classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Volkl Skis for Tele? Alpine?

Harvey
Administrator
Does anybody ski Volkls?  Anyone ever mounted them for tele?

Looking for a new ski this season. 100mm width. Got a opportunity to try some Volkls at the best possible price.

Would like to know what you know.

Seems like the line is all new, or maybe just new names and graphics?  

http://volkl.com/ski/skifinder#
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Volkl Skis for Tele? Alpine?

Sick Bird Rider
I seriously considered the Mantra when shopping for my Prophets a few years ago. Have seen several tele setups on Mantras at Jay. It has a reputation for being VERY stiff (see RivercOil's review somewhere on his site). Many people have descried it as a "fat GS ski." The new version has rocker and is a bit wider. If I was you, I would take a hard look at the Volkl Bridge. It gets rave reviews as an EC all-round tree/groomer/pow ski. Or if you are keeping your Icelantics, man up and get the Goats.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
The word I've heard is the Nanuq (131-96-114) and the Bridge (128-95-115)
are great tele skis.  The Numataq (139-107-123) is suppose to be an awesome
tele powder board too.  The new Mantra is 132-98-118.  I have a prior version and I agree a fat GS ski.  They will do anything, but are not what I'd call a quick turner.  They are stable and can blast through anything, but more of a GS type turn.
I know people who have the Nanuq & Bridge and both are happy....welcome to the world of ROCKER.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

HoliScott
I'm on a pair of 08 Mantras with Marker Jesters on them (for now) as my western ski.  I'm going to put those bindings on a pair of Ullrs Chariot and put Axls on the Mantras.  They are a burly ski but I can move them just fine.  Earlier poster is correct when he states they do not turn quick-they don't.  Nor do they like to be forced too quickly into a turn on harder snow no matter now much shin pressure you put to the front of the ski.  The best way to describe the ski's desire to turn is by doing a 1-2-3 count (real time) engage-transition-engage.  Any faster=chatter.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Harvey, if you want to try my goats alpine to get a feel for the flex you're welcome to. I think the mantra might be a bit too stiff for a tele setup. I would look into something with more pop but still stiff in a lighter weight like a praxis mountain freeride. Slightly tighter turn radius, awesome build, ultra light and in stock and cheap till 11/1.
Reply | Threaded
|

HoliScott
I guess I don't understand what "too stiff for a tele setup" could possibly mean b/c you can and I've seen, people put tele bindings on GS skis for hardback Eastern skiing.  I could see what too stiff for him would mean if you were trying to use this ski on hard pack and you are not a bigger person (I am, 205, 6'2")
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I was speaking specifically about Harvey and how/what he wants to ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

HoliScott
^^got it, thought that's what you meant.
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
I've been on Volkl carving skis for years and I demoed Mantras once.

In general, yes, Mantras are known for being stiff. They aren't stiff all the way through, though, and if you figure out how to ski them they are a blast. They require attention. Some people like that, some don't. The traditional Volkl flex pattern involves a softer tip and a stiffer tail. On harder snow, or 9 out of 10 days around here, that means snappy turns. The edge up by the tip catches quickly, snaps around the sweet spot with a lot of energy, and the tail rounds it out and gives the turn a feeling of completion. Many people say Volkl cores have a lot of pop, and I agree. I think that, combined with the stiffness, is ideal for any groomed trail or choppy (but not bumped) area that requires a lot of trust in your skis. They are consistent and will handle the force you dish out. True, for deeper days they are neither super fat nor super playful, but I think it's worth compromising toward hard snow. The other, more common ungroomed setting where they shine is fresh man-made snow. It's thick, heavy, and often accompanied by hardpack or ice underneath. You will get more consistent, confident turns in this kind of snow as long as you are a strong skier. There's nothing sketchier than feeling snow pull your skis in ways you don't want them to go. With a good forward stance, Mantras fight back in funky conditions.

All that being said, I know nothing about this year's models. I'm eager to hear what others think.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ml242 is speaking after a convo we had.  I've got my Icelantic Pilgrims (90mm) as my daily drivers.  I need something for pow - I rarely get to ski more than a foot of untracked, and I am a decent but not great skier.

Looks like the Nunataq (139-107-123) is no longer.

The Gotama is full rocker and looks like it runs long:

http://volkl.com/ski/skiis/models/gotama

"One of the most award-winning skis of the 09/10 season, the Gotama features Völkl's exclusive Extended Low Profile (ELP) rocker technology and a new, rounded top edge for even better manueverability in deep snow. For good skiers who want a playful big mountain twin tip ski that you can also ski all around the mountain as an every day ski."

