do it more expensively. A girl I know moved to Alaska and hasn't bought a ski pass in years. Still gets 30-40 days a season skiing backcountry. I'm sure tBatt doesn't spend much on skiing (beyond his massive gear collection). My brother moved to Tahoe, started working for Squaw Valley, and doesn't pay much at all (I gave him some old gear, bought him a new ski jacket & pants for Christmas, and he gets a free ticket for working there).

If you're paying retail, full lift ticket prices, or for a bunch of kids' lessons, of course the expenses are going to creep up. But really, you're paying for conveniences: the convenience of walking into a store & using the shop's expertise to select gear, the convenience of walking up to the ticket window & not having to plan ahead, the convenience of having other people teach your kid while you go ski, etc.

For you, Coach, you're paying for the ultimate: coaches, gates, timers, travel, camps, etc. Ski racing is definitely expensive (but so is hockey, dance, etc.). At least your kid is doing something that you can do with him when he gets older. So in that sense, it's money well spent.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
As I recall Z you are going to sent your kid to Northwoods school because you think he will get a better education than in the local LP public school, if your counting that as part of your ski costs than your real reason for send him there is not the education but because you think it will improve his ski experience. If you are sending him to NW because it's a better school than just add that to the cost of living up in LP - if you lived in a better school district than you would not need to send him to NW.

You said you are planning to send him to ski camp in the fall, as I recall the ski camps fall on dates he would normally be in school so you are double spending or spending for time in school that he won't be there. Figure out how much you are paying per day for the private school and then multiply that by the days he will miss.

You are probably buying him all new equipment as the rules are changing this year, some of that you might be able to find used - but no, gotta be the best.

Now here is the hard truth - if you think this is going to help you kid get a ski scholarship, the odds are very very slim - usually would have to be an under 50 point FIS skier and unless he is blowing away everybody in NY and just about everybody in New England - ain't going to happen. So ask yourself - why?

We went through this with my grand daughter. Good racer, but about at her freshman year in HS her parents stopped drinking the NYSEF Koolaide and realized that although it was a good program, it was not leading to anything other than having a really good skier. She stayed with NYSEF but only because she loves to race but they did not go crazy believing they just might buy her way into being the next Mikaela and in the end, they did not want one anyway. Read the book "The Fall Line" and ask yourself if you want your kid to go through the injuries common with world class skiers, is it worth it and even if it is - will he get there.

So it doesn't sound to me like you are really complaining, but rather it is a form of bragging.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I don't believe that Z lives in Lake Placid.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
My son is in 8th grade this year so he is still in public school and is going to do NYSEF winter term for End Of Nov thru Christmas - that includes tutoring so it does not count as missing school per the local school district.

We live in Jay so our housing costs are low compared to what those that live in the suburbs would be experiencing.  I'm budgeting $14k for racing expenses including meals and travel for away races, equipment, race fees, coaching.  I bought a Max Pass some of the races will be covered by that and I have a friend with a house at Killington I can stay at for free plus we planned for our one family vacation of the year to go to Mt Bachelor which is on the Max pass.  I am using hotel point for the stay in Bend but I didn't have enough AA miles to fly us all there so we booked on SW - love those free bags.  Depending on if my wife or I get any new gear we are looking at a total of probably $18k less what ever after tax we make teaching.  My wife is having issues with her knee so she may not be able to teach as much this year.

Am I bragging - no.  Am I crazy - maybe to certifiable.  I'm pretty certain my son will ski FIS level but how well - who knows.  He did really well last season in NYS at 100 lbs he now weights about 125 as he hit his growth spurt.  He is more athletic than I ever was at his age and if he fills out to my body size at 16 he should do pretty well.  My top end guess is maybe he can ski D1 in college.  He loves it and its a sport he can do all his life and enjoy with me so my tolerance is better than if he was playing Hockey.  He is an only child so that impacts our math somewhat.  

NW only will add to the cost next year by at least another 10 grand so yeah I'm going back and forth that I might be off my rocker doing this.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Coach, you are affording your son an amazing experience he will cherish his entire life. There is nothing better than ski racing, and doing so at a school you value.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Hey Coach thanks man , i feel your angst here , really we ALL want the very best for our kids .

On a personal level, When my son went D 1 in 3 sports at University  , he did it ON HIS OWN  .

I did nothing , absolutely nothing except encourage , support and attend his meets .  I had coached at the college level in two sports , but he did this on his own and in sports that I had no formal training in.

I think if your son is very young . Frankly its really a stretch to project D1 potential realistically at this pointand age   There is a lotta time between 9-12 th grade to find out)  you may want to let him compete till he loses either competitiveness or interest .be prepared change ....it happens .

If he shows outstanding reaults and for D 1 in most college we are taking all state , and region leaderboard types

Kids in their teens have the interesting ability to shift gears very fast in hs and when he discovers women and other diversions in high school well just expect the unexpected . Skiing MAY not be the be all to end all 🤓  Id try and find some balance financially and let the rest take care of itself .

Skiing with him the rest of your life ,IF he chooses to keep skiing is a reward in itself .

All the best
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Coach Z wrote
 Am I crazy - maybe to certifiable.
Yeah probably but we do crazy shit for our kids. Last time I checked its still up to you how you spend your money. If you're laying out that kind of dough I'd guess you're probably cutting back in other areas. Hopefully your son appreciates what you're doing for him and takes it seriously.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This is why I like you Coach. It's obvious how much you love your kid. Nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Take a good long look at the D1 choices. There are not that many and their rosters are small.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
There are many things that I think ski races provides that help build mature adults.  It takes hard work, determination, time management, and handling failure well to succeed.  I also think that NW will be a far superior educational experience compared to the local HS.  I think the cost will be worth it
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
 At least your kid is doing something that you can do with him when he gets older. So in that sense, it's money well spent.
And THAT is exactly why I make the investment now. And how I justify it to my non-skiing better half.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
True Zona , coach is a good dad trying to do his level best ....gotta give all dads and moms that do that major props!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Definitely the life lessons from ski racing make involvement in NYSEF for ten years all worth it,  as well as the life long ability to be one of the best skiers on any hill, east or west coast.

Agree with others on the D1.  Be careful what you wish for.  Not only are programs limited, but so are rosters, especially limited for Americans (that's another thread).  Top NYS state champs struggle with the international recruiting, make get one run and land 80-90 place, not eligible for second run,  if they compete at all (vs just hold a spot on the team).

Is the college focus skiing? No ROI there.  Is the college focus academics (meaning getting a job)?  Go D3 and have fun!  FIS is overrated and ruining the sport.  

Enjoy these years, I did as a parent, just keep in all in perspective.  Talk to D1 kids and parents. Many are still racing because they are good at it, not because they enjoy it.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I said at best D1

Results or a place on a team after U19 are not part of my criteria for success for this endeavor.  Creating a strong mature adult is what I am after.  The commitment to reaching for goals with hard work is something that racing provides.

I somewhat blame USSA for making this whole thing so darn expensive.  There mission should be to grow the sport in the US but they take it to be to find the one or two world class skiers and the rest of the kids are just field fodder to result in that.