This needs to be fully legal ASAP

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

This needs to be fully legal ASAP

ScottySkis
"At the time, I was writing a book about the politics of drug prohibition. I started to ask Ehrlichman a series of earnest, wonky questions that he impatiently waved away. 'You want to know what this was really all about?' he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. 'The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.'"It's a stunning admission that appears to confirm the worst fears of opponents of the War on Drugs.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: This needs to be fully legal ASAP

nepa
Yup.  I couldn't agree more.  What book is that from?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Thought we had another Drug Legalization thread, but didn't find it in my short search. Anyway:

Here's a fascinating study. A pair of researchers at the University of Georgia took a look at what happened to prescriptions for opioid painkillers in states that passed medical marijuana laws. Over at the Washington Post, Christopher Ingraham summarizes their results:
They found that, in the 17 states with a medical-marijuana law in place by 2013, prescriptions for painkillers and other classes of drugs fell sharply compared with states that did not have a medical-marijuana law. The drops were quite significant: In medical-marijuana states, the average doctor prescribed 265 fewer doses of antidepressants each year, 486 fewer doses of seizure medication, 541 fewer anti-nausea doses and 562 fewer doses of anti-anxiety medication.
Needless to say, the painkiller industry would much rather have you gulp down their addictive and lucrative product. They are not taking the threat from medical marijuana lying down:

The tanking numbers for painkiller prescriptions in medical marijuana states are likely to cause some concern among pharmaceutical companies. These companies have long been at the forefront of opposition to marijuana reform, funding research by anti-pot academics and funneling dollars to groups, such as the Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America, that oppose marijuana legalization.

Pharmaceutical companies have also lobbied federal agencies directly to prevent the liberalization of marijuana laws. In one case, recently uncovered by the office of Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), the Department of Health and Human Services recommended that naturally derived THC, the main psychoactive component of marijuana, be moved from Schedule 1 to Schedule 3 of the Controlled Substances Act — a less restrictive category that would acknowledge the drug's medical use and make it easier to research and prescribe. Several months after HHS submitted its recommendation, at least one drug company that manufactures a synthetic version of THC — which would presumably have to compete with any natural derivatives — wrote to the Drug Enforcement Administration to express opposition to rescheduling natural THC, citing "the abuse potential in terms of the need to grow and cultivate substantial crops of marijuana in the United States."
The study estimates that if all 50 states legalized medical marijuana, Medicare would save $500 million per year in painkiller spending. It's hard to extrapolate that to overall spending on painkiller medication, but the total savings would be on the order of $2 billion per year—maybe more.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
On the ballot in Massachusetts in November. If this holds, there will finally be a place to buy legally east of Colorado (it's legal in DC, but there aren't stores like in CO, WA, etc.)

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
sweet.  Cali going for full legalization too this Nov.  We be so much better off.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
It certainly will create a massive amount of HIGH (pun intended) paying jobs
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by ScottySkis
ScottySkis wrote
"At the time, I was writing a book about the politics of drug prohibition. I started to ask Ehrlichman a series of earnest, wonky questions that he impatiently waved away. 'You want to know what this was really all about?' he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. 'The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.'"It's a stunning admission that appears to confirm the worst fears of opponents of the War on Drugs.
So you want heroin to be legalized?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
There is a difference between legalizing and decriminalizing. The concept isn't completely black and white.

Drugs like heroin and crystal might need some different approaches but I think there are better ways than imprisoning addicts and branding them as felons for the rest of their lives.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
raisingarizona wrote
There is a difference between legalizing and decriminalizing. The concept isn't completely black and white.

Drugs like heroin and crystal might need some different approaches but I think there are better ways than imprisoning addicts and branding them as felons for the rest of their lives.
Yeah, they are not equal but I think there is a shift to as seeing drugs as the problem to see the people using them as having a problem, which is the right way to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
ScottySkis wrote
So you want heroin to be legalized?
What progress has been made via prohibition?   Does prohibition make heroin addicts (or addiction) less harmful to you or I?

I don't think it does.  In fact, I think illegal heroin puts people who don't use drugs at greater risk of harm.  Illegal heroin is actually more accessible to kids... don't forget... drug dealers don't ask for identification.

I propose, we give people a choice when it comes to addiction.  You are offered help with your addiction... or you are given free dope.   If you don't choose help, then you have a place to get dope without harming anyone in order to feed your addiction.  

Manufacturing heroin and other types of drugs is cheap.  We can save a lot of money in law enforcement and incarceration costs (both abstract and concrete), by legalizing, and offering help to those who want it, and an unlimited supply of dope to those who don't.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
I have also read that manufacturing drugs such as heroin and then limiting amounts makes that drug actually safe. Some say that the only reason people overdose is because of dirty H you get from the streets.

I can't say I know much about heroin or meth (something I'm ok with :) ) but if you do some research it's pretty interesting to see how other first world democratic nations have dealt with drugs and their successes with these approaches. One thing I feel confident saying that I know, is that most of our beliefs we have been conditioned to believe. There are other perspectives.

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
So what's your point? People are stupid assholes. She should go to jail because she put a kids life in danger.

It doesn't change the fact that the prison population has gone from 200k to 2.3M in 40 years, and that most of those people are in for weed. 1/3 black males born today will serve time if the laws aren't changed because we are criminalizing stupidity but not applying the law equally for all races.

How is America the land of the free if we lock people up for things that don't hurt people?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ml242 wrote
So what's your point?  

ml242 wrote
  People are stupid assholes. She should go to jail because she put a kids life in danger.

You knew my point the entire time