LENGTH - RADIUS
    170 - 23.6
    178 - 26.1
    186 - 28.8
    194 - 31.5

SIDECUT
    137-106-122

Anybody skied it?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I use the Goats, but I got the last model year before they switched to the rocker. They rip, but I can't really comment on the new model (I guess this isn't too much help).
Reply | Threaded
|

HoliScott
I wonder if the Gotamas would be overkill since you rarely get to ski deeper snow?  Mid-fat like a Line Prophet 98 or a Ullr Chariot might be better suited for your needs.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
HoliScott... my daily driver is an Icelantic Pilgrim (90mm). Volkl reached out and asked me to demo a ski from their line.

They seem to be most interested in my skiing (and writing about) their new RTM line, but the fattest board in that line is ~88mm.  I was hoping to try something fatter to round out the quiver. I already have skis that are 70mm and 78mm and I rarely use them.

I actually think the Prophet 98 is probably an ideal ski for me, but they don't seem to be offering me one.
Reply | Threaded
|

HoliScott
Actually, the tests I've seen put the Line 98 below the Blizzard Bona Fide.  How bout that manufacturer, ya got hook ups?  The Ullrs I have ordered have a 15M turn radius and are 101 underfoot.  They are getting some nice write ups on real skiers.com (ski of the year 2 years in a row).  They say it will even work on a GS course on hard snow!  This ski I cannot wait to try.  
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Harvey
RTM? Remember the Milk?

Does Volkl know you are a Tele guy that hates long ripping groomers? It seems like you are the polar opposite person that this ski was designed for. Do they even sell these flat any more?

I've seen a few tele guys ripping Mantras or Goats but very few. Volkl never struck me as having a tele brand but hey, free demo, rock it out on whatever they'll give you!
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by HoliScott
HoliScott wrote
Actually, the tests I've seen put the Line 98 below the Blizzard Bona Fide.  How bout that manufacturer, ya got hook ups?  The Ullrs I have ordered have a 15M turn radius and are 101 underfoot.  They are getting some nice write ups on real skiers.com (ski of the year 2 years in a row).  They say it will even work on a GS course on hard snow!  This ski I cannot wait to try.
We need reportage on that ski!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
RTM? Remember the Milk?

Does Volkl know you are a Tele guy that hates long ripping groomers? It seems like you are the polar opposite person that this ski was designed for. Do they even sell these flat any more?

I've seen a few tele guys ripping Mantras or Goats but very few. Volkl never struck me as having a tele brand but hey, free demo, rock it out on whatever they'll give you!
Yea Harv, tell them what you ski and ask them what they got. If they gots nots yo ski style, take whatever top ski they'll give ya and let your buds rip it and write about it.

There'ld be no shortage of volunteers who vant to vip on Volkls.     Lots of volks vould! Javoul mein Herr-vy!

There's really no sense in going all Herman Cain and telling Volkl Nein! Nein! Nein!

Anyway, you're getting to be an regular almost, kinda quasi, semi sorta famous guy mein Herr-vy.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I am very interested on what people think about the RTMs in the east.  I no doubt think they would be a great ski for pow and the trees but I need to be convinced that full rocker has any benefit in the east.  I'd like to see it ripping Rumor or upper skyward in "normal eastern conditions".  I have a pair of 208cm Rossi 4Ss from 25 or so years ago and they are now fully rockered.  They ski like 190s.  Can't wait to ride my "new" 2011 Ac50s...170cm probably like skiing the RTM in a 195
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Amazing that a Line 98 is a mid-fat now.

I really never thought about reaching out to a manufacturer. These guys just emailed me, but I haven't heard back. I basically said I wanted something fatter and softer and haven't heard back.  It's probably not good for them or me if I demo something that isn't right for me. Every day is precious and I don't want to ski I can't turn.

Maybe suds should demo the Volkls?  Who makes the most sense?  Not saying I can swing it.

Blizzard Bonafide
Reply | Threaded
|

HoliScott
Harvey, actually I'm an alpinist first, tele dude 2nd.  My quiver is a pair of Blizzard SLR Slaloms; Volkl Mantras, and Ullr Chariots (soon!) while I tele on Karhu Kodiaks w/ HH's on them.  I'm going to put the Marker Jester bindings off my Mantras on to my Ullrs and mount up some Axl's on the Mantras.  I get out West at least 1x/year for extended periods and always alpine but wish for tele skis of my own, hence the Mantra conversion.  I rip long, short and medium radius turns, bumps, trees, back country, side country, front side, name it,  Terrain parks/half pipes too.