Vail buys Okemo, Sunapee, Crested Butte

92 messages Options
123456 ... 10
marznc marznc
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Vail buys Okemo, Sunapee, Crested Butte

Found a comment in one article about the Triple Peaks sale that Vail brought up the idea in November 2017.  Adding Okemo, Sunapee, and CB to the Epic Pass was announced in the spring.  Clearly there has been thinking going on around Vail offices for a while.
Danzilla Danzilla
Reply |

Gotta agree with Benny. The Epic Pass turns 10 this year and it has changed the entire industry. Its easy to take potshots at Vail as an "Evil Empire" but the company sounds like a great place to work. ORDA could certainly incorporate some of their ideas about employee fun and customer service.

Interesting article about the CEO and corporate culture:

https://www.mensjournal.com/features/king-of-the-hill-how-vail-resorts-conquered-the-ski-industry-w469851/
Rj1972 Rj1972
Reply |

The sale doesn't break my heart, as I never cared for Tim and Diane Mueller. They had massive egos, with their faces plastered on billboards and advertisements. They walked into Crested Butte with the same bravado, and it did not go over well with the locals, which is why they struggled in the beginning with that acquisition.
marznc marznc
Reply |

Rj1972 wrote
The sale doesn't break my heart, as I never cared for Tim and Diane Mueller. They had massive egos, with their faces plastered on billboards and advertisements. They walked into Crested Butte with the same bravado, and it did not go over well with the locals, which is why they struggled in the beginning with that acquisition.
From what I've been reading, Tim Mueller wanted badly to own and/or operate a big resort in Colorado.  But CB was his third choice after Steamboat and Winter Park.  Clearly his plans didn't work out. I saw that the last new lift at CB was in 2005.  A lot more has been done in terms of major improvements since Okemo was brought up from the brink by the Muellers in the 1980s.  Different time, different region.

At least Vail management knows the Colorado ski industry well.  Not the same as New England in lots of ways.

In 2007, Colorado skiers were complaining about multi-resort season passes from Vail (CO only, pre-Epic) and Intrawest (Rocky Mountain Super Pass) that were around $400.  Those passes are what CB could not compete against in that era.
Rj1972 Rj1972
Reply |

marznc wrote
 A lot more has been done in terms of major improvements since Okemo was brought up from the brink by the Muellers in the 1980s.  Different time, different region.
If memory serves me, the Muellers' bought Okemo way back when for around $600K or so, and truly did a nice job turning it around.
riverc0il riverc0il
Reply |

In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Btw, how's Sunapee? Never been.
It's ass.
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

riverc0il wrote
Benny Profane wrote
It's ass.
I've never heard a ski resort described in such an artful way before.     I've never been to sunapee, but I think I'd give some credence to riverc0il's opinion.  
Milo Maltbie Milo Maltbie
Reply |

In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
Benny Profane wrote
It's ass.
In a good way?

mm
"Welfare mothers make better lovers." Neil Young
Milo Maltbie Milo Maltbie
Reply |

The Okemo deal got me looking at the Epic pass again.  Four days at Stowe, Crested Butte, A-Basin and Breck for $450 might work for me.  Stowe is what really sells it for me. I love Stowe, but for $100 I'm not going.  The same with A-Basin.
It's not about cheap skiing for me. It's all about pre-paying so I get my lazy butt out of the house.

mm

"Welfare mothers make better lovers." Neil Young
marznc marznc
Reply |

Milo Maltbie wrote
The Okemo deal got me looking at the Epic pass again.  Four days at Stowe, Crested Butte, A-Basin and Breck for $450 might work for me.  Stowe is what really sells it for me. I love Stowe, but for $100 I'm not going.  The same with A-Basin.
It's not about cheap skiing for me. It's all about pre-paying so I get my lazy butt out of the house.
pre-paying . . . that's what Vail wants as many people as possible to do.  Adding more locations within a few hours of lots of people who like to ski/board at some level beyond a couple weekends or an annual 1-week ski vacation presumably means more Epic passes will be sold.  For some resorts, that could mean more people on the slopes but not necessarily.  Snow conditions will still be the bigger factor.  In a bad snow year, people will head to the locations with the best snow possible.  So having a pass that covers multiple regions is good for the passholders too.

Only reason I checked out Sugarbush or Stowe in recent years was because they were on the MCP.  I only had a few days to ski in the northeast so the multi-resort pass influenced my choice of route.  Having more options in the northeast for the Epic pass certainly could make a difference in my decision process for a multi-resort pass in the future.
123456 ... 10