classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
40 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Utah advice

Z
It may sound crazy but I'm starting to plan next winters vacation for my family.  If you want to use freq flyer miles you have to plan ahead.

I'm looking at staying in SLC and do a ski safari.  Has anyone ever done that and commuted up to the various ski areas?  What advice can you offer?

I'm looking at the back half of President's week - has anyone been in Utah then - how busy will it be?

I also want to hit Powder Mt and stay up in Eden for a couple of nights - who has been there?  I hear its great.  7000 acres but not that many lifts. Not very commercial.  Pay per ride snow cats and bus service from some parts.

Also planning to hit Alta, Solitude, and Snowbasin and possibly Snowbird.  I'm not a fan of Park City or the Canyons.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Utah advice

Hoser
Yes - did Presidents week a couple times over the last few years.  It is not a holiday week there, so great time to go, even the Monday was not bad.   Hit SnowBasin on the holiday Monday.  Did Powder but was not a lot open due to conditions so can not comment.

Just hit Alta and Snowbird this past mid-April,  was mid-winter conditions and best powder in years (yes in April).  Must be incredible in Feb.  Stay away from Brighton unless you are a teen boarder, but the other three are have some of the best skiing in the country.  

Stayed in Layton to allow us to hit multiple hills,  love Park City,  Deer Valley too "resorty" (the opposite of Whiteface) and Canyons had some great crusiers but a younger crowd (although not a issue during that Feb week, just the weekend).

Do it, cant beat the access from the airport, and the highways allow easy travel to hit multiple mountians.  

so top five any time of year - SnowBird, Alta, SnowBasin, Solitude, and then Powder IF conditions are "normal" unlike when I was there.    
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
only been there once so i'm sure others with much more exp/knowledge will chime in - but i wouldn't make slc base camp, if you get the dumps your hoping for travel throught the canyon would suck, no?
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Hoser
Best reason to stay down in the valley is to avoid inter lodge up at Alta/Snowbird. I have met people who were stuck up there for 48 to 72 hours inside as avi dangers receded. If you're down in the valley, you then have the choice to go over to Park City or even up to Snowbasin/Powder. Never stayed down there, but, there are a lot of affordable options, from hotel/motel to condos. This: http://www.skiutah.com/winter/index.html  is an excellent resource.
Try to time your visit to Powder mountain to a few days after a storm. One can find a lot of powder there well after everything is gone down in Big/Little Cottonwood canyons. Great mountain that hopefully won't be ruined by it's new owners. If they have the snowmobile lifts, it's worth the price of admission. Snowbasin is awesome, too. If you catch a midweek storm, you'll never experience the kind of crowds that Alta does. Downside is that there is absolutely nothing else to do up there in Eden, and the drinking/dining options are severely limited, even.
I like Deer Valley, btw, because it attracts a crowd that can't ski powder, so, if you catch a storm, it's all yours, mostly. It's higher than Park City, so, gets the same quality snow as Alta. If your family likes grooming otherwise, there is no better groomed mountain in Utah. No snowboards, too. Awesome food. But, it will all cost you.
I may be out there this year. I bought the Mountain Collective pass, which includes Alta/Snowbird. All depends on conditions mid season.

Benny predicts that Utah skier days may very well be down next year, because of the legalization of weed next door in Colorado, enabling tourists to buy enough weed for the week along with the twelve pack they grab shopping off the plane. So, crowds may be down.

Have fun. Literally, the greatest snow on Earth. I have had more than one well travelled skier tell me that. I know I have had my finest powder experiences there.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Z
We stayed downtown last Xmas .. We skied Snowbasin, Solitude , Alta and Bird..
Very convenient and relatively inexpensive..Crowds are not a issue..
"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Thanks for the advice.  Staying up at Snowbird or Alta is expensive and the threat of interlodge keeps me from doing it.  If it dumps at least we could go to another area and ski - it would be good everywhere in that case.

We normally did slopeside lodging since we had a young kid but now as he is older its not as much as a priority to my wife to do that.  I like the idea of skiing a different area every day for a week and SLC puts so many areas within an hours drive.  Plus its lower elevation so sleeping will be much better.

I was going to go stay up in Eden or Ogden for a couple days to hit more Northern Snowbasin and Powder Mt.  I have been to Snowbasin before and I recall it being very uncrowded. I have not been to Powder Mt it sounds like that is the one place that is tougher to hit on the right days - is that what you guys are saying?

