Told You So

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
61 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Told You So

snoloco
Right now, Hunter is open.  They're the only place open in the Catskills and the only place in NY South of Albany that is open.  Why is that?  Because they have by far the best snowmaking capacity in NY and possibly the best in the east.

In a bad year, the mountains with the best snowmaking will provide the best ski experience, no exceptions.  Natural snow is obsolete except for the occasional powder day.  Snowmaking is going to provide most of the coverage everywhere in the east.

Skiing off of high speed lifts on groomed man-made snow isn't a soulless fake experience.  It's what the vast majority of ec skiing is.  Very few skiers go to the small throwback style mountains or hike into the backcountry to ski.  Most buy a lift ticket, ride the lift, and ski back down a groomed trail.  There are plenty of avid skiers who always ski like that, me included.

All the complaining about skiig being a manufactured amusement park like experience is complete BS.  The only reason any ski areas exist is because people built them.  Skiing, the way 90% of people realize it isn't some religious way to connect with nature.  It's an amusement park on a mountain.  You pay to get in, then wait in line, ride up, and have fun skiing back down.  Then you go into the lodge and spend money on overpriced food and drink and chat  with friends/family.  
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Told You So

skimore
Somehow you fail to grasp that the majority here you are speaking to are the 10% who could give a flying fuck about some high speed bubble
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
  Very few skiers go to the small throwback style mountains or hike into the backcountry to ski.  Most buy a lift ticket, ride the lift, and ski back down a groomed trail.  There are plenty of avid skiers who always ski like that, me included.
Well then, thank god for people like you, Sno. You make my ski experience that much better.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
gaper.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
First, it's impolite to say I told you so, especially to your elders.

Second, there's a big difference between saying snow-making is important and valuable and saying that natural snow is obsolete.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I said it because someone requested that I put this thread up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I'll bet you're a real fun conversation on a chairlift ride. Like the kid next door on Home Alone or the kid on the train in the movie Polar Express.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
gaper.
Lemming.

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
ALPINE ZONE!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
I'll bet you're a real fun conversation on a chairlift ride. Like the kid next door on Home Alone or the kid on the train in the movie Polar Express.
Wrong.  Usually I talk about the usual "where are you from", " what trails are good" kind of stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
This post was updated on .
I don't want to be mean, but you have done an excellent job of alienating everybody on this site except for maybe Gore Ski Mom.

You're rude, you're a know-it-all, your opinions range from unethical to delusional, and I'm really sick of it. An "I told you so", thread?  What are you trying to prove, and to who? Please go away and grow up somewhere else.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
snoloco wrote
Skiing off of high speed lifts on groomed man-made snow isn't a soulless fake experience
Maybe so. But if all I could ever ski was groomed man made I might not quit skiing but I'd ski a lot less.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
(edited) Seems like you didn't get enough attention growing up. That's where your social ineptitude comes from. You should try to consider how what you say reflects on others. I keep forgetting you are so young, sorry. Maybe stick to being a knowledge database with ski info? You're much cooler when you post cool facts and accurate history.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
ALPINE ZONE!
still laughing
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
 An "I told you so", thread? What are you trying to prove, and to who?
I posted this because pro2680 asked me to.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
snoloco wrote
ml242 wrote
 An "I told you so", thread? What are you trying to prove, and to who?
I posted this because pro2680 asked me to.
So you thought when pro2680 said this:

"Why don't you start a new thread called "I told you so"  where you can list all of your self righteous victories? You are a fucking tool!"

...that he actually wanted you to start this thread?

Really?
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
This post was updated on .
There's a reason people don't like you and it has nothing to do with jocks or cliques or old dudes with beards or people who ski in the woods.

It might be time to take a long look in the mirror and figure that out.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Greg called. He wants his mogul pants back.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
Hokey Smokes ! What a shit fest.  

YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
 it has nothing to do with jocks or cliques or old dudes with beards or people who ski in the woods.
No that pretty much sums it up. I would add that it appears the phenomenon of synchronization has occurred and obviously this is the week said bitches are retaining water.