"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Today's Climb

Harvey
Administrator
Harvey wrote
Jeff re your comment in the other thread (can't even remember which one)... I read this TR in bed and Zelda was pushing me to hit the lights (plus as we know the forum sucks on a phone).  My clap was shorthand for "I am continually blown away by what you do with your kids, they are lucky to be lead into adventure by an adventurer."

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I especially like that he takes his kids out for wings & beer afterwards.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Shit, I missed this too... what a day! Amazing!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Also, Jeff - I don't know how this went under the radar. I guess with the gun news. One other thing I like about the TR is that besides the stunning pics and adventurous life you're sharing with the family, the use of helmets kind of excites me. I see a lot of people setting bad examples, and you just never know when something is going to fall off a cliff or when you're going to take a weird fall. I was looking through Gripped the other day, and I don't get how they can still publish pics of people without them. There was also a sponsored ice climber who had his helmet so far back, it would do nothing if he caught something coming down while in his belay stance.

I know that's a separate issue, and people can do what they want, but climbing is inherently dangerous and all that for sure!

Really nice report again.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I missed it to pretty impressive, really impressive.  You always have great reports.  The whining seemed a little out of character.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!  I was trying (unsuccessfully) not to whine, but to me trip reports are the soul of the Forum, so it's nice to know they get read.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Adk Jeff wrote
trip reports are the soul of the Forum
100%

IMO: The big threads are cool especially for people who want to post a single pic or a few sentences, but I think if you are going to put that kind of effort into a report you should separate it out. More people will notice it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Harvey wrote
Adk Jeff wrote
trip reports are the soul of the Forum
100%

IMO: The big threads are cool especially for people who want to post a single pic or a few sentences, but I think if you are going to put that kind of effort into a report you should separate it out. More people will notice it.
I agree, that report definitely is worthy of its' own thread.

I also want to give kudos to you, Jeff.  I've got my 9, almost 10 year old daughter skiing huge, spring bumps on Superstar in May, but you and yours put us to shame!  Someone needs to write a large piece for Outside Magazine about your family!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242

La Valse 5.6 PG13

That climb has some heady sections, steep slab, little traverses... need a 70m to rap.

Crazy thing about today was the bugs. Black flies, mosquitos, and no-see-ums all out. I got torn up!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
You lead?
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Yeah, thankfully there was a bolt on the upper slab.

I think the gunks kind of spoiled me a bit. I'm really enjoying climb other areas, but even on a "classic", nothing is as good for the grade as what you can find in the trapps. Or maybe I just hate all this slab everywhere, but it's two sides of the same coin. The gunks provide steep, well protected, wildly airy, and awesome climbs at moderate grades.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I know nothing about the climbing up there (Val David?), but yeah, you can get kinda spoiled climbing in the Gunks.  On the other hand, I find I no longer have the patience for the crowds down there.  Which is why the Adks are so freaking awesome for climbing - you just walk up to a 5-star route and climb away. I can't remember the last time I waited to get on a route in the 'dacks.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I agree in principle. You just won't wait in the dacks outside of Lake George on a nice day, then there could be three boats in front of you. But like a ski resort, the gunks can be gamed to avoid a wait. Arrive early, beat the crowds to classics, continue walking down. I am not super picky so if I can't get on High E, I don't care with Moonlight right there.

That said, not every crag's 5 star climb is comparable to each others!

We gotta get out sometime, Jeff. Maybe when the LP crew does their beerfest we can get on the beer walls. I'll be packing (DEET) if it's anytime soon, too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Lots of climbing over the past two months for me, I've been blessed with good health, good weather, and lots of free time. I figured I'd dump a couple photos on here.

Lake George from the Shelving Rock cliff

The Good Luck Cliff

Quadrophenia at Hurricane crag, perhaps my new favorite route

Traversing on P2 of the El at Pitchoff

The Diagonal on Wallface

Hesitation, Upper Washbowl Cliff

Bonnie's Roof, Gunks

P3 of Little Finger Direct, Roger's Rock

The Empress on the Chapel Pond Slabs, which Jeff mentioned earlier

The California Flake, Avalanche Lake

The Trap Dike on Mt. Colden, probably the best scrambling route in the Adks
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by jjp24
Wow. Talk about awesome pics.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Holy $hit, you did all those climbs this spring?  That is like the A-list of Adk climbing.  Bravo.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Adk Jeff wrote
Holy $hit, you did all those climbs this spring?  That is like the A-list of Adk climbing.  Bravo.

Yeah can we get a HUDGE story or three? Any epics? This is FRONT PAGE material, knocks the socks off my humble day top roping at Mont Rigaud!
1 ... 56789