classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
45 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Utah and kids

BigK75
Hey Guys:

I have a question for you u guys with kids who go out west.  It's been 9 years since the last time I went out west.  At that time it was on the cheap.  We took a flight to our friends in Chicago and then took a bus which drove for 24 hours.  It was absolutely nuts.  But I got to ski Aspen Mountain and Snowmass for 6 days.  I was with a friend who was strictly a intermediate skier so we pretty much stuck to blue's.  Nonetheless It was great.

Since then a lot has changed.  I now have a 7 year old daughter.  She loves skiing and we go skiing three times a week.  The biggest hill she has been on is Blue Mountain just north of Toronto.  Its a good place to ski but only 700 vertical feet.  She can ski most of the terrain there but goes slow on the black diamonds.  She is getting much better but still has a tiny bit of pizza in her.  You can see still skis like a kid if that makes any sense.  My buddies kid who is 8 and a boy is already skiing with technique that's close to an adult.  This year she will be in the under 10 racing at our local hill so she will get better.  We are going for a trip to Killington (let the flaming begin) this March so she will get to experience the bigger mountains.  

We are planning on going to Utah next year for March break and want to know whether its worth going with kids that young or is it better to ski in the east until they get to a certain age/skill level.  I have not been out west in a long time and I am due, but I don't want to go there and find out that all the terrain is super hard and I wasted my money.  We thought we would ski Alta, Snowbird and Deer Valley.  Thoughts?

Also does anyone have any recommendations on hotels.  I think we would like to stay in Park City.  I don't want super expensive but it cannot be a dump since I am going with my wife and daughter.  

Claude    

sig
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Utah and kids

sig
i can't speak as to your kids ski level but one piece of advice is to keep them hydrated
out west. it will help prevent altitude sickness
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The Park City ski areas were built to cater to the vacationing intermediate skier. There is lots of easy terrain to ski on. Not as much in LCC but you coming out of where you live and what you are used to skiing a day at Alta or the Bird would be plenty entertaining. Your daughter will love it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
You're jumping right to the expert hill before the baby steps you yourself are managing well, on the slope and in your mind. Save Alta/Snowbird until she's really good for, maybe, a 12 year old. There are so many other better places for this. Hey, you'll find some stuff there that would accommodate this, as every mountain has some blues to upper greens, but, not there.

Actually, Aspen sounds awesome for your enviable task. Visited there for the first time in my life last year, and was really impressed at a lot of aspects about the place, especially the family friendly aspect of it, if you can afford it. Four great mountains that span all levels. Aspen itself is great, but, if you're still concerned about her abilities, Buttermilk is a great place to have a first time experience out west with the kid. Then work your way up, but I'll doubt she'll appreciate the hiking on top of Highlands. That's for adults and dirtbags. Snowmass is a place that could exist on it's own, it's so big and varied. She might even appreciate the bizarre cultural experience of hanging with the .01, but, be careful, she may acquire a taste for walking around in firs and a cowboy hat and only talking to the rich boys at school.

There is a good bus system connecting all of these mountains, so, if you look at lodging choices, try to find a place near the bus line, because you could actually ski different mountains and wind up back at the condo or hotel somewhat easily,

Pretty place too, which is important, really. That's what keeps a lot of people going out west.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
In reply to this post by BigK75
We went to Deer Valley for a week when my kids were 8 and 10 and it was fantastic.  At that time, my kids had been skiing for only a few years, but had 1 1/2 seasons of Gore's Mountain Adventure program so were able to handle most trails out there just fine.  The altitude at Deer Valley isn't as high as some places, especially if you stay in the Snow Park area or in Park City, and the town is really fun too. There is a great candy shop in town that the kids went bananas over.  I bet by next year your daughter will be able to handle a lot more terrain.  Don't wait till she's older - start now and keep going! Since that trip, we have taken them to Breckenridge, back to Deer Valley, Chamonix and this year it's Whistler. Of course, by now the kids can ski circles around us, so they are the ones worried that mom and dad won't be able to keep up.  We have such great memories of all of our trips. I just hope we can keep doing them for a long time.  We have one in high school who will be out of the house in a few years so I fear our family ski trips are numbered.  We also took the kids to Steamboat when they were 6 and 8 but their skiing level was pretty low so we spent the whole trip on the easy trails. It was fun, but it was a lot more fun once they learned to ski.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I have been just about everywhere

I agree with Benny.  Alta and snowbird are way too much for a blue skier. SB has very little blue and no green terrain.  If she can't ski powder there is no point in going there.  I personally detest everything about Park City.  Deer Valley is crazy expensive and it's just PC with nicer lodges and better grooming.  Go anywhere but there.

