Tuckerman Ravine 4.14.13

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tuckerman Ravine 4.14.13

gorgonzola
After 3 years of failed plans to ski tuckerman ravine it was time to get off the seesaw of deliberation. Reports of rain, snow, moderate avy danger had me reconsidering the trip, but worse case alternate plans of a test hike with the packs to ski the sherbourne trail or a lift served day at wildcat or cannon didn’t seem all that bad. The adventure was on
The forecast snow never really materialized , Saturday’s reports weren’t as crusty as expected and the avy danger was posted as low Sunday morning – it was time to go! Junior and I set out in intermittet sun and snow showers and it didn’t take us long to work up a sweat with mild temps in the mid/upper thirties.

As we neared hojo’s the snow was coming down harder. After a quick break and chat with one of the rangers we continued on.  The sun shined for one incredible moment as we emerged from the pines exposing the spatial glory of the rising walls of the bowl, then was gone.  No words or pics can communicate seeing the awesomeness and pitch of the bowl for the first time

Visibility and skier numbers were low. we observed the various ski routes through the windy mix of snow and balls of packing peanut foam  as we booted up before deciding on right gully.

It was slow going trying to get a foothold in the soft snow and crusty surface below with no real boot ladder. Crampons definitely would have been the way to go for the upper elevations. Youth had the advantage as I peeled off right just before the rock entrance to the gully, telling my son to go as far as he felt comfortable and to remember he still had to get his skis off the pack and click in. He quickly caught up to a group ahead and followed in their boot tracks. He disappeared up into the gully to reach about 3/4 of the way to the headwall.  It felt like a lifetime in the wind and snow waiting for him to emerge before following him down.

His smile best describes the ski down through bootish deep cream cheese. (There was no way I was fiddling with a camera for any action shots – it was hard enough managing the pack and skis).

The sun shined for another brief moment to see our tracks. We toasted with sly fox and a&w before heading down the little headwall

The sun came out again for lunch and hydration at hojo’s before setting off down the sherbourne trail.

The sherbie ski’d nicely top to bottom with soft spring snow and bumps and took us right to the car. It was amazing that an hour later I had gone from full on winter to sitting on the hotel room deck having a beer in shorts and a t.

Certainly a great first tuckerman trip, the un-crowded and variable conditions provided more of the alpine adventure that we were looking for vs. mountain party shit show. Since we didn’t reach the top of the headwall, I guess we’ll just have to give it a go next year for the full tux experience

On the way home Monday we stopped at killington. No better way to end a ski season than 50 degrees, great coverage, and bumps, bumps, and more bumps!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tuckerman Ravine 4.14.13

Marcski
Sounds like an awesome trip, Gorgonzola. Great way to make memories with your son.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
No words or pics can communicate seeing the awesomeness and pitch of the bowl for the first time
Been to Hojo's once but never to the top. Can't wait.

That looks like a ton of fun. Snow looks really deep too.

As ml would say, you never know until you go.

Thanks for the report!

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
Tony Matt April 16,1939 Inferno Race from the top straight over the headwall down the Sherburne trail 8 plus miles in 6 minutes 29 seconds. Still amazes me.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Thanks for the report Gorgo. After I had read the report on the conditions last Sat I was rather dissapointed we decided to wait, your report and the pics will help when we go next weekend. This weekend I am off to hike in the Daks. Glad Junior had a big smile and it was a successful day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
Nice tr Gorg.  
gorgonzola wrote
The sun shined for one incredible moment as we emerged from the pines exposing the spatial glory of the rising walls of the bowl, then was gone.  No words or pics can communicate seeing the awesomeness and pitch of the bowl for the first time.
The awe doesn't diminish one bit after the first time.  I've been to tux maybe a half dozen time and it always impresses and awes.  It's a place like no other.  Gotta get back.

Hudsonhiker wrote
Tony Matt April 16,1939 Inferno Race from the top straight over the headwall down the Sherburne trail 8 plus miles in 6 minutes 29 seconds. Still amazes me.
So true. The guy was the original bad ass of skiing.  Toni Matt's run hasn't been equaled in nearly 75 years.  Wow.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Nice trip
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Got one thing fer ya----

that smile on JR says it all
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
So true. The guy was the original bad ass of skiing.  Toni Matt's run hasn't been equaled in nearly 75 years.  Wow.

You ever read his first hand account in Lou Dawson's Wild Snow?  (The book, not the website).   I think he says something like "I was young and strong and very dumb".  The guy just screamed down the East snowfields from the summit and launched over the lip.  On equipment like this:

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by Hudsonhiker
after being there tony matt's run is incomprehensible, on any equipment
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I love it up there. Awesome trip, it's a much needed notch in anyone's belt. Pretty sweet that you got to do it with your son, I can't even get my dad to hike it in summer! If you can get back up there, Left Gully is my favorite of all of the lines. It gets a little bumped out for some, but you guys would love it (judging by the K pic). It's steep and interesting, and just holds so much snow for so long.

Thanks for sharing.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
... and a wet slab slide today, just crazy!
http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
  Thanks for the TR, what an awesome place! I made my first, and so far only, visit two years ago Memorial Day Weekend. Wasn't a whole lot left in the bowl by then, but had a great time nonetheless. You're right, that first view of the ravine from Ho Jo's is awe inspiring. The best part of skiing Wildcat is having George in your face all day, reminded me of being out West. Glad you missed the slide, it is a beautiful but dangerous place, no doubt...we're not at Greek Peak anymore Toto!
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
nice report

jealous