Thursday skiing, Gore or Whiteface

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thursday skiing, Gore or Whiteface

danj
I'm heading to Lake Placid on Thursday early and it looks like the temps will be borderline around 40 in the area. I've never skied Gore and have skied WF a few times. Seems like the best conditions might be spring like, if the temperature cooperates. So my question is, is there a significant difference in temps at elevation on the two mountains. Is Gore typically warmer? Either way I'm expecting both to be firm, so any softening would be welcome. thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Thursday skiing, Gore or Whiteface

MC2 5678F589
You nailed it. Forecast for North Creek is 46 with periods of Sun and Clouds. Forecast for Saranac Lake (which I use as a Whiteface stand-in) is 40 and "rather cloudy".

I think you'd have a better chance of a solid spring day at Gore, plus you get to try a new mountain.

No brainer.
Reply | Threaded
|

danj
thanks - Gore it is, and I think it's about an hour closer.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
how was it?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Whiteface is actually located in wilmington not saranac lake or lake placid.   Its bluebird and soft packed pow today!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I like the Saranac Lake station because it's higher elevation than the Placid one (it's taken at the airport afaik, and right down the road from said airport, there's a certain ice cream spot with a pretty good view of WF, 12 miles away as the crow flies).

If Whiteface was so good today, you wouldn't be on your phone telling us how good it is!

It's too late in the season to ski "packed powder" anyway: soft spring corn, freak powder storm, or gtfo!
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps

Me and all the other skiers ripping sweet corn and bumps on Wilderness Thursday
I knew I wouldn't be around this weekend so had to get out and stayed until they threw me out
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
 Its bluebird and soft packed pow today!
Fake news
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.