This is getting ridiculous

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

This is getting ridiculous

Benny Profane
I went to a local shop last night to have my Intuition liners heat molded, and since I was a captive audience standing there for ten minutes (jezuz, toe caps are uncomfortable), I got to talking about skis. Whoops. I expressed my desire to own a pair of race slalom skis for ice days, and the salesman/boot fitter brings over a pair of K2 Bolts, which looked kinda cool, BUT HAD A PRICE TAG OF 1200 BUCKS! I mean, wtf? These aren't marketed to racers, just the average schmoe. Four years into a recession for most, and ski prices just keep on keepin' on up. How does a family afford this sport? Who is spending this money? Are they selling a lot of skis at that price?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: This is getting ridiculous

lolkl
Who pays retail for ski equipment? I can't afford it so I have to wait a season or two for things to go on sale. I just got a pair of last seasons' Volkl Katanas ( 198 cm ) for $372. They retail for $1,065. One of our local ski shops has great deals on Thanksgiving. I was sitting in the chair that I brought at 6:30am, staring at the door, waiting for them to open at 8. Around 7am the crowd showed up. It was the only pair of 198's and I knew some other people wanted them. They were pissed to see me there. I think that makes it even more satisfying.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny

There are always ways to ski for less then full rack rate - you just need to be resourceful.

Speaking of race skis - My wife is demanding my quiver be reduced - I have a pair of Elan SLX race skis in perfect condition that I'm willing to part with for $260.  See the gear for sale section.  They are a steal at that price.  Let me know if you are interested.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I'd imagine that this is one of those cases where "only suckers pay retail". I think most people realize that if you delay your new ski purchase for a few months, you'll get a substantial discount (either in the same store, or online somewhere).

But if you really, really need to buy a Christmas Present, or you absolutely have to have this year's gear, I guess you gotta bite the bullet, and pay the cost premium as an early adopter tax (the same way that people who wait outside of Apple stores end up paying way more than people who wait 3 months to buy a new phone).

Of course, I think this might be a case of "if it costs more, it must be better" as well. Some people just rush in and buy the latest and greatest, without actually doing any research on what they really need. Suckers, says I - the guy who is seriously considering paying full retail on Dynafits because I can't find them cheap anywhere and I might be able to get a shop to mount them for free...
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Speaking of race skis - My wife is demanding my quiver be reduced - I have a pair of Elan SLX race skis in perfect condition that I'm willing to part with for $260.  See the gear for sale section.  They are a steal at that price.  Let me know if you are interested.

Interested, but can't find the thread. How long?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Benny Profane wrote
 How long?
TWSS!!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
In almost 4 decades of skiing we have NEVER paid anywhere near full price, whether in a bricks and mortar box or online .

MSRP is based on the "champagne pricing effect " and strictly capitalizes on image rather than reality .  Any skis we have purchased we purchased NEW at considerably less than MSRP . I have purchased stuff at LESS than wholesale on some online time limited sites. One pr was 75   Percent off some new Atomics .  I had already had the same ski earlier that season at 50 Percent off ,  but hey couldnt pass up the deal .

Called my son, and my BIL   . We bought 4 prs  It was 11:30 at nite on a site and deal was on for less than an hr !!!!!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
does Dynafit do an amazing job keeping their prices up or what?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ml242 wrote
They seem to. And there's not much of a price drop in the used market... Kind of an annoying situation. Don't really need the bindings for a couple of months, though, so I've got some time to look for deals.
Reply | Threaded
|

skisheep
The key here is being willing to go a season off new. For example I just bought skis, boots, and bindings, over $1200 worth of stuff for under $400. The catch was that it was 2011-12 season instead of 2012-13 season, although the stuff is brand new. If you just do google searches for the ski/boot that you are looking for and add the word cheap or discount at the end google shopping can find it at one of the online discount ski shops for almost nothing....
ORDA and New England Passholder. If it's fast, it's probably fun.
2014-2015 season days
Whiteface: 2
Sunday River: 4
Loon: 2
Hunter: 1
Belleayre: 1
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
They do it because they can because they have the best product in their class. Get em' end of season when prices are lowered and try to hold off for a coupon that works on already low prices or try to find a 20% off deal from full price. You ain't gonna get less than 20% off full retail for them even end of season and they command high resale values, even older ones.

--

To the main topic, everything is full retail at the shops heading into Christmas. You buy in December before Christmas at the shop, and you pay full price. Always been that way, always will. Those in the know get the super early deal or wait as late as possible, preferably into the summer (knowing that selection may be limited come spring).
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
In reply to this post by skisheep
skisheep wrote
The key here is being willing to go a season off new.
Very true. I just bought a pair of '11-12 skis on closeout for $279.  This year's model has an MSRP of $825, and it is sold on discount sites for $650.  Other than a different graphic, the ones I bought are the same ski.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
I've seen her new Tele skis.  Great deal, but they sure are ugly!
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by riverc0il
Maybe President Obama can give us a ski tax credit, it should be available for anybody making $250K or less. We get to deduct the price of our lift tickets and equipment and medical expenses, mental therapy - hey, it could happen.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by CMR
CMR wrote
...her new Tele skis...

Is this a new development or...?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
Harvey44 wrote
CMR wrote
...her new Tele skis...

Is this a new development or...?
I started last year with Marco's beginner telemark camp, and kept going. I decided to spring for some equipment that actually fits/works this year. It's all down at the Gear Source being mounted right now.  I'm excited to try it out - I seem to  have forgotten how to do it though! If you see me face-down on Sunway next weekend, lend a hand.  I'm the one with the ugly skis.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
They do it because they can because they have the best product in their class.
Maybe.  The Plums give em a run for the money. I kind of like the rotating metal heel elevator
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Friends don't let friends pay retail.