I'm not planning to go to Deer Valley or Park City but I guess if it has not snowed for some time they have more groomed skiing to make the best of it so that is a plan B I guess.

I was worried about all the local kids being out of school but it sounds like that is not the case.  I normally would just do a week at the end of January or early March when its not busy but my son is now taking Friday's off to train at NYSEF so we have to be careful not to take him out of school too much.  That left either President's week or Spring break.  Alta and Snowbird are great in April but I think that is too late for most of the others in Utah.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I have been to  Utah for Presidents  and Xmas weeks.. Crowds are not a issue..

We stayed here last Christmas.
 Residence Inn Salt Lake City - City Center 285 West Broadway (300 S),
Salt Lake City, Utah 84101 USA Phone: 1-801-355-3300 Fax: 1-801-355-0440

great price , location and it included breakfast..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Coach Z wrote
I was going to go stay up in Eden or Ogden for a couple days to hit more Northern Snowbasin and Powder Mt.  I have been to Snowbasin before and I recall it being very uncrowded. I have not been to Powder Mt it sounds like that is the one place that is tougher to hit on the right days - is that what you guys are saying?
No, I was just saying that it's a great place to hit if you want powder three days after a storm. Alta powder is gone by 10am. Otherwise, it's a great place, anytime.

Bunch of techies from California bought the place, and are turning it into some sort of retreat/conference center for geeks. Fortunately, their RE plans aren't as stupid and greedy as most resort developers, and, anyway, they probably wouldn't fill 500 condos up there, anyway. Snowbasin spent zillions putting in a few gondolas and new chairs and lodges for the Olympics, but, that place is till pretty sleepy and lacking in condo sprawl after all this time. Just not enough demand up in that valley, and most tourists stay near SLC (mostly Park City). Ogden, if you can handle it, is one of the cheapest little cities to live in out west next to primo snow. Unfortunately, I don't think I can handle it. I probably would go nuts in SLC.

I stayed in this place up in Eden  http://www.snowberryinn.com when it was run by the previous owners. Nice location. Fair price. I could tell you Mormon related stories about the old owners, but, I won't.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
Coach Z wrote
It may sound crazy but I'm starting to plan next winters vacation for my family.  If you want to use freq flyer miles you have to plan ahead.
Not crazy at all. I booked our Feb. ski trip last week, and I don't even have miles to use.

I've stayed in SLC many times and hit 5 different resorts in 5 days. My cousin lives there, so we had a free place to stay.  A lot of driving but a lot of fun.  Make sure you get a good 4WD car for the week. The traffic heading into the canyons can be slow, especially if the weather is bad.  I'm not a fan of Brighton, so I wouldn't go back there. We never made it to Powder or Snowbasin.  I was in Utah over Feb. break 3 years ago and there were no crowds. We were there again the week before Easter this year, and there were no crowds then either.  If you decide to go the Canyons Resort, you can pick up discount vouchers at Costco.  It will save a lot of $.

I forget how old your son is, but if he will be in 5th or 6th grade, Ski Utah has an amazing deal for 5th or 6th graders. 5th graders get 3 free days at every resort in Utah for a single fee of $35.  6th graders get 1 free day at each. I had the passport for my son who is in 6th grade, and it saved us some money, even though we only went to 2 resorts this year.  You sign up online and they send you a passport to present a the ticket window at each resort.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Benny Profane

Benny Profane wrote
No, I was just saying that it's a great place to hit if you want powder three days after a storm. Alta powder is gone by 10am. Otherwise, it's a great place, anytime.
possibly......as it's a bit lower in elevation with lots of sun exposure
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Best reason to stay down up canyon is to avoid inter lodge up at Alta/Snowbird.
Fixed it for you.

Seriously. Chances of a road restriction is WAY higher than chances of getting interlodged. I saw a couple days this year that took people 2-3 hours to get 8 miles down the canyon. Road opens for 15 mins then closes for an hour. That kinda BS.

Benny Profane wrote
Try to time your visit to Powder mountain to a few days after a storm. One can find a lot of powder there well after everything is gone down in Big/Little Cottonwood canyons.Snowbasin is awesome, too. If you catch a midweek storm, you'll never experience the kind of crowds that Alta does. Downside is that there is absolutely nothing else to do up there in Eden, and the drinking/dining options are severely limited, even.

