Things That Impress You

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Things That Impress You

riverc0il
Anything that makes you think positive things about other people. Have at it.

Today, I promoted one of my part time college aged team members into a key holder/leadership position. When she first started, I thought she was a strong contributor but probably not a long term team leader. Two years later, she has earned a leadership spot on my team and is definitely ready for it. As I begin the training process, I am reminded how often people rise to challenges and can do great things when given the opportunity. While it is within us all to empower our own growth, it always helps to have someone give us a challenge and say "you're ready for this, you got this." Most people are far more capable than we may initially think.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Things That Impress You

Harvey
Administrator
Not earth shaking, but recent.

Twice a year our town has a hazardous waste recycling day where you can properly dispose chemicals or electronics. We had a bunch of old computers in our basement I wanted to move, and some of them were from the 90s... absolute beasts.

One, I knew I couldn't pick up without help. I normally call on a strong neighborhood kid for these things, but he was out of town.  A burly young man about 16, a mountain biker and a really great guy, but alas unavailable.

Zelda recommended another kid, "Jack". I called his mom and she said he was up for it.  Super nice, respectful with cologne that was outta control! But I digress with that.

I picked him up, super polite, up for anything. Intelligent conversation, knowledgeable about all the crap we were tossing even though most of it was built before he was born.

He gave me about 30 minutes of his saturday, and I tried to slip him a 20. He eventually took it, with a fight.

Like I said, not a huge thing, but I was impressed.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I've met a few people who were very wealthy and/or successful in certain endeavors, yet very humble.  One was a kid I skied with when I was younger.  Burke Mtn., then made it to the national ski team, I think B level.  Once/year we were allowed to race with the next age group.  Usually it was when the older kids raced at your home mountain, so parents didn't have to drive far.  This kid placed 1st in every race and made the all-VT team for the next higher age group.

Another was handed a brand new Jeep Cherokee for high school graduation.  He had a few people to his summer house when I was about 20.  The house was lakeside in one of the best known summer areas of the country.  Some offered gas money for the water skiing we did - he wouldn't take it.  If you didn't know his background, you wouldn't know.

Recently, my wife and I met a couple at the Ironman dinner.  From CT, but retiring in L.P. for the summers/FL for the winter.  The guy went to school - and is friends with - the president of my wife's company....the company has 50,000 employees.  As part of their church group, these two did "environmental" work....picked up garbage left during the Ironman.

These people impress me.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Ok fortunately i have had the opportunity as an educator to see many FINE young men and women go well beyond the norm to help others .

I know of very specific cases where they worked a normal day schedule in their NYC hospital then proceeded to help out the victims on 9/11 on their own time .walking from uptown neighborhoods to the site because the situation warranted it.

Others i know during the hurricane related blackout in NYC in the late fall several years ago , when the power was off for a week after working a full day walked from Upper West side to thLower East side ( no subway service ) to bring food , supplies and a portable heater to the elderly living in a high rise bldg.

Others i know annually volunteer and live two weeks  in inner city Boston providing support and programming to the the less fortunate .

These are but a few examples of the selfless and compassionate undertakings that some i know of were involved with .
Service clubs at many colleges offer a week of community service each semester taking care of the needs of the less fortunate and the elderly .  

So YES , there is MUCH to be said for these fine young people  

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
Last week my wife had routine blood work done. The lab inadvertently sent it to her doc and another doc.Both docs are endocrinologists . One of levels were very off. The doc that doesn't know her , called and told her about the bad level and how to treat it..
That impressed me..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
oh other people... never mind  - I though this was the internet! I'll have to think about that one!