45 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Utah and kids

Benny Profane
PeeTex wrote
Benny Profane wrote
I stayed down in strip mall hell in Draper last year, because the room was cheap. I ate some incredible Mexican for cheap.
If I am skiing LCWC & BCWC I stay at the Residence Inn in Sandy, yes - strip malls, but cheap room and cheap groceries & quick access. I don't bother with a 4WD car, I use the bus if the weather is bad, otherwise a 2WD will get up and down just fine. My preference though is the Rustler or GMD, but sometimes I want to explore more than the one canyon.

Cant get interlodged down there, too.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
In reply to this post by joeschmoe
joeschmoe wrote
If you're hitting multiple resorts and don't need the ski town atmosphere of a Park City, stay in SLC.  We always stay at the Crystal Inn Midvale... though the prices have been creeping up over the years, its a good clean place to stay which includes a good breakfast.  
This where I stay. Small local chain. Hotel has an indoor pool and spa. Hot buffet breakfast and a light dinner included. I agree it has been getting pricier lately but it is right off I-215 and has quick access to the LCC & BCC areas.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
PeeTex wrote
Benny Profane wrote
I stayed down in strip mall hell in Draper last year, because the room was cheap. I ate some incredible Mexican for cheap.
If I am skiing LCWC & BCWC I stay at the Residence Inn in Sandy, yes - strip malls, but cheap room and cheap groceries & quick access. I don't bother with a 4WD car, I use the bus if the weather is bad, otherwise a 2WD will get up and down just fine. My preference though is the Rustler or GMD, but sometimes I want to explore more than the one canyon.

Yeah but you can't get up there sometimes either. The best is when the interlodge is lifted and the road is still closed. The skiing is a private experience for the few that are up in the canyon.

I guess I see what you guys are saying about PC, it does have that suburban feel to it. I only hung out there one night and it was a fun one. The SLC thing does provide inexpensive lodging and food, some very good food too.

Still, Utah has nothing on Colorado as far as the quintessential ski town experience goes. Utah will always be Utah and it does have a factor of weird to it, I don't care what anyone says. There is something about it that just makes me feel a bit uneasy.
Reply | Threaded
|

joeschmoe
If the canyon roads are closed, there's other options like Snowbasin or Park City.You're right too in that if you want ski town... Go to Colorado... Since the skiing's better there than in Utah's only ski village - Park City.If you simply want the best skiing at the lowest cost, Salt Lake City cannot be beat anywhere. I honestly don't find it weird at all... Its actually easier to get beer there than in Ontario. The hotels are good and cheap... People are friendly... And everything's so close to the airport.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Benny Profane wrote
PeeTex wrote
Benny Profane wrote

Yeah but you can't get up there sometimes either. The best is when the interlodge is lifted and the road is still closed. The skiing is a private experience for the few that are up in the canyon.

I guess I see what you guys are saying about PC, it does have that suburban feel to it. I only hung out there one night and it was a fun one. The SLC thing does provide inexpensive lodging and food, some very good food too.

Still, Utah has nothing on Colorado as far as the quintessential ski town experience goes. Utah will always be Utah and it does have a factor of weird to it, I don't care what anyone says. There is something about it that just makes me feel a bit uneasy.
Yeah, it's creepy to be around people who are waiting for you to die so that they can convert you into a Mormon.
funny like a clown