Tuckermans

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tuckermans

raisingarizona
I keep seeing Instagram updates of tucks right now and it looks incredible. Mid winter pow skiing conditions with general stability. I think it’s time to get it. Any takers?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tuckermans

ScottyJack
Umm, its probably -100F up there right now.   Major artic blast has moved in up here!!   Full on blizzard out my window right now
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
As Warren Miller once said “2 feet of snow over 5 feet of rocks” and for Tucks you have to account for brush. I would thing the Sherbie is skiing very well though.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Umm, its probably -100F up there right now.   Major artic blast has moved in up here!!   Full on blizzard out my window right now
Too cold for your delicate body ScottySnowflake.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Apparently, Huntington Ravine is in:
https://vimeo.com/301579596

Which is no surprise. The eastern facing ravines of Washington get blow in from the northwest winds. Some gullies must be loaded. Hermit Lake is reporting 2.5' of snowpack. Nothing I want to play with.

I've skinned Cannon three times in the past five days and it is absolutely amazing up there. It isn't fluffy, but it is supportive and bottomless. More than enough fun for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Ha!  You are a soft marsh mellow man!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I don’t care how tough someone is, -100 will kill you.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by riverc0il
One thing with base is that the way it skis or it’s quality is less about depth and more about its structure. A heavy, supportive 40 inches skis a whole lot better and safer than 70 of rot.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Time to resurrect the thread!  With weekends thru Easter pretty much accounted for, time to start thinking about late April.  Weekend after Easter, whether permitting, of course?  Thinking about getting a few guys together.  Anyone here thinking about it?  NYSkiBlog takes Tuckerman?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
I'm thinking about it although wknd after easter may not work cause I have work travel.  I was thinking of Cinco de Mayo.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Man it’s tough to plan so far in advance for back country skiing, it can even create dangers. I wish you guys good luck though, get it!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Time to resurrect the thread!  With weekends thru Easter pretty much accounted for, time to start thinking about late April.  Weekend after Easter, whether permitting, of course?  Thinking about getting a few guys together.  Anyone here thinking about it?  NYSkiBlog takes Tuckerman?
I might be in! Or I might bail if it's not warm & sunny! As RA said, tough to plan in advance.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Hmmm....I guess because “whether” was spelled wrong the intent of my post didn’t really come across!   Sorry, my bad?

Yeah, this is more of an idea than a plan.  Having executed a trip or two to the backcountry , I know the impossibility of setting a plan this far in advance.  Especially on Mount Washington.  I’ve pulled my share of last minute plugs, too.  That said, we all know that if you don’t get something on the radar and at least start the thought process it’s never going to happen.

So, weather permitting, knowing it may not come off, and setting all Heuristic traps aside....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
I'm due to go back - it's been a minute...

Went every year - sometimes twice - for over a decade..  Then a stopped a few years ago when I hit a moose and totalled my car.  Took Avi 1 and 2 there as well...