UT and Jackson conditions Inquiry

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

UT and Jackson conditions Inquiry

Jon951

Sounds like it may have rained earlier in the week at all PC resorts, Snowbasin, and Powder Mt. Just wondering if anyone's been out there this week and can fill me in on what's going on weather wise. Heading out on Tuesday for the week and planning to hit Jackson as well. Heard that's a 5 hr. drive from SLC/PC and have no prob with making the drive with my two older sons who will be with me.

Thanks!
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: UT and Jackson conditions Inquiry

marznc
The best weather source for Utah is Wasatch Snow Forecast.

http://www.wasatchsnowforecast.com

Are you talking about Tuesday, March 15?  You could be arriving right after a snowstorm.

The drive from SLC to Jackson takes closer to 6 hours.  There are a few different routes.  Going farther east is better if it's snowing.  Going through Soda Springs can be the fastest way as long as there isn't too much snow on RT34 in the mountains.  My friends and I went that way a few years ago.  Even though it hadn't snowed for a few weeks there was still snow on the edge of the road on shady corners.  We took US189 to I-80 on the way back.  No mountain driving going that way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Thanks, and yes, Tuesday March 15th. This is great news.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
just remember that Jackson has a southerly exposure..Unless there is fresh snow, not the best place to be in March..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
JasonWx wrote
just remember that Jackson has a southerly exposure..Unless there is fresh snow, not the best place to be in March..
Thanks...didn't know this. Good to know. Heading out this afternoon, sking tomorrow. 1st stop Pow Mow, then Snowbasin, then off to Jackson if we chose. Catching Little Cottonwood on the rebound.
"Feets fail me not"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
2 years ago we were at PowMo after a rain event on the lower mt which took out a great deal of terrian.  Heard it did that last week.  Best way to check is call thier adventure center and ask to speak to a guide about a booking a guide and ask.  They will give you the straight deal.  

By the way thier guides are a good way to learn the area if you have not been there before.  It is big and complex with lots of different aspects and it's not very expensive.  Like $195 for the day for up to 5 and it includes a ride on the pay per cat for everyone in the group which are 20 bucks per person.

Same goes for Snowbasin.  If it's rained recently you be stuck on groomers. I really like them both but Both of these areas are much lower than LCC so they are can have thier good terrian wiped out by a rain event.  I've had it happen a few times to me.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Coach Z wrote
By the way thier guides are a good way to learn the area if you have not been there before.  It is big and complex with lots of different aspects and it's not very expensive.  Like $195 for the day for up to 5 and it includes a ride on the pay per cat for everyone in the group which are 20 bucks per person.
Thanks Z,

There will be three of us and we have the Warren Miller vouchers, so if this isn't the best opportunity for us to have a great day, I can't imagine what else we could possibly do to top this offer. $195 would put us at 65 bucks each, way less than purchasing a lift ticket at most mountains.

Oh, btw, never been there b4..have spent lots of time at Big/Lil' Cottonwood and the PC resorts. My best friend has lived in PC for ~30 years and instructed at Deer Valley for quite some time. The only time I stayed away from PC was in 2002 (during the Olympics), per my friends suggestion to stay away from the hoopla.  

The cat ride sounds especially sweet. Thanks again for your input! have a great day!
"Feets fail me not"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
it was $195 last year but just checked the PowMo website and its $220 this year for a full day guide

http://www.powdermountain.com/

you still need lift tickets on top of that.  it does include at least one cat ride which $20 a head.  For about 50 bucks you get someone to show you the best aspects to ski - its worth it there.  You should tip the guide or at least buy beers after too.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Jon951
No need for guide. It's quite easy to navigate and stay on favorable aspects. Get your cat ticket at base before leaving for the day. Get up to Hidden lake lodge. I can't quite remember if it's one or 2 lifts to do that, but ski down this shaded aspect of red line  to road and shuttle bus will shoot you back up to base. Maybe do this twice, but on 2nd trip have bus guy drop you at Sundown which will be on your left coming back up on shuttle. Then you can take lift up to the cat pickup

Then from the cat drop off either ski the n facing trees off that ridge or ski down the ridge(redline) and drop into the shaded chutes. I would personally opt for the chutes. They get skied less as some rock scrambling may be required to get into. They also have some shading. The clip below is from the blue line chute. If your ambitious from the cat drop hike up to James peak, but that area gets sun baked so only go if new snow. You'll ski down to cat track and run that all the way down to Paradise lift.

Ride paradise lift up and the favorable aspects right here will be in your face. Make some runs here

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
here's what James peak looks like from the ridge where cat drop is. You can see it gets the full force of the sun

Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Good info on PowMow - wish I'd had this before I went out there a few weeks ago!  They give you a decent trail map but it's hard to render a 3D topo on a  2D map.  I took the free guided tour which was enough to get the lay of the land.  That said, you can pretty much ski wherever you want to and eventually you end up back at a lift.  Throw in the snowcat rides and I think you could spend 3-4 days here without hitting the same run.  If you get bored then book an all day cat skiing trip - more awesome terrain that a maximum of 20 skiers get to enjoy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

onscott wrote
Good info on PowMow - wish I'd had this before I went out there a few weeks ago!  They give you a decent trail map but it's hard to render a 3D topo on a  2D map.  I took the free guided tour which was enough to get the lay of the land.  That said, you can pretty much ski wherever you want to and eventually you end up back at a lift.  Throw in the snowcat rides and I think you could spend 3-4 days here without hitting the same run.  If you get bored then book an all day cat skiing trip - more awesome terrain that a maximum of 20 skiers get to enjoy.
Sounds great...thanks to everyone for the info...heading to mountain in a few minutes. A bit of fresh at PowMow and Snowbasin, but not much...on the order of 2-4"...not complaining!
"Feets fail me not"