You heard it here first, folks!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Told You So

ml242
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
if anything, WE should be saying "I told you so" because Mountain Creek continues to suck.
BWAHahahhaha
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
mattchuck2 wrote
The worst part about this thread is that he's making an argument against nobody.

No one ever said that snowmaking and high speed lifts aren't useful. We just said we enjoy skiing at mountains that don't have them sometimes.
So down with this.  

Snowmaking is crucial in the ski business. But it's not the REASON that I love skiing.

They say the heroin addict is always trying to recapture that first high, which is always the best.  I ski 35 days a year hoping to enjoy the feeling of floating, of skiing in 3 dimensions, that you sometimes get with natural snow.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
Whiteface still has snow.  I am still grilling. It hasn't been the winter we hoped for.  But, they did a great job at WF under terrible conditions.  It was well worth driving past hunter every single weekend
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Grillman wrote
  It was well worth driving past hunter every single weekend
What about Mt Snow? They have a bubble chair.
Reply | Threaded
|

jcamotts
In reply to this post by snoloco
Why does this thread even exist? Hunter is open, that's great, so instead of proving to everyone how you were right, just go out and ski it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
Holiday Valley and Hollimont in Ellicottville are both open.  They would also be in southern NY and south of the E/W Albany line.
Holiday Valley has the best snowmaking and Hollimont holds a patent on certain snow guns  B/C they invented it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
Although I must say I keep reading the post and I'm not sure what the "told you so is?"
If you make snow you can stay open longer?  Well, if it snows more you can stay open longer also.  What's the point of the post?
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Gorefarmhouse wrote
  What's the point of the post?
To troll.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
freeheeln wrote
Gorefarmhouse wrote
  What's the point of the post?
To troll.
Fuckin' nailed it!

Kid's good too...
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Snowmaking is ONE OF the reasons I love skiing. I spent way more hours making snow at Woodstream this year than I actually spent skiing, and I have no regrets about that. I find that sometimes I enjoy making snow more so than skiing. I actually agree with Snoloco here in some respects. I don't think Windham makes nearly enough snow considering the size of the resort. Windham simply doesn't care to extend their season.  Plattekill actually has enough snow on Northface and Plunge to have been open this weekend, but they didn't because skier visits are way down, and nobody would come. It would not be a good business decision. So when you say that snowmaking is important, I agree with you 100% Make snow on every trail if you can, but that doesn't mean groom every trail. When you say, "I told you so" that means nothing to me, or any of us, because it simply comes down to how long the GM feels like staying open based on finances. It's not always about how much snow you can make.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Looks like Belleayre and Plattekill could have opened if they had the snow to make it on and off the lifts.  Only Hunter's management thought that it was a good business decision to open through this week.  I'm pretty sure Hunter was making money today.  The deck was packed and the booze ($$$) was flowing.  All they had to do was groom some of the trails, run 3 lifts, and have people to serve food and beer.  I saw a lot of people with day tickets as well, so it wasn't all season passholders.  Not sure if they made any money during the week or if they managed to break even.

Hunter has always had a bit of a "spring culture".  Not as much as Killington of course, but the mountain gets a lot of sun and always seems to draw good numbers in the spring.  They always close later than Windham, most of the time later than Plattekill, and usually the same time as Belleayre, but I'm willing to bet that Hunter gets way more people on their last weekend than Belleayre does.

Windham's clientele is mostly families, some with kids, some without.  The ones with kids stop coming when little league and other spring sports start, and the ones without kids usually want to play golf by the end of March, and go south to do so.  They close about the same time every year, regardless of snow.  Usually it's the first Sunday in April, but this year they closed a couple weeks early because they ran out of snow.  They never build up base depths to push the season because their clientele has usually moved on by the end of March anyways.  Why make a bunch of snow and leave it to rot after the lifts close.  They'd just be watching more of their money sitting up on the mountain longer before being washed down into the retention pond.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
snoloco wrote
In a bad year, the mountains with the best snowmaking will provide the best ski experience, no exceptions.  Natural snow is obsolete except for the occasional powder day.  Snowmaking is going to provide most of the coverage everywhere in the east
Ahhhhhhh, are you per chance related to that low life dung beetle Donald Trump????   Sure sounds like it.  
I haven't skied on fakey snow for over two years.. AND I've probably got in about 150 days of skiing in those two years..

If you want it, go and get it.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
In a bad year, the mountains with the best snowmaking will provide the best ski experience, no exceptions.
"The best ski experience" is subjective and personal. I get to decide for myself.

Think about what you wrote and compare it to this:

a wise young man wrote
In a bad year, the mountains with the best snowmaking will provide the best ski experience, for me.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
If you want to ski a short season on very limited terrain with thin cover and poor conditions, have at it.  I'll go to the places with the most snowmaking.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
What did the Easter Bunny bring you, Sno?
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
snoloco wrote
In a bad year, the mountains with the best snowmaking will provide the best ski experience, no exceptions.
"The best ski experience" is subjective and personal. I get to decide for myself.

Think about what you wrote and compare it to this:

a wise young man wrote
In a bad year, the mountains with the best snowmaking will provide the best ski experience, for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Telemark Dave wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
I see it is laying jelly beans. ●●●●●●●●
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
Snoloco...I've sat back and watched you make posts all season that are way too contrarian and cynical for a teenager.  

If you can't be more positive about skiing, I don't want to know how you're going to handle the real world, one day.   Get out and enjoy yourself.  As a teenager from NJ (or whever you're from...it doesn't matter), you have no basis for making such strong statements.  Go out and experience things.  Find out what you like and don't like, and try to follow the path that you desire.  Just don't bitch and judge throughout the entire journey, especially when you're only 5% of the way through.

I'm not saying this to be mean or jab ya.  I just think you'd  benefit from stepping back and re-evaluating your attitude and persepctive.