74 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trouble in River City

Benny Profane
PeeTex wrote
JasonWx wrote
Pee..Here is the reality ... Most of the back out the house restaurant employees are from south of the boarder.With out these wonderful people there will be not be a restaurant industry... "white America doesn't cook"I am the exception..

I learned spanish working in kitchens..spanish is the primary language spoken at my unit..
White America doesn't cook because the incentives are not there. The incentives are not there because of the policies we have had in place for decades and the stigma we have placed on service jobs or those jobs the require manual labor or little education. These are jobs you can’t export.
Really, dude, have you ever worked for minimum after college? White kids don't, unless it's Starbucks, and that ain't minimum, with benefits.
I did. It sucked. It's not a wonderful thing. But, at least, if you were a good boy, you could management track at KFC or, maybe, lift ops at Killington. Not really anymore. You have to be smart to be middle class now. The union gigs are long gone, which is key. You're on your own. Good luck. Don't screw up. No net.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Harv - PTaxx started this out with a political agenda from the very first post. Please move it over to that forum so his shit doesn't' clutter up the non-political forums.

Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Can you please explain, Peetex?  I have no idea what you're trying to say here.  What policies are your referring to?
He can't explain because he just pulls stuff out of his ass. Why you guys here take this idiot seriously is beyond me. Asking him to explain is giving him legitimacy when he deserves none. Most of what he says he just makes up, or at best is tremendously contorted from reality. He's the living definition of fucktard. He can't think beyond one dimension, and even that he can only process if it is in line with what he already agrees with.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Marcski wrote
.  No one uses cash anymore, so employers are forced to pay employees on the books. So, now back of house employees are not only making mediocre to poor wages but the gov't is having its share as well..
This seems like a weird critique. "We used to do illegal shit, but now it's harder to do that, so our business is failing"
Oddly I had the same thought
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Z wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Marcski wrote
.  No one uses cash anymore, so employers are forced to pay employees on the books. So, now back of house employees are not only making mediocre to poor wages but the gov't is having its share as well..
This seems like a weird critique. "We used to do illegal shit, but now it's harder to do that, so our business is failing"
Oddly I had the same thought
I don’t think it’s a critique or a complaint. Marcski is just describing reality. Widespread tax evasion is part of the bar and restaurant business.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Brownski wrote
I don’t think it’s a critique or a complaint. Marcski is just describing reality. Widespread tax evasion is part of the bar and restaurant business.
Okay, but... Maybe it shouldn't be?

Like, it's one thing for a waitress to "forget" to claim a few dollars in cash tips as income.

It's another thing for someone to line up to collect social security after 40 years working in a diner, only to find that none of that work mattered at all, and she'll collect the same amount as someone with no job.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Marcski

Marc you are spot on!!!

And River is correct too...I have had 1 full day off in the month of August...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Marcski wrote
Can you please explain, Peetex?  I have no idea what you're trying to say here.  What policies are your referring to?
He can't explain because he just pulls stuff out of his ass. Why you guys here take this idiot seriously is beyond me. Asking him to explain is giving him legitimacy when he deserves none. Most of what he says he just makes up, or at best is tremendously contorted from reality. He's the living definition of fucktard. He can't think beyond one dimension, and even that he can only process if it is in line with what he already agrees with.
Silly Willy must have caught little Willy in his zipper again
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by billyymc
What a bunch of wasted words.

Owners in the service industry are going to have to start paying their employee decent wages or risk going out of business. Supply and demand. For a long time now owners of hotels/ restaurant have been pocketing a lot of money and crying about paying help. Fact I know owners of hotels knocking down 400k per year but they are unwilling to take a 50k per year cut to pay for health insurance for their employees. They constantly scramble for them.  Their answer they worked for it. Well they did but they got help along the way.
Supply and demand will take hold if left alone. You want to retain empress
Employees... Give them health insurance.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
tjf1967 wrote
What a bunch of wasted words.

