Training for Utah: Part Deux - Jay Peak, VT

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Training for Utah: Part Deux - Jay Peak, VT

tBatt
Last December and early January graced the East Coast with lots of snow and favorable BC conditions, which was convenient because I had been laid off from my job just after Thanksgiving. I took the five weeks between work and moving West to ski a whole lot.

This season, apparently, is working out just the same. Friday was my last day of work, and this Saturday I will be headed back to Alta. The FIS folk kept hinting toward lots of snow for Tuesday AM. MattChuck2 and I talked about going up to Vermont for some turns, but nothing was set in stone. At about 10 Monday night, Matt sent me this pic and the following text.

"I think we have to go tomorrow?"

Photo: Worth Skis

So, we agreed to meet up and go. About half way there I have Weasel1 a call to check up on conditions from MRG (closest place with snow), where he informed me it was good, but deeper as you head farther North. He said TC and Co. would be at Jay and they were reporting 2+ feet. Score. Target Acquired.

We didn't much more than a dusting until we got to Montgomery. Once we started up toward Jay from there, it started looking DEEEEEEEEP.

We parked over on Stateside, took a long, winding path to the top of Bonnie's lift where there was a pump house which was unlocked and heated. Double Score. Shout out to the random dude we met in there who kept us safe.

We skied and it was awesome and stuff. On the way home, we stopped by Plattsburgh so I could say HI to a buddy before I left for Utah. We talked about calling him on the way up, but I didn't think he had a touring setup and he had class. Turns out I was wrong - Hank had brought a touring setup two days before and he didn't have class. There was chatter about Matt and I saying the night and going back for round two. SURPRISE Matt has a real job and he couldn't. I drove Matt back to Saratoga, ran home, took a shower, and headed back up to Plattsburgh so we could go to Jay for round two.

(This space may or may not be filled with a POV from MC2)

Day 1 had clouds, strong gusts of wind, iPhone photos, and about 12" of blower on 12" of dense, supportive cream.

Round Two delivered, too. Same as day one, only more people, Sunshine, and a 60D.

Green Beret (was extremely bony on the headwall, and DEEEP towards the bottom.

Powerline (was DEEEEEP everywhere.)

Now, if I could just train to live at 8,500ft with no oxygen, I'd be set, because I think my hip flexors are thoroughly shot.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Training for Utah: Part Deux - Jay Peak, VT

Telemark Dave

Awesome!  I am jealous beyond belief.  Way to get some Tbatt... You too Mattchuck!

Pics 7 and 10 are total stokitude.

Thanks for taking the time to share.  

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
It was definitely awesome. I should have gone yesterday, too. Damn job, getting in the way of living my life. Video tonight.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
wicked cool
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Great pics...well done.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by tBatt
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
ahh to be young again..
nice report..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by tBatt
Such a great story.

I've only skied Jay a couple days, but it seems like the top of Green Beret is often bony and where it got deep — I think MC2 had an faceshot avatar from that same spot last year.

Love that last pic of Hank.

Saweet report tBatt, thanks for posting!

(Feel free to start an Alta Conditions thread :)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
good for u guys!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I've only skied Jay a couple days, but it seems like the top of Green Beret is often bony and where it got deep — I think MC2 had an faceshot avatar from that same spot last year.
I chuckked when he said it was bony.  Green Beret is always bony at the top even in March and to say that in November was pretty funny to me.

Looked out of this world great.  Very jelous.  Good for you guys for getting the goods.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This post was updated on .
Video will be live here in about 40 minutes according to youtube:

EDIT: We're live. Quality is a little lame (youtube), but just watch in a small screen and it looks good.

Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Damn job
Second that one.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Like!  Except for the words to the song. I only got five years left.

Words aside, great tune.

Cool when the second day pops up all sunny.

I think if you know the people the helmet cam is way more tolerable.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
Like!  Except for the words to the song. I only got five years left.

I think if you know the people the helmet cam is way more tolerable.
Haha, I heard the song today driving out to a site for work and I was like, you know what? This is true. I mean, you get more, but how many real skiing years do you have? Cut off a few on the beginning and a few on the end, our skiing lives are short, and we have to take advantage of them (although, like I said, I thought of this at work).

I'm not a HUGE fan of helmet cams. I like the chest cam a little better (what I used for this vid), but it's really only good when there's someone else in the frame. I tried to keep close to Ted so you could see him, but then I realized I was skiing in his tracks when there was perfectly untouched snow 3 feet away. So you can see me veer off to get some fresh.

The best ski videos come from preparation, setup, picturing shots in your mind, patiently waiting for the right light, etc. But I like skiing, and I don't want to disrupt an awesome ski day because I need to take a video. I'd rather just rip it up and live with what I get from the Go Pro.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
All I can say is that you young bastards better keep posting this stuff in five years when I'm in my wheel chair and all I can do is watch. You owe me that for all the work I put into this gerbil powered site.

Hey MC... the title of this thread... you going out to Utah this year?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I'm working on an Alta/PowMow/Grand Targhee/Jackson Hole Trip. Thinking of renting a big place in Jackson Hole depending on how many people we can get. Probably can get you a room if you want in. Southwest flights to SLC are cheap. Late March/Early April.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
mattchuck2 wrote
I'm working on an Alta/PowMow/Grand Targhee/Jackson Hole Trip. Thinking of renting a big place in Jackson Hole depending on how many people we can get. Probably can get you a room if you want in. Southwest flights to SLC are cheap. Late March/Early April.
In a good year I get one "destination" trip. I really want to get to Smuggs this year and this might be the year to do it. Got a nice offer from the marketing peeps up there and River is calling Smuggs home this year.

Hey tBatt... 100mm Worths... too skinny for Utah?
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Harvey wrote
Hey tBatt... 100mm Worths... too skinny for Utah?
You should be alright. My touring ski was 90mm underfoot with traditional camber, resort ski was 112 with lots of tip and tail rocker. Going up to 100mm with tip rocker for the touring ski and probably getting something around 90mm for a frontside ski. 112 is definitely too much for crud bustin'.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Thanks Matt.  Looked great to my Friday early morning pre commute eyes..

In fact, I think I'll watch it again when I get to work...just because..

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Excellent work, MC2 and TBatt. Good line choices too: Powerline can be a sleeper and the Derick, well the Derick Hot Shot is just a great trail anytime. This got me thinking - what would I have skied had I been there? JFK for sure, it collects snow on skier's left and possibly Kitzbuhel. The Kitz skis low-snow conditions very well, despite its gnarly reputation. Although this was hardly low-snow!
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report