PowMow is pretty sweet, but like Skimore said, it's pretty low elevation (summit is at maybe 6500 ft?) and gets baked on. When Miker92 and I headed up there a few years back it was right after a day of really intense sun, then the temps dropped to about 10°. The best North facing stuff that will stay protected is off of the cat skiing or wayyy skiers right on the mountain called Sanctuary (which takes about 40 minutes, some easy hiking, and three lifts to lap). Never been to Snowbasin, but It's definitely pretty far off the beaten path and will hold decent snow. That being said, Solitude does really well, too.

Benny Profane wrote
I like Deer Valley, btw, because it attracts a crowd that can't ski powder, so, if you catch a storm, it's all yours, mostly. It's higher than Park City, so, gets the same quality snow as Alta. If your family likes grooming otherwise, there is no better groomed mountain in Utah. No snowboards, too. Awesome food. But, it will all cost you.
Emphasis on cost, other than that, not much to add. If you're looking for the best groomers in the country, yeah I guess that's it. But, FWIW, I did have some guy on the lift tell me he loves Alta, that is has the best groomers in the world, and it was a top 10 day for him hands down. ...

I think ideal situation/logistics would be if you got there the day before a storm, get a ride from Alta Shuttle and stay in a lodge up LCC for a few nights. Enjoy the storm skiing, not getting caught in the red snake going back down into the valley, and hoping the road closes the next morning so you can enjoy your country club day. Catch the next day at Solitude, then head up to Snowbasin and PowMow for the last couple nights.

If you do decide to stay up LCC, then you won't need a rental car until you want to make your way over to Solitude or heading North to PowMow and Snowbasin. Logistics from LCC to Solitude would be a bit difficult, though.

Don't bother with Brighton (unless its NUKING and you want some night-time pow shredding.)

Staying the first night in the Valley is a pretty good idea to help acclimate.

Try renting a car from Somewhere outside of the airport. I have a buddy who has rented from Rugged Rentals for the past few years and hasn't had any problems. This year they had a four door Jeep Wrangler and they threw in free ski racks.

I think Snowpine has the cheapest up canyon lodging, but I have no idea what the accommodations are like. I'm gonna recommend the Goldminer's Daughter because its fkna awesome. DakerDan was there this year if you want an unbiased opinion of them.

PowMow and Snowbasin hold the snow longer, but usually get a lot less than LCC/BCC. OTOH, They usually get dumped on by the storms that miss LCC/BCC.

Send me a PM when you're in Alta and I'll give you the grand tour. Not sure if you have any BC gear, but even a shovel, beacon, and probe can get you into some better stuff without more than a 5 minute bootpack out. If you have a touring setup, then the options are endless, but I'm assuming you'll be with the rest of the fam, and they would want you to stick with them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
This post was updated on .
Well, I don't know, but, my best powder experience ever was at the old Snowbasin. Caught a midweek three day storm back before they built it up for the Olympics, when it was just two triples and two doubles, basically. I'll never forget the third morning, when I walked up to the lift and got into a line of six people at the base. I kid you not. There was at least 18 inches of Utah pow awaiting, after 18 the day before, some of it doing that floating in the air as crystals thing with the bluebird day starting, about 20 degrees. I shared a chair and a peace pipe with a local, and he was kind enough to guide me around. Luscious. That hooked me on somewhat remote hills with small crowds and good snow. It's my Holy Grail.
Yeah, both of those places can be iffy snow quality, but, really, what place ain't? Alta, of course, has the best snow, but, whenever it does snow, it's like testosterone time until lunch, fighting off all the ya brahs from the valley to get some. Then, it's gone.

I hear there are a lot of mountains in France and Italy that might make my Holy Grail list.

edit: I would beat myself unconscious with my ski boot if I got stuck up at Alta during interlodge. I know it doesn't happen as much as road closures, but, it does. At least you have a choice, and, I'm not so jaded that ANY utah mountain after a storm is better than none. Even Brighton. That place can be fun.
funny like a clown
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by tBatt
TBatt - checked Powder Mt's elevation and its much higher than you said

Hidden Lake lodge: 8900'
Lightning Ridge: 9422

I've been to Alta several times but I'd love to get shown around.  I have shovel, probe and beacon for Slide usage here but do not have an AT set up.

I spent a couple of days at Snowbasin just before the Olympics there and its definately lower altitude the Snowbird and Alta and the snow is not as dry but it was nuking snow and there was like 25 cars in the lot.  I love Targhee so I go for the off the beaten path type ski areas.

I found a cool looking new B&B built into an old dairy barn in Huntsville near Snowbasin that is $100 a night called the Jackson Fork Inn - anyone stay there before?   So I think we will do a couple of nights there and the rest in SLC.  Found some good looking lodging deals downtown in a zone with lots of dining options.

I'm thinking about doing two days at Powder, a day at Snowbasin, a couple at Alta and then either a day the Bird or Solitude.  The lift prices look pretty cheap for all but the Bird and PC / DV

Is it as slow getting to Solitude when its snowing as it is getting to Alta?

I agree with Benny I would go nuts getting stuck inside with Interlodge

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Coach Z wrote
Hidden Lake lodge: 8900'
It's all down from there

Coach Z wrote
Lightning Ridge: 9422
You have to take the cat then also hike to reach that elevation though
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Yes but Skimore and tBatt said the summit was 6500 feet elevation.  That is probably elevation of Huntsville and Eden down by the Lake.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Coach Z wrote
Yes but Skimore and tBatt said the summit was 6500 feet elevation.  That is probably elevation of Huntsville and Eden down by the Lake.
I was just reiterating that you may not be finding powder at Pdr Mtn 3 days later with the lower elevation and sun exposure vs the canyons areas
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
But you will due to lack of crowds.
funny like a clown
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by skimore
I have not been there but from looking at the trail map I think both you and Benny are right.  Powder Mt is very 3d so it looks like it probably has lots of different exposures to the sun.

They have a guide service and I was looking at maybe doing that the first day we ski there - it comes with some free single cat rides and you get to cut the lines.  I thought my son might like learning about how to find good powder based on sun exposure etc.  It's not that expensive at $195 for up to 6 people for a full day.  I think it would be a great learning expeience and probably the best way to assure you get the most from what is there that day.
Reply | Threaded
|

takeahike46er
I did a small ski safari last winter in Utah. I kept my options open with the intent of sampling some of Utah's finest. I monitored the weather daily and chose my destination accordingly. Got discounted tickets at the local REI and Canyon Mountain Sports.

I stayed in Sandy.

Pros: Lots of new and reasonably priced hotel options. Close to the Cottonwood Canyons. Nearby bus service to the resorts as a fallback in case chains are required on vehicles. Snowbasin, Powder Mt, Sundance and Park City are nearby as well giving lots of options.

Cons: No charm whatsoever.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Coach Z wrote
I have not been there but from looking at the trail map I think both you and Benny are right.  Powder Mt is very 3d so it looks like it probably has lots of different exposures to the sun.

They have a guide service and I was looking at maybe doing that the first day we ski there - it comes with some free single cat rides and you get to cut the lines.  I thought my son might like learning about how to find good powder based on sun exposure etc.  It's not that expensive at $195 for up to 6 people for a full day.  I think it would be a great learning expeience and probably the best way to assure you get the most from what is there that day.
Miker and I had a guide service for the morning. Wasn't really about learning where to look, more just following him around the mountain for a few runs. North to East facing. Trees are good.

I guess I had summit and base elevation mixed up. My bad.

The thing that's both good and bad about Alta is that they close half the mountain during a crazy storm. You can still have plenty of fun storm skiing (Try skiing Westward Ho off of Wildcat, trees are good for depth perception). Then the day after the storm Ballroom and Baldy Shoulder will open, the next day hopefully all of backside, and lastly Devils Castle and East Castle the following day. Plus, like any mountain, there are a handful of good stashes around.\

Maybe I'm alright with getting interlodged because I already live up there. But if you're staying, whats the difference?

BCC is a bit faster to get up because there is less traffic, and, I could be wrong, but I think the road closes slightly less frequently. It's also 12 miles to the top of BCC and only 8 to LCC. Plus BCC is a bit of a hairier road. But you probably know this already, and I don't have any experience with driving BCC in snowy weather.

This was at about 2:30pm on the first snow after the January Drought.
And I had a handful more days like this, every run, all day long. Weird, right?