Vehicle Roof Boxes

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Vehicle Roof Boxes

DrSkimeister
I'm in the process of looking for a roof box to put on my '12 Mazda CX 9. Ability to carry skis/snowboards the obvious necessity, but also hoping for a box to second as a roof carrier for summer beach vacation gear. I've used a Sears clam-shell cargo box on various vehicles over the last 20 yrs for summer travel, but at long last that box has bit the big one. That box afforded 18 cubic of tote space. I've looked at some Thule and Yakima boxes and see some other brands that I'm not familiar with.

Any input from the congregation?
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Vehicle Roof Boxes

Harvey
Administrator
I had to take a look to see what the Mazda looked like. It had something in common with my CRV dimension wise, so I'll give you what I got.

This is an issue that drives met nuts. I have a Thule box that I bought 20 (?) years ago. It was expensive ($600 I think), it's low profile, and it's still completely functional so I can't see getting rid of it. I've had it with three different cars - all CRVs.

The box and even the rack cost me a ton of fuel. At least 5 MPG, so on my current CRV it takes me from 30 down to 25. Even the empty bars cost me nearly that much.

As a result, I want the box and the bars to go on an off easy so I'm never using them when I don't have to.  On my 1998 putting the rack on took 20 minutes.On 2006 CRV there was a GREAT system, I could out the bars on without any tools in about 15 seconds. On my 2012 to remove it completely is a ROYAL PITA so I end up leaving these things on all the time:

(sorry pic taken in the dark)

What I want in a rack is a system that comes on an off quick, and a box that can sit as far back as possible while still allowing full use of the rear gate.  One thing the 1998 and 2006 had was a rear gate that swung sideways. Those are out of vogue now (not sure about the Mazda) but it sucks to have the family on a trip and not be able to use the rear gate.

My two cents, ten dollars.

Good luck. I love and hate roof boxes at the same time.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
I have a Thule Atlantis 1200 that I use when I have 4 adults (vs 2 adults and 2 kids) and go away for a weekend or longer. I have an Audi wagon that has a ski sack. Usually that works fine for day trips (unless there is 5). The box is 12 cubic feet and holds a lot of stuff. This one is one of the smaller ones for skis. It is easy to take on and off and I never leave it on. It drops my highway mpg from 20 to 17. Your mazda is about 10 inches longer than my audi so this box would fit.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
just bought a 12 CX9
i was thinking about the box too, afraid what it's going to do to the already so so mileage..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
X... linky no worky.

JasonWx wrote
just bought a 12 CX9
i was thinking about the box too, afraid what it's going to do to the already so so mileage..
Jason - how big is the engine? What kind of hwy mileage are you getting?
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Thule just changed the site. Here is a link to another site:

Atlantis 1200

Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
just bought a 12 CX9
The mpg for a CX9 3.7 AWD is 16/22, 19 overall. If you go on a 500 mile ski trip and average 22mpg you will spend about $80. ($3.50/gal)  on gas. If you average 19 with a box (more than 10% reduction) on the same trip you will spend $92. If you average 17mpg you will spend $103.

Not really breaking the bank.

Just remove the box if you are not using it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That thing must have a beastly engine?  

I just looked up the CRV EPA ratings are 22/30.  First Honda I've ever had that doesn't beat the highway rating. (First Honda I ever had where I didn't know the EPA ratings either - gettin old!)

We're getting maybe 26/29+ but the 26 is really suburbs, not city.

Jason what are you getting? How big is that engine?

It's ideal if the box fits above the passenger compartment like this:

Thule 1200
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
it's a 6cyl..we bought it to replace my wife's Toyota Sienna.. Great car , but poor mileage..We knew that when we bought it..
Local mileage has been around 17.. The car has less than 1k on it , so maybe that number will go up..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
Thanks for all the replies.

My assumption is that Thule is the gold standard for roof boxes. Has anyone had experience with Yakima or Inno brands?

I've had this CX9 since February. Have about 6500 miles already. Did several trips to upstate NY and VT in the first 2 months, just local travel since. It's been getting 18.8 mpg. I'll be anxious to see how it does with highway travel this summer.

Must say, it does have an ass-kicking BOSE sound system, though.  
It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I got an email today from Wasatch Powder Monkeys hawkin this:

Wasatch Powder Monkeys

If it stays on, could be cool.