classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Today's standards on Yesterday's Gear

Chris
This post was updated on .
The Teton video that AZ posted in another thread got me thinking...

It's interesting to me how much the sport and standards have advanced.  I see those cliff hucks and the floppy landings and think, big whoop the dude jumped off a drop and landed on their back, lost 95% of their momentum, sunk 3', used remaining momentum to get out of the hole and continue skiing.

It seems that these days those cliffs above are tame cliffs that would be completely stomped and skied out with beautiful linked power turns with almost no change in momentum after the landing.  

Which makes me very interested in seeing today's top athlete's ski on the old school setups and seeing the contrasts in ability to stay with today's standards of line choice and execution.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to ride those lines and will admit that every person in that clip has larger cajones than I do.  I understand it's all harder than it appears...

Does anyone have knowledge of any films made with today's standards that are skied on old gear?  That would be a movie I would pay $30 to buy.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Today's standards on Yesterday's Gear

Z
The Blizzard of Ah's by Greg Stump is an all time classic.  Skied on long stiff and narrow K2 race skis.  The skiing holds up surprisingly well.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
Most major ski hills still have a hand full of frugal skiers charging hard on dumpster skiis.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Chris
Chris wrote

Which makes me very interested in seeing today's top athlete's ski on the old school setups and seeing the contracts in ability to stay with today's standards of line choice and execution.

I know what your are saying here Chris. Some of the guys that ski with us now have never skied on old skewl, long straight skis. These guys totally own it now, but I pick on them stating anyone and ski on today's skis. They laugh at me, and thy're mostly correct, but I still wonder. Regardless it's fun to pick on them about it.