Here are my suggestions.  

Steamboat is great for kids.  Nothing too scary but awesome snow and best tree skiing on the planet.  Great cowboy town.  It's cheaper to stay in town than on the mt but there also are lots of condos.  Check out VBO

Since you are Canadian why not consider Lake Louise.  With oil tanking your Loonie is going to suck wind in the U.S.  I loved LL it's huge and has something for everyone.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
I have been just about everywhere

I agree with Benny.  Alta and snowbird are way too much for a blue skier. SB has very little blue and no green terrain.  If she can't ski powder there is no point in going there.  I personally detest everything about Park City.  Deer Valley is crazy expensive and it's just PC with nicer lodges and better grooming.  Go anywhere but there.

Here are my suggestions.  

Steamboat is great for kids.  Nothing too scary but awesome snow and best tree skiing on the planet.  Great cowboy town.  It's cheaper to stay in town than on the mt but there also are lots of condos.  Check out VBO

Since you are Canadian why not consider Lake Louise.  With oil tanking your Loonie is going to suck wind in the U.S.  I loved LL it's huge and has something for everyone.
I have to disagree with CZ in this, although he is an instructor he probably has not has a reason to check into the Alf Engen ski school, probably the best in the world for bringing up little shredders. Alta has great beginner terrain off of the Cecret lift, something that an expert like CZ would have missed.

Go to Alta, stay with Tbatt at Gold Miners, you will never regret it.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by BigK75
My daughter's first trip to Alta was a trip in April when she was 7.  She could ski southeast blacks by then since she started at age 4.  She had a very good time skiing Alta.  I had her do ski school the first day, which was a day after a dump of about 10 inches of fresh powder.  By the time I picked her up, she was already hunting powder on the edges of the blue groomers.  So other than completely spoiling her by introducing Utah skiing so early, it was quite a fun time.  After that going to Alta for spring break in April became an annual trip.  We meet up with friends at Alta Lodge and kids are free in April until age 12.

I did not take her over to Snowbird until she after was Level 7/8 in Alta Ski School.  Wasn't really much reason given how much terrain is available at Alta for intermediates and advanced skiers who can handle some off-piste terrain.

Definitely helpful to have ski in/out lodging.  Another place to consider is Solitude.  Of course, there is much more to do besides ski when staying in Park City.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
I know a father from Atlanta who stayed at Gold Miners for spring break.  They met up with friends and family when the kids were about ages 7-10.  His son was very much a beginner for the first trip.  Did ski school about half the days during the ski week.  Father was an intermediate who spent most of his time lapping Rock-N-Roll off the Supreme lift.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Alta has much better blue terrain compared to Snowbird.  But by comparison that is only a very small fraction of what steamboats is.  Steamboat also has the highest rated kids ski school program in the country.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
As a beginner, I wouldn't really spend any time at Alta off of the Collins / Wildcat area. Albion Basin has some great beginner / intermediate terrain. Can't attest much for the ski school.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
Another vote for Deer Valley, but only if you are looking primarily for groomers. The mountain is configured well in that it's relatively easy to get from peak to peak.  The snow quality (groomed) is excellent.  There will be no snowboarders racing up behind your daughter.  And while the clientele may be a bit 1%, they tend to be the polite 5% of the 1%.  People hold doors open for one another and are genuinely friendly.  Oh, and there is a free ski valet to store your skis each night, a real plus when skiing with your children.  And given the low altitude, there is little chance for your daughter developing altitude sickness.  Especially if you stay in the lower mountain area.  

I absolutely disagree with Coach Z's comparison with Park City.  My wife and I have skied Utah many times and avoid PC like the plaque but genuinely enjoy DV.  Furthermore, we have found DV to be cheaper than other out West trips that we have taken.  Search VRBO or Home Away and you will find options for lodging at fairly varied price levels.  

Once your daughter is ready for powder and more challenging terrain, go elsewhere.  

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
If you want low elevation and good grooming save the air fare and just go to Okemo.  DV is even lower than PC.  Lots of freeze thaws.  Brings rain into the equation.  All of that equals eastern snow.  All the snow gets dumped in the Cottonwoods before it gets there.

Why bother flying to Utah for that?
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
PeeTex wrote

You know, I don't have kids, but, I would have to say that a parent's job, no matter how much you want to be cool dad, (and the dad who takes a daughter to Alta is like,awesome cool) is to avoid exposing the innocent lass to that culture at an early age. She may turn into a nineteen year old with dreadlocks who ran away with no good underachieving Brian to Colorado to open a dispensary.

No offense, TBatt. Maybe he agrees.
funny like a clown
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Benny made a funny
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
Hey Guys:

Thanks for all the responses.  I read them all, they were great.  It's still a while away and by then she will be 8 years old and should be a decent skier.  She has been skiing since she was 4 years old but the first couple of years were tough.  There was usually a lot of crying and me eventually blowing my top :) I finally gave up and put her into a ski school.  That helped a lot.  Now she is excited about ski racing.  Hopefully she will learn lots this year.  She will be skiing at least 6 hours per week with her race coach and race group.  Then she will spend a few hours with us each week so I am hoping that will pay off by the end of the year.  

Its good to know that SB is not for intermediates.  I still have lot of time to research but you guys helped point me in the right direction.  The reason we are thinking Utah over other places is that the plane tickets seem to be incredibly cheap from Buffalo which is the closest American city from Kitchener.  

Coach Z:  We are going for March break to Killingon and during that time will get out to Okemo once or twice.  i cannot wait to try Okemo.  I have been to Killington but i have not been to Okemo.  
I skied Lake Louise and Sunshine village when i was in my early 20s so I would like to go somewhere new.  

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Killington could actually be dangerous on the saturday of Spring break. I ski there a lot, and consider every Saturday dangerous, and I'm an OK skier. Just be careful where you take her on the mountain (Rams Head is excellent of young skiers), and pull a block behind her when it gets crazy. Good luck.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
Hi Benny:

We are going to be there from Sunday to Friday, but only skiing Monday to Friday.  I always try to ski behind her to ensure no one hits her from behind.  Also it will be on the Canadian spring break which is March 16-20.    

This reminds me of a story from last year:
At my home mountain in Blue Mountain (ontario) I was skiing with my family and our friends and their two boys (same age).  A snowboarder came down flying full speed and slalomed between my wife then our three kids in a row. He came inches from hitting them.  He was very good but nonetheless I thought I was going to kill him.  I skied down as fast I could and tried to catch him.  I had to take the lift and I finally caught him at the top.  I was still enraged.  I ripped him a new one.  After that I thought jeez if would have stood up to me I would have been in trouble as i am more of a lover then a fighter.  :)

I am the most calm person in the world but It just goes to show you...parents will go mental if you come in between them and their babies.  I started feeling bad about chewing out that teenager after a while.  I thought about the times when I did stupid s*** like that when I was young and getting chewed out by some parent.  I used to think WTF is their problem.....now that I am older I know what their problem was.  

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I have 2 young skiing children.  However, we have yet to go out west. I have a good friend who lives about 23-24 mins from the Wildcat Parking Lot, so when we do go out west, we won't have to sport a hotel room.  With that said, I have spent many vacations at the Goldminer's Daughter.  And, despite what Benny may think, from the perspective of a skiing dad with younger kids, I always felt that the Alta lodges with their MAP meal plans would be a great place for younger kids.  You wake up. Walk to the dining room and eat a nice hot breakfast.  You ski all day maybe grab a bite on the hill (or like me fill some pockets at breakfast and you have lunch to go!).  Then you ski down to the base and go inside.  Have some apres-ski fun. Go to your room, shower, walk to the dining room and eat a pretty decent dinner then go back to room sleep and repeat.  To me, nothing could be easier. No deciding where to eat, where to go for apres ski.  The only decision you have to make all week is bourbon or beer.  (I also usually bring a bottle of Kentucky's finest to the room).  I am easy.  I know if you have a wife who isn't a die-hard skier there isn't much at Alta. But if you're skiers, I think staying up in one of the Alta lodges with kids would be a great, easy vacation.  Oh, and Benny, just keep them away from that door leading to the employee rooms on the other end of the hallway from the hot tub and you have nothing to worry.