Tr-Action Park

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tr-Action Park

raisingarizona
This is all very true, action park was as insane as portrayed in this article. I’m excited to see the documentary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/19/nyregion/action-park-movie.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tr-Action Park

JasonWx
i can't wait.
that place scared the crap out of me...
now it's home to one of the most insane bike parks..good times keep rolling on
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
This is all very true, action park was as insane as portrayed in this article. I’m excited to see the documentary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/19/nyregion/action-park-movie.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
You have to love how the article glosses over Gene Mulvihill's (the father and owner) FELONIES. He created false insurance and bonding for the businesses because he was too greedy to run his businesses legally. This guy only cared about money. He did not give a shyt about safety or liability.

"He had pleaded guilty in 1984 to creating a phony Cayman Islands corporation to issue false insurance policies and performance bonds for his various construction and recreation businesses, saving himself money on insurance premiums from 1977 to 1984. The court imposed a suspended three-year sentence, three years of probation and a $45,000 fine. In connection with the scheme, in 1986 he was barred from the securities industry for life."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1994/10/15/a-dream-investment-went-downhill-for-harriman-trust/d7fb11e8-ba5f-4263-890e-4497438c7f50/

https://www.sec.gov/litigation/aljdec/1986/id19860930djm.pdf

During this time period there was ZERO insurance coverage on VV/GG and Action Park. He also created multiple corporations owning each other and different parts of the business to make it almost impossible to sue for damages.  As an example, the ski rental section of the business was separate from the ski area. The boots were owned by another company, and the skis and bindings where owned by a different company. The boots and skis were then leased back to the rental company. I think the lifts and the snowmaking were also owned by a separate company. He also built all the townhouses without proper bonding or insurance.

He was a criminal.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
He was a genius. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
This post was updated on .
https://www.legacy.com/amp/obituaries/app/160701992

Gene Walter Mulvihill AGE: 78

New Vernon Gene Walter Mulvihill, 78, of New Vernon, New Jersey passed away on Saturday, October 27 at his home. He is survived by his wife, Gail, six children and 16 grandchildren. Mr. Mulvihill was a pioneer in the mutual fund industry and a venture capitalist and financier with a distinguished career spanning many industries including cellular broadcast, cancer drugs, robotics, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), amusement park rides, ranching and real estate development. He was well-known for his long affiliation with Vernon Valley Great Gorge Ski Area and Action Park and, more recently, with his role at Mountain Creek and Crystal Springs Resorts. In support of his resort and hotel interests, Mr. Mulvihill assembled a celebrated wine cellar, La Tour, which received a Grand Award by Wine Spectator. Upon learning of Mr. Mulvihill's passing, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie commented "Gene Mulvihill's contributions to the economic development of Sussex County are unquestionable. His unique vision and entrepreneurial spirit will be greatly missed." Mr. Mulvihill grew up in West Orange, New Jersey and graduated from West Orange High School and Lehigh University. He served in the U.S. Marines Corps 2nd Battalion, 1st Marine Division and earned a rank of Captain.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
No shit eh......I couldn’t ever in a million years pull any of that off.

An insanely motivated genius I’d add.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Without question the best Amusement park I ever went to.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Johnnyonthespot wrote
You seem to have issues identifying con men.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
The closing quote was the best

“When you do something as crazy, as cutting-edge” as Action Park, he said, “and you put it in the metro New York area, where New Yorkers are pretty much crazy anyway, you have stories.”

Yup
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
You seem to have issues identifying con men.
Haha! That's pretty good. I didn't mean to come at you too hard. Maybe none of you ever broke the law? People change man.

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
The closing quote was the best

“When you do something as crazy, as cutting-edge” as Action Park, he said, “and you put it in the metro New York area, where New Yorkers are pretty much crazy anyway, you have stories.”

Yup
The rest of the world has yet to understand.... My first trip there as a young lad was actually with the same person who got me into skiing. I remember some fights, nudity, and scars. I think I was ten or so. It was friggin awesome!

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I have a certain appreciation for people that say fuck the law and go for things on their own acceptable terms. Crimes that buck the system and controls they try to adhere are not always all bad imho. That shit takes serious balls. This, of course as long as it isn’t a violent crime with an obvious victim.

If this opinion takes you a bit off I can’t apologize, ever take any drugs? If so then you too like to question big government.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Hell yeah. As the saying goes..."Thick as thieves."
Real recognizes real...
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Hell yeah. As the saying goes..."Thick as thieves."
Real recognizes real...
When the government steals our money we call it taxes, when a citizen steals from the government we call them a criminal.

Don't be a sucker yall. Call it like it is and realize that we might not have the balls to really call em out. I'm not saying that this person was a good guy but I'm not willing to say he wasn't either. Claiming that he was simply a criminal might be over simplifying a complicated topic and you might be on an internet high horse.

Either way, he created Action Park and is legendary because of it.

What have you done to make the world a cooler place?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
I hear ya, RA. Not sure I’m totally in agreement but there’s a case to be made for keeping a little chaos in the world. The guy definitely broke the law on the insurance side of things but he got caught and presumably served whatever his sentence was. That doesn’t invalidate peoples’ good experiences there. The article says six deaths between ‘78 and ‘96. How does that stack up against a ski resort? I’d be surprised if there weren’t six deaths at Hunter over that period of time.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Brownski wrote
I hear ya, RA. Not sure I’m totally in agreement but there’s a case to be made for keeping a little chaos in the world. The guy definitely broke the law on the insurance side of things but he got caught and presumably served whatever his sentence was. That doesn’t invalidate peoples’ good experiences there. The article says six deaths between ‘78 and ‘96. How does that stack up against a ski resort? I’d be surprised if there weren’t six deaths at Hunter over that period of time.
good point..I think Hunter has 1 or 2 deaths a year..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
i took a girlfriend friend there on date, lol! she got pretty effed up on the rope swing so we never made to the really cool shit
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
i took a girlfriend friend there on date, lol! she got pretty effed up on the rope swing so we never made to the really cool shit
This made me laugh. Sounds like something I would have done if I lived down here at that age.