Owners in the service industry are going to have to start paying their employee decent wages or risk going out of business. Supply and demand. For a long time now owners of hotels/ restaurant have been pocketing a lot of money and crying about paying help. Fact I know owners of hotels knocking down 400k per year but they are unwilling to take a 50k per year cut to pay for health insurance for their employees. They constantly scramble for them.  Their answer they worked for it. Well they did but they got help along the way.
Supply and demand will take hold if left alone. You want to retain empress
Employees... Give them health insurance.
tjf..My cooks on avg make 20+ $ a hour no nights and  either sat or sunday off plus a weekday.... they have 401k and health that they have to pay for but not a crazy amount..
nobody wants to do this kind of work anymore
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Anybody who has to work for minimum wage without Bennies after earning a degree chose the wrong degree. I had plenty of minimum wage jobs, my first was flipping burgers for $1.00/hr. Luckily I didn’t have to live on that.

Without getting political, I view today’s economy as being in a rebuilding stage after decades of decline. The current conditions are somewhat similar to post WW2, however then there was a shortage of skilled labor and a shortage of highly educated labor. Today the shortage is in unskilled and skilled trades labor and a strong market for educated STEM graduates. This is beginning to drive a shift in power from the employer to the employee. If it continues you will see a return of benefits, retirement plans, and a tightening of the gap between blue collar and white collar jobs as well as a strengthening of unions.

Restaurant owners will have to treat people better, whether it’s pooling resourced in LP to supply housing & transportation and offering better pay or offering profit sharing or other incentives. This will require a shift in the business model and profit margins of all businesses.

The bigger issue for those in the ski industry, particularly ORDA - who will want to stuff butts in chairs for lousy pay and grumpy management?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Jason,
Are your cooks quitting? If yes then have you asked why? If the answer is they don’t like the work, have you asked why? Keep asking why until you get to the real issues and then work on the corrections. It’s not hard but you will likely need to give up something you were unwilling to in the past:
Less profit
Less control
Even less ownership.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by JasonWx
I don't know the answer. You have college educated culinary kids working for 40 k per year paying for their own benefits in one of the mostt expensive places to live in the country. Rather that increasing salary if their health insurance was paid for completely I would think you would handcuff them from leaving... At least the responsible one and those are who you want to keep. I could never imagine working without health insurance.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I'm in agreement with you here.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
I don't know the answer. You have college educated culinary kids working for 40 k per year paying for their own benefits in one of the mostt expensive places to live in the country. Rather that increasing salary if their health insurance was paid for completely I would think you would handcuff them from leaving... At least the responsible one and those are who you want to keep. I could never imagine working without health insurance.
Culinary kids don't want to be cooks they want to be chefs thus they make lousy cooks..I work for a big company and don't control the insurance and other benefits

cooks are leaving for various reason..not because of money
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Young people lack common sense. Your company offers a route to financial security through hard work. They chose the field. Not everyone is going to be the next Gordon Ramsey. Your dedication could possibly be part of the problem. They keep pushing and pushing cause they have you by the short hairs.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
tjf1967 wrote
Young people lack common sense. Your company offers a route to financial security through hard work. They chose the field. Not everyone is going to be the next Gordon Ramsey. Your dedication could possibly be part of the problem. They keep pushing and pushing cause they have you by the short hairs.
hate to say it but you are 100% right...

but my dedication is starting to wane..i'm burnt out and very unhappy..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JasonWx wrote
tjf1967 wrote

I know how you feel, Jason. Golden handcuffs is how it was described to me. We should open our own place...
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Brownski wrote
JasonWx wrote
tjf1967 wrote

I know how you feel, Jason. Golden handcuffs is how it was described to me. We should open our own place...
I'm so fried from the daily job of managing people..My fantasy   job is , to sit in cubical and do data entry and not have any human interaction..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Ha! That’s awesome.