classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Touring in the Catskills

dyslexic
This post was updated on .
Question for anyone in the Cats -- I apologize I really didn't know where to post -- for touring, where would be a good place? I live here and have hiked all over, but would be alone Saturday in my adventures -- I know Belleayre won't let me snowshoe up and ride down, how about Platty? Tried to inquire with them but no answer. Maybe completely off course, any ideas?? Thanks!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wow, what a POW Day!

skimore
Why would you want to tour at an open resort? Why not pick a mtn you've hiked that isn't tracked out? Not to mention you're basically sticking it in the resorts azz
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Touring in the Catskills

dyslexic
skimore wrote
Why would you want to tour at an open resort? Why not pick a mtn you've hiked that isn't tracked out? Not to mention you're basically sticking it in the resorts azz
Haha I know, I can't afford lift tickets right now, and touring a resort because I'll be alone. I'm not sure if I should venture onto the trails I've hiked solo, summer all the time. Doing something I'm new to, not so much. I'm a parent so I do have to play it kind of safe. Was just looking for insight, not to be badgered.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by dyslexic
dyslexic wrote
Question for anyone in the Cats -- I apologize I really didn't know where to post -- for touring, where would be a good place? I live here and have hiked all over, but would be alone Saturday in my adventures -- I know Belleayre won't let me snowshoe up and ride down, how about Platty? Tried to inquire with them but no answer. Maybe completely off course, any ideas?? Thanks!!

dyslexic... I was out skiing when you registered, you now have full posting rights.

You can tour at Plattekill if you stop in for a beer and burger when you are done.... and then of course post the pictures here for stoke.

Skimore does have a point. Find a partner that tour up a storm in the Cats.

http://nyskiblog.com/ski-mountaineering-on-slide-mountain-ny/

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
dyslexic wrote
 I know Belleayre won't let me snowshoe up and ride down, how about Platty? Tried to inquire with them but no answer. Maybe completely off course, any ideas?? Thanks!!
In my experience, don't ask questions you don't want answers to!

Just strap your gear to you back and shoe up your favorite mountain.  It won't be open glades, chutes, but you will find a few of those sweet spots where you can link a few smooth turns together...  Then you're screwed, because your now addicted.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

ashley.
Chris wrote
dyslexic wrote
 I know Belleayre won't let me snowshoe up and ride down, how about Platty? Tried to inquire with them but no answer. Maybe completely off course, any ideas?? Thanks!!
In my experience, don't ask questions you don't want answers to!

Just strap your gear to you back and shoe up your favorite mountain.  It won't be open glades, chutes, but you will find a few of those sweet spots where you can link a few smooth turns together...  Then you're screwed, because your now addicted.
Hahaha nice!

I recently got some snowshoes for Christmas so I'm very stoked to be mobile enough to not have to be subject to lift tickets. I've hiked all over the Cats too, but to think of where to start out is tough. Especially solo -- we should meet up.

The other wknd I went to a local trail to start off, but I'll tell ya I picked the wrong one cause vert was not picking up fast enough. I ended up boot packing a nice area for some sh*ts n giggles.

Once

Twice

Thrice

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Is there an echoechoecholake in this keyboard?
Reply | Threaded
|

schwanztucker
Go over to adkhighpeaks forum Mike S is an accomplished catskill backcountry guy. Here is one of his threads.http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19955
I'd love to meet up with someone and do some Catskill backcountry.  My xmas present to myself was Madshus Annums with Voile 3 pin Hardwire and they havent left the rolling hills of central NY yet.