49 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The resurrection of Ascutney Mountain

Z
Thanking for sharing that link

I drove thru Brandon gap recently and that looks like it could be some really great skiing in there
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

noip
Coach Z wrote
Thanking for sharing that link

I drove thru Brandon gap recently and that looks like it could be some really great skiing in there
try the next gap to the north!  ;)

east middlebury to rochester
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Just go to Smugglers Notch

Reply | Threaded
|

noip
+1
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I also don't see how they can charge for this experience unless they have a lift.  If they're using a rope tow, then they can charge for use of it, but if it's on public land, they can't restrict people from hiking up if they don't pay.
Many ski areas on public land restrict use of the land to only those that pay for a ticket. Just because land is publicly owned doesn't mean anyone can access it at any time. Take any number of government offices just as an example. I don't agree at all with restricting public land that has no security issues but almost every ski area operated on public land that I know of has come up with a policy to restrict uphill access and require tickets for skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I also don't see how they can charge for this experience unless they have a lift.  If they're using a rope tow, then they can charge for use of it, but if it's on public land, they can't restrict people from hiking up if they don't pay.
Why would they need to charge people for hiking/skinning up?

The last time I took my kid to any of the many city parks that we have here in Flagstaff I didn't pay to let her use the jungle gym.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Jackson NH.  Non profit, community based cross-country skiing with a mix of groomed and back country trails.  The Thunderbolt Ski Runners, caring for the Thunderbolt trail on Mt Greylock.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
snoloco wrote
Why would they need to charge people for hiking/skinning up?

The last time I took my kid to any of the many city parks that we have here in Flagstaff I didn't pay to let her use the jungle gym.
Because there would barely be any money to keep the place going.

City parks are maintained with tax dollars because they benefit the majority of the population of the city.  Anyone can go to the park.  Only skiers who are fit enough to hike up can go to this ski area, and because this "park" is so much bigger, it will cost so much more to maintain.  Costs more and fewer people benefit from taxpayer funding than a normal city park.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Looking at the Uphill Policy for Cannon, skiers willing to skin up a specific route must pay $9 during operating hours.  No uphill traffic is allowed before lifts open or after lifts close.  Cannon is on NH state park land.

http://cannonmt.com/uphill-policy.html

What is the uphill policy at Whiteface and Gore?

Of course, the restrictions on the timing of skinning may not apply to Ascutney because they won't have expensive groomers working when the lift isn't running.