20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Unrestored Survivor 1960 Corvette

campgottagopee
Unrestored Survivor 1960 Corvette Might Be Most Original in Existence

What a find!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/unrestored-survivor-1960-corvette-might-be-most-original-in-existence/ar-BBhYhmm
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Unrestored Survivor 1960 Corvette

Petronio
Sweet

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Cool story, there are probably many cars like that waiting to be found.

My aunt's second husband had a 1968 MG MGB roadster that he managed to get into his basement in the early 70s because he wanted to do some work on the car. He removed the windshield, wheels and mirrors, built a ramp of sorts and pushed the car through the basement window, onto another ramp supported by blocks of wood. By removing one level of blocks at a time, he lowered the car to the floor, and there it sat.  I saw it there about 10 years ago, sitting on the basement floor, just before he passed away. The car was mint, with about 10,000 original miles on it.

After he died, my aunt sold the house and moved to a retirement home. Not sure what happened to the car, I hope it went to a good home. Or maybe it is still there!
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sick Bird Rider wrote

My aunt's second husband had a 1968 MG MGB roadster that he managed to get into his basement in the early 70s because he wanted to do some work on the car. He removed the windshield, wheels and mirrors, built a ramp of sorts and pushed the car through the basement window, onto another ramp supported by blocks of wood. By removing one level of blocks at a time, he lowered the car to the floor, and there it sat.  I saw it there about 10 years ago, sitting on the basement floor, just before he passed away. The car was mint, with about 10,000 original miles on it.

HUGE MGB fan, here! I've always been fascinated by MG's and Triumphs. 25yrs ago or so I owned a 1980 Triumph TR7 convertible, what great fun I had with that car. Traded it for a 1978 Vette, wish I would've kept the TR7. I'll own another one someday, but it will be a 80 or 81 TR8. Same body style as the TR7 but with a 3.8 V8 .... vroom, vroom
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Cool car.  My dad gave me a 67 Austin Healey 3000.  The thing is in better condition looks wise than the vette.  It has not been started in about 10 years.  One of those things you don't get around to.  It is inside and covered.  Sooner or later I will get around to messing with it. For now it sits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
campgottagopee wrote
HUGE MGB fan, here! I've always been fascinated by MG's and Triumphs. 25yrs ago or so I owned a 1980 Triumph TR7 convertible, what great fun I had with that car. Traded it for a 1978 Vette, wish I would've kept the TR7. I'll own another one someday, but it will be a 80 or 81 TR8. Same body style as the TR7 but with a 3.8 V8 .... vroom, vroom
The MGBs are beautiful cars. Back in the 70s, several of my friends had 'Bs, in various states of disrepair. Mostly roadsters, though one had a B GT, the body of which was about 50% bondo.

If you and TJ appreciate British sports cars, you will like this story. My dad bought a new Triumph Spitfire in 1969, then gave it to my older brother, the famous Jonny Jay, in 1971. JJ drove the Spit for a few years, then it sat in his barn for a long time until he could afford to get it restored about 10 years ago. I was too young to drive the car when my dad had it, so was pretty stoked when I finally got to drive it over 30 years later. I needed a reminder about how to deal with "no synchro in first." It is pretty cool that the car has been in our family since it was new.

Hey Camp, have you ever heard this song? Turn up the volume for Richard Thompson's "MGB GT"

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Cool car.  My dad gave me a 67 Austin Healey 3000.  The thing is in better condition looks wise than the vette.  It has not been started in about 10 years.  One of those things you don't get around to.  It is inside and covered.  Sooner or later I will get around to messing with it. For now it sits.
Seriously?!?!?! You live in the mountains.....get that damn car running and enjoy her, she deserves to drop the top and cruise. What a sweet ride!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote

Hey Camp, have you ever heard this song? Turn up the volume for Richard Thompson's "MGB GT"

Never heard that be4 ---- "My MBG GT, she's a runner now"

OK, I'm getting spring fever
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967

This is what it looks like.  Same condition.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
OK this seems to have drifted into MGs.

I know a dude who was working for a older lady.  He looks into her garage and sees a MINT white 1965 MGA with 8000 miles.

The woman's son bought it, and sadly Uncle Sam sent him to Vietnam and he never returned.

He convinced her to sell it to him for $1000.

Karma is a bitch. He towed it on a flatbed, somehow it rolled off and was totalled.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote

This is what it looks like.  Same condition.
I'll come up this spring and help you get it running

That thing needs to be driven, not sittin!

What a beauty ----- yours is red too??
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
OK this seems to have drifted in MGs.

I know a dude who was working for a older lady.  He looks into her garage and sees a MINT white 1965 MGA with 8000 miles.

The woman's son bought it, and sadly Uncle Sam sent him to Vietnam and he never returned.

He convinces her to sell it to him for $1000.

Karma is a bitch. He towed it on a flatbed, somehow it rolled off and was totalled.
GOOD!! Hopefully the SOB didn't put insurance on it yet either.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Looks exactly like that.  Same color.  Going to have to put some marvel mystery oil down the plug holes.  The cylinders are probably seized.   The car is nicer to look at than drive.  It not overly fast, its bumpy and is a bitch to get out of.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'd fill those cylinders up now and let em soak until spring.

All thos Brit cars suck to drive. They're electrical nightmares, quirky, and hard as hell to find anyone who knows how to work on them. To me that's part of their charm ----- kinda like chicks, ya know what I mean

I've always wanted a Sunbeam Tiger

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
campgottagopee wrote
I've always wanted a Sunbeam Tiger

The Tiger is one very nice looking car. Wasn't there a V8 version of it as well? More cool factor than the TR8 IMHO. Probably as few parts floating around.

Just to branch out a bit, if we are talking about affordable 60s/70s Euro sports cars we would like to own, I have soft spot for old Volvos, especially the 1972/73 P 1800 ES. It has room for skis. I picked this picture because it represents the condition of the one I could afford:

I was the proud owner of a 1969 Volvo 122 S for a while in the 80s. Twin Stromberg carbs, that car looked old fashioned but was pretty zippy. When it started. Mine was a red two-door like this, I named it Sven:

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I restored a TR6 in the early 90s, was chasing after a dream from when I was in my 20s. After I was done and drove around a bit I realized it was not as much fun as my Toyota Celica. I sold the bitch and never looked back. I also was a proud owner of a cherry red '56 bird when I was in High School - that was a cool car but drove like a tank - it was just a chopped 55 ford sedan in reality, and the damn thing never got me any chicks anyway. I sold it for a years worth of college tuition. Not a car person anymore.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Dig the old Volvos. My best man had a P1800 (not the bullet, the coupe) the thing got 40 mpg back before anyone cared about mileage.

My dad bought a 1971 Volvo 4 banger wagon. He bought it for $2800.

I'll never forget my grampa Cesaer in his heaviest Italian accent:

"You paid tree tousan dolla for a ca with fo cylindas?"

When that car had 120,000 miles on it the guy he carpooled with offered him $3000 for it... talk about resale, full original price for an eight-year-old car.

He had it for 275,000 miles and sold it to me for $200. I drove it for another 20,000 and sold it to another guy for $500.

Camp you would look awesome in that Tiger.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sick Bird Rider wrote

The Tiger is one very nice looking car. Wasn't there a V8 version of it as well? More cool factor than the TR8 IMHO. Probably as few parts floating around.

Not 100% sure but I think all the Tiger's are V8 ---- could look that up but don't feel like it

Yea, most true Brit sports car enthusiasts don't like the TR7's and 8's, kinda the bastard child of them all. Maybe that's why I like them....just always liked that wedge style.

Harv and SBR, those P1800's are wicked cool. My old boss had/has a set of them...the coupe, the sedan and the wagon. All fully restored and all in forest green. Those cars were certainly ahead of their time with fuel injection, 4 wheel power disc brakes etc etc

Very cool cars we're talking about , and for the most part very affordable toys.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
campgottagopee wrote
Not 100% sure but I think all the Tiger's are V8 ---- could look that up but don't feel like it
I'm having a slow morning. Camp, you are correct. The Tiger was a V8 version of the Sunbeam Alpine. Lots of info on Wikipedia, here is the executive summary:

Wikipedia wrote
The Sunbeam Tiger is a high-performance V8 version of the British Rootes Group's Sunbeam Alpine roadster, designed in part by American car designer and racing driver Carroll Shelby and produced from 1964 until 1967. Shelby had carried out a similar V8 conversion on the AC Cobra, and hoped to be offered the contract to produce the Tiger at his facility in America. Rootes decided instead to contract the assembly work to Jensen at West Bromwich in England, and pay Shelby a royalty on every car produced.

Two major versions of the Tiger were built: the Series I (1964–67) was fitted with the 260 cu in (4.3 L) Ford V8; the Series II, of which only 633 were built in the final year of Tiger production, was fitted with the larger Ford 289 cu in (4.7 L) engine.

....The 1965 Tiger Series I gained some exposure on American television as the car of choice for Maxwell Smart in the spoof spy series Get Smart.
The full story is here.

What a great show this was (Tiger appears in first 20 seconds):

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Geesh, didn't know Carroll Shelby was in on that ---- no wonder they're so friggin cool