The new Northeast Peak Pass. Your move ORDA.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
64 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The new Northeast Peak Pass. Your move ORDA

PeeTex
Johnnyonthespot wrote
No kids in school = low school tax.
It's NYS, there is no such thing as low property tax whether or not you have kids in school. In NY you don't own real estate, you rent it from the local governments.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I meant for the district, as in less kids in the district would theoretically keep the school tax low. Up there they are low.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
It's not all about schools. Commercial taxes can balance out private. NYC taxes can be relatively low, because of the enormous pool of business tax. Farm country and impoverished upstate cities can be high, because there is no commercial take. Farmers get a ton of tax breaks in NY, if they actually farm or raise livestock. Then there's the political patronage hope and change development zones. Somebody has to pay for services there, eventually. Since North Creek is in the ADK, they can't develop commercially, so, who knows. Not many kids, though.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Right, the tax rate in the North Country is relatively high, not West Chester high but high. Property values are low so the overall tax is low but the tax compared to the value is high. You can get a pretty nice house for $200K if it's not on the water and you will pay about $4K in taxes. You go down south or to some of the Western states and your rate is about 1/3.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.