Vancouver Island

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Vancouver Island

Saratogahalfday
I'm heading there for a week in late August.  Anyone ever been? I'm psyched.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Vancouver Island

JasonWx
Never been to Vancouver Island , but have been to Vancouver...One of my favorite places in the world...Head over to Squamish or Whistler to ride some bikes
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
Saratogahalfday wrote
I'm heading there for a week in late August.  Anyone ever been? I'm psyched.
It is a very cool place, and big. My wife and I have been there a couple of times, though for relatively short visits. My sister lives on Gabriola Island, near Nanaimo, and two of her adult children live on "the mainland" in Sechelt and Powell River.

Here are a couple of quick thoughts, I'm going to assume you are renting a car:

- if you have the time, take the ferry from Vangroovy. It is a really scenic ride. Be aware of a phenomenon called "ferry stress" caused by rushing to make the sailing time.

- Victoria is a very beautiful city, and full of British charm. Plan on spending some time there.

- If you are into plants, go to the Butchart Gardens.

- go to Tofino. Very groovy, perhaps a bit touristy, but a hippie/surfer/whale-watching/beach-walking kind of place. Very scenic drive to get there, right across the hump of mountains. We stayed in nearby Uclulet, accommodation there was a bit cheaper.

- on the way to Tofino, check out the big trees in Cathedral Grove.

- if you are into mountain biking there is a very active scene on the island.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
SBR, do you know anything about surfing in/around Tofino?  Like what time of year is good, does anyone rent boards?
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
D.B. Cooper wrote
SBR, do you know anything about surfing in/around Tofino?  Like what time of year is good, does anyone rent boards?
Well, I know that there is surfing there. Florencia Beach seems to be a hotspot, the day we were there it was packed with surfers. My sister and her daughters took a course there, so someone must rent stuff. Sorry, I can't be of more help. Just did a quick search on "tofino surboard rental" and there seem to be several shops.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Head over to Squamish or Whistler to ride some bikes
Don't drive hours away to go mountain biking. Vancouver Island has some of the best mountain biking in the world (I have also never been there, but I have read a lot about it).