classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Things to do with your kids

Brownski
This post was updated on .
Suggestions, reviews, specific venues - let's hear about it. I'm always looking for ideas so I figure other people might be as well. My first contribution is from a trip to Medival Times. It's in Lyndhurst NJ but it's pretty easy to get there from most of the metro area. From Rockland county it's a breeze. Mt Peter included tickets in the goody pack they gave out for the early season pass purchasers last year. I was happy to finally put them to use. EDIT: they DO have a bar.

It's essentially a cross between pro-wrestling and an equestrian show, with a chicken dinner thrown in (eaten with your hands -no utensils). Don't look for any tremendous acting here - the story line is pretty convoluted anyway. I used to work with horses when I was younger. I can tell you based on my experience, these guys are good horsemen and the animals are in good shape and very well trained. The seating's divided up so that each section is supposed to cheer for a different knight. We were pulling for the yellow & red knight. Poor guy was the second or third guy to get killed. Oh well.

It was kind if lames, sure, but it was kind of fun too. My kids really enjoyed it.

The Blue Knight won. He did a Tebow.

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Things to do with your kids

ml242
Have you taken them paddling? If your wife is into it those two person kayaks are a lot of fun and pretty stable.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Absolutely. Paddling is a standby. I'm in the market for a good deal on a real sea-worthy tandem but I already have a canoe big enough for the whole family (it is a frigging battleship) We've done a lot of time on the Harriman state park lakes and bring it when we go camping. I've gotten my older son out on the Hudson in my second sea kayak and he has spent some time tooling around Little Pond on my Yak-board.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
There are all sorts of things we can do with our kids, some cost money and others are free or close enough.

I'm unfortunately right now sidelined to do the things that aren't costly but that being said, the memories I have as a kid that put a smile on my face the most now aren't the visits to Disney or some other theme park but the times exploring the forests with my Dad, fishing with my Uncle or Grandapa, and sitting in a bar stool while my bookie Pop Pop collected his money, drank and socialized. Now while typing and reading this I'm not so sure I'm a great example or have valuable input for this thread but hell, we are what we are!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Teach them to play golf or tennis.  Both sports can be played multi generation.

My son and I had a fun 9 hole match tonight and next week we will play with my dad as well.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
There are all sorts of things we can do with our kids, some cost money and others are free or close enough.

I'm unfortunately right now sidelined to do the things that aren't costly but that being said, the memories I have as a kid that put a smile on my face the most now aren't the visits to Disney or some other theme park but the times exploring the forests with my Dad, fishing with my Uncle or Grandapa, and sitting in a bar stool while my bookie Pop Pop collected his money, drank and socialized. Now while typing and reading this I'm not so sure I'm a great example or have valuable input for this thread but hell, we are what we are!
One of the chillest most well rounded people I know grew up on a bar stool. His father owned a local tavern here in town. He's out in LA now killin it!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Take them to Central Park..Rent a row boat (it's cheap)..Have dinner in the village, walk the High Line..My kids love trapeze..it's a little pricey but worth it..good for kids of all ages..https://newyork.trapezeschool.com/
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
JasonWx wrote
Take them to Central Park..Rent a row boat (it's cheap)..Have dinner in the village, walk the High Line..My kids love trapeze..it's a little pricey but worth it..good for kids of all ages..https://newyork.trapezeschool.com/
....then grab some Chinatown Ice Cream Factory ice cream 😋 , & hit an Indy film in the village
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
take them for walks in the woods as often as you can and teach them the trees and plants and animals.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ScottyJack wrote
take them for walks in the woods as often as you can and teach them the trees and plants and animals.
Yes. And bikes. And building a treehouse. And climbing mountains and paddling streams and jumping off of rocks into water.

I don't have kids, but as far as I'm concerned, if they aren't staring at glowing screens, they're in good shape.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I actually snapped this the other day for the other thread.

We do all that stuff. Some times you're looking for more of a one-trip to a new entertainment or educational venue. We do an occasional minor league baseball game for instance.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Take em over Camps way for local field days. They demo derby for kids in those little cars. That's a sight
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
That actually sounds like a great time to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Brownski
My boys are both pretty obsessed with baseball so the Hall of Fame was a no brainier. Plus I spent a lot of time in the area as a kid so it had nostalgic value for me and the drive up through the farm country is pretty.

Honestly, my kids know a lot more about current crop of players then I do so I tried to guide them towards some of the historical stuff they're less familiar with

They had a great time

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
^^^^Looks awesome.

I have a recommendation for what to do with kids:  Put them in overnight camp and steal away with your babe to the mountains.

Sooo looking forward to this week.  Fingers crossed that there are no midnight calls.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
I have vacation this week. And was thinking on driving down to Cooperstown  on Wednesday. I was wondering how busy it is midweek summer. I’d like to go when it’s quiet or quieter.  Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
We were there last Friday. It was pretty crowded- made me glad I didn't go on the actual weekend. Mid week is probably more chill.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
BB Hall of Fame is a fun place ---- if you guys are into boxing be sure and check out the Boxing Hall of Fame as well
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
A Yankees game is always a good time. They brought out the '96 team on Saturday for their 20th anniversary. That was kind of cool . The back ho back homers from Austin and Judge at their first major league at-bats was even better. My kids loved it. It was so ridiculously hot that we made multiple trips to the air conditioned museum to cool off.

Bacon on a stick...

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Curious as to what Yankees charge for a slice of bacon on a stick.  Highest priced food and beer of any sports